Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > BIRD OF PREY TALK > Longwings - Falco > Pursuit Hawking

Old 24-01-2013, 02:33 PM
Dave
Egg

Default Re: RC Planes and Falconry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Joe View Post
Thanks Anton ,
I have a spektrum dx6i reciever and tx etc. Just wondered if the trailing lure rig would cause instability of the wing ? Have you seen any in action or are you experimenting .?
atb Dave
As long as the lure is attached exactly at the planes centre of gravity, it has no effect at all apart from minor drag.[/QUOTE]

Thank you Jannes
Old 24-01-2013, 02:53 PM
Chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony James View Post
Hi Francois,

Were the sakers trained with the aid of an RC plane?

Best wishes,

Tony.
Hello Tony and others,
Yes my sakers have been trained with the RC plane.
In fact we introduced the RC plane during our tame hack of 3 peregrines and my 2 saker hybrids.
The birds had been introduced to the kite while at hack and after 3 days of kite flying, we introduced the plane. They all chased the towed lure immediately.
The peregrines were significally faster then the sakers and always grabbing the lure first.
I continued the RC plane exercises for 3 or 4 more days after the hack with the sakers in cast and they caught their first crow on the 6th day after hack.
The plane I used is a kit from Multiplex called the Funcub. It is powered by a very silent electric motor. Mine has a slightly upgraded motor but the stock motor is powerful enough.
I use crow wings tied to a light leather lure. The plane can climb vertically at 8m/s+ and cruise much faster then a peregrine can.
In a dive the peregrine is faster but for training a pursuit falcon, I feel this is an excellent tool. It is extremely easy and quick to setup and far more reliable then the kite.
Old 24-01-2013, 06:26 PM
Chick

This shows the model I use. It can take off from unprepared surface or can be hand launched.
The flaps gives a wider flight envelope and improves low speed handling and short field landings and takeoffs.
The huge wheels means it can virtually land anywhere.
It's a work horse
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tug3.jpg (19.1 KB, 215 views)
Old 24-01-2013, 06:54 PM
Kevin McMillan - Official Site Sponsor
Passage

Default Re: RC Planes and falconry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Jerry View Post
Hi Kevan

Yes Alan has mastered this as a training aid already, he use combat wings. Smaller, tougher and cheaper. But once you stick your head in the RC world you see it is actually not expensive and simple, at least the levels that I'm using. Learn to fly the plane in the off-season and you are set for the season.

Cheers
Anton
Sounds good to me i have a look into it.Thanks
Kevin
Old 24-01-2013, 06:59 PM
Haggard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florrain View Post
Hello Tony and others,
Yes my sakers have been trained with the RC plane.
In fact we introduced the RC plane during our tame hack of 3 peregrines and my 2 saker hybrids.
The birds had been introduced to the kite while at hack and after 3 days of kite flying, we introduced the plane. They all chased the towed lure immediately.
The peregrines were significally faster then the sakers and always grabbing the lure first.
I continued the RC plane exercises for 3 or 4 more days after the hack with the sakers in cast and they caught their first crow on the 6th day after hack.
The plane I used is a kit from Multiplex called the Funcub. It is powered by a very silent electric motor. Mine has a slightly upgraded motor but the stock motor is powerful enough.
I use crow wings tied to a light leather lure. The plane can climb vertically at 8m/s+ and cruise much faster then a peregrine can.
In a dive the peregrine is faster but for training a pursuit falcon, I feel this is an excellent tool. It is extremely easy and quick to setup and far more reliable then the kite.
That's interesting Francois, particularly for a boring old traditionalist like me
When I saw those large falcons in pursuit of RC plane towed lures last year, it was pretty obvious that they offered possibilities for use with pursuit falcons, and I should have thought then that my modernising belgian friends would make use of them.
I bet it won't be long before you have a video of it, filmed by the pursuing falcon!

Best wishes,

Tony.
Old 24-01-2013, 06:59 PM
Anton Muller
Brancher

Thanks Anton ,
I have a spektrum dx6i reciever and tx etc. Just wondered if the trailing lure rig would cause instability of the wing ? Have you seen any in action or are you experimenting .?
Atb Dave[/QUOTE]

Alan Harvey use the wing with great success, the hobby guys tell me they are harder to fly but another falconer has recently switched to the wing from a Radian and is doing well. once you get the hang of it its fine. For practicality as a falconry tool I'm moving that way. But I must say the Funcub of Florrain is making my thumbs itch. It is also just nice to watch a pretty plane fly and have the great benefit of a very fit falcon. Like I tell some of the guys of my plane endeavours - I don't just fly ; I fly missions.

Cheers
Anton
Old 24-01-2013, 07:27 PM
Chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony James View Post
I bet it won't be long before you have a video of it, filmed by the pursuing falcon!
It's on the weekend's agenda
Old 24-01-2013, 07:43 PM
Haggard

Quote:
It's on the weekend's agenda
Good stuff!

Maybe I'll see you before the end of the season? I hope so.

Best wishes,

Tony.
Old 24-01-2013, 08:39 PM
Gary
Brancher

How would it be used for waiting-on falcons or is it only good for
Pursuit birds.

Quote:
This shows the model I use. It can take off from unprepared surface or can be hand launched.
The flaps gives a wider flight envelope and improves low speed handling and short field landings and takeoffs.
The huge wheels means it can virtually land anywhere.
It's a work horse
Old 24-01-2013, 08:45 PM
Mark
Haggard

My plane should be tomorrow cant wait