Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > EQUIPMENT & HOUSING > Bells & Leather Equipment

Old 23-01-2016, 06:24 PM
Bradley Church
Passage

Default Making Leather Equipment

Hi Everyone

As I have posted before, a family member gave me a workstation and tools for making my own Falconry equipment. I want to start making my own equipment both as a pastime and to get to grips with it all before I get a bird. As I have heard from many Falconers who I've met, making your own equipment is way cheaper than buying the finished product in. I have some offcuts of leather ready and a source where I can easily get tools, all I need is a little guidance on how to make the equipment.

Does anyone have anything that would be able to help me with this? If there are any threads on this topic already, could you put a link to them for me? I want to start on making any equipment that can be made out of leather e.g. jesses, anklets, bewits etc. I will post my efforts on here as best as I can, not that they'll be very good at first but I aim from starting early to be confident in a few years.

Happy Hawking

Bradley
Old 23-01-2016, 10:24 PM
Mick Bourne
Passage

Default Re: Making Leather Equipment

hi Bradley,
You should be able to get all the info you need from any number of books
Jemima's Training birds of Prey, Emma Ford's Falconry Art and practice show the making of most stuff.
you tube has various video demonstrations.

If you get stuck I can send you some pieces to look at and copy or if you like I can give you some tuition.
Old 23-01-2016, 11:17 PM
Passage

Bradley

Get yourself an experienced local mentor.

Regards
Mike
Old 24-01-2016, 08:05 AM
Bradley Church
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMick View Post
hi Bradley,
You should be able to get all the info you need from any number of books
Jemima's Training birds of Prey, Emma Ford's Falconry Art and practice show the making of most stuff.
you tube has various video demonstrations.

If you get stuck I can send you some pieces to look at and copy or if you like I can give you some tuition.
Thanks Mick, I think I have both of those and I'll also have a look on YouTube. I'd be up for you showing me how to make it, I always love being able to see someone showing me something in person. I think I'll look in the books first, there at actually be some templates in their.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XiaTeal'c View Post
Bradley

Get yourself an experienced local mentor.

Regards
Mike
I'm lucky in the sense that a few Falconers have taken me under their wing. This is great because I can get a range of opinions on something and not one flies the same species of bird. Closer to the time of me getting a bird, I'll make sure I have someone to help me through the process who has the time etc. available on their part. I wish to involve all of them in me getting a bird as it can only be a good thing to have all of their inputs. From this, I hope to find my own way of doing things, as from what I can see already, everyone has their own way of Falconry.

Regards

Bradley
Old 02-02-2016, 08:53 PM
Passage

Some good videos on YouTube m8 just put in what you want to make and the will be a video of an experienced falconer making them 👍🏻
Old 03-02-2016, 12:55 PM
Bradley Church
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Kissane View Post
Some good videos on YouTube m8 just put in what you want to make and the will be a video of an experienced falconer making them 👍🏻
I've already had a look on YouTube and there are some good ones on there, although some are a little hard to understand for me. I will just see how things go, it's 1/2 Term holidays soon so I'll probably make my first piece then. I've been up to my head in exams and other studies so I'll get a decent few days to get making. I've looked at various other websites giving instructions also, I'll link some of them tonight and see what everyone thinks.

Thanks for your comment.

Bradley
Old 03-02-2016, 02:43 PM
Brancher

Hi Bradley,

I use 8mm eyelets on my anklets for my birds. I find that jesses that are 12mm wide are a good fit with the eyelets as the width makes them easy enough to pull through eyelets but wide enough to not fall out when flying. If you cut 12mm strips out of your leather make sure you use a sharp knife/scalpel because a blunt instrument can make small tears in the edge of the leather which can weaken it substantially. When cutting the leather try and get a nice smooth motion and cut the whole length in one go (a metal safety ruler is good for this as you can guide the knife with it).

I wouldn't worry too much about sorting length initially. I tend to make a batch of reasonable length and adjust the length when I need either a mews jess or flying jess.

With regards to creating the button, some fold the leather twice but I like to fold it 3 times. I fold the leather and create a small pilot hole through the middle of the button before unfolding and punching 4mm holes using the pilot holes as a guide.

For a mews jess when you create the slit for the swivel use a small punch to punch holes at either end of the slit, this will help prevent tearing.

Also - have you looked into creating paracord jesses? I have found them to be excellent, resistant to water damage, paracord material is very cheap if you look in the right places. You could make 15+ pairs of jesses for ú5 worth of paracord. Look for some tap washers from screwfix to use as paracord buttons (around a fiver for a pack of 100).

A good link for paracord equipment -

http://ryanvanzant.blogspot.co.uk/20...ss-how-to.html

ATB,

Wes
Old 03-02-2016, 04:40 PM
Bradley Church
Passage

Thanks for your help Wes, I'll look at that site a little later on. Although it's leather equipment that interests me the most, I've heard good things about paracord equipment. You've included some nice things in there me to follow, thanks again!

Cheers

Bradley
Old 03-02-2016, 04:58 PM
Brancher

No worries Bradley, maybe post a pic up for us to see your efforts

ATB,

Wes
Old 03-02-2016, 05:28 PM
Haggard

Hang on ill try this link

Let me know if it works for you ,you should be able to see an album on eqpt making all sorts of stuff , may be of use to you

If the link doesnt work for you ill email you the link

Http://s120.photobucket.com/user/qdg...uipment%20pics