Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > FALCONRY HUNTING & HAWKING DISCUSSIONS > General Falconry & Bird Talk

Old 19-07-2015, 06:45 PM
Passage

Default Re: Black backed gull wings

Can you hunt these?
Old 19-07-2015, 07:26 PM
Sean Donnelly
Haggard

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Love My Dog View Post
Can you hunt these?
I believe they can be put on general licence.
Old 19-07-2015, 07:29 PM
Passage

There are loads of the blighters near me. They are a right pain. I don't have anything to hunt them with.
Old 19-07-2015, 07:31 PM
Sean Donnelly
Haggard

Just found this for you
All species of gull are protected under the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 and the Wildlife (Northern Ireland) Order 1985.

This makes it illegal to intentionally or, in Scotland and Northern Ireland, recklessly injure or kill any gull or damage or destroy an active nest or its contents. In Scotland and Northern Ireland, it is also illegal to prevent birds from accessing their nest, and in Northern Ireland, it is illegal to disturb any nesting bird. In addition, the Mediterranean gull is protected under Schedule 1 of both Acts making it illegal to intentionally or recklessly disturb the birds at or close to their nest or to disturb their dependent young.

However, the law recognises that in certain circumstances control measures may be necessary. Simple nuisance or minor damage to property are not legally sanctioned reasons to kill gulls. The UK administrations can issue licences, permitting nests to be destroyed or even birds to be killed if there is no non-lethal solution, and if it is done to prevent serious damage to agriculture, the spread of disease, to preserve public health and safety and air safety, or to conserve other wild birds.

These licences can be specific - issued to individuals on a case-by-case basis or general granted annually by the country administrations for use by an Ĺauthorised personĺ (usually the landowner, occupier or someone authorised by them).

The general licences their terms and conditions and the species to which they apply vary in different parts of the UK, and they can be altered or withdrawn at any time. Anyone considering action against any gull must first consult the appropriate country agency for the current licence terms and conditions. See the links on the right. These agencies should also be contacted for information on specific deterrent or control measures; we are not in a position to advise on these.

Actions outside the terms and conditions of a general licence or that have not been permitted by any other individual licences are criminal offences.
Old 19-07-2015, 09:59 PM
Passage

Thanks for that. Guess I had better get used to them then.
Old 19-07-2015, 11:05 PM
Sean Donnelly
Haggard

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Love My Dog View Post
Thanks for that. Guess I had better get used to them then.
New legislation could well be on its way as the general public in some area are getting sick of them,
Old 20-07-2015, 11:13 AM
Mark Hodgson
Chick

There are no problems taking gulls for falconry as long as you apply for a quarry licence from Natural England, all you have to do is tell them which species you want to take and where (up to five counties) and they will tell you how many you can take. Been doing it for years although I understand the format of the licence is to be changed this year.
Regards,
Mark.
Old 20-07-2015, 08:09 PM
Egg

There's two species of Black backed gulls in England, the lesser and the greater. The lesser black backed wings are only slightly darker than the herring gull whereas the Greater black back gulls wings and nearly black and it's one of the largest gulls seen in the UK.

With regards to the general license Lesser black backs are on it..greater black backed are protected.

The general license states that to operate under it you need to be an authorised person using approved methods for authorised reasons. Not everyone is eligible to operate under the general license, certain criminal convictions etc will make you not eligible. Before killing any birds under the terms of the general license you have to be able to demonstrate you've tried non lethal methods to remove them first.

Regards
CC
Old 20-07-2015, 08:16 PM
Passage

Thanks
Old 21-07-2015, 12:36 AM
Mark Hodgson
Chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coneycatcher View Post
There's two species of Black backed gulls in England, the lesser and the greater. The lesser black backed wings are only slightly darker than the herring gull whereas the Greater black back gulls wings and nearly black and it's one of the largest gulls seen in the UK.

With regards to the general license Lesser black backs are on it..greater black backed are protected.

The general license states that to operate under it you need to be an authorised person using approved methods for authorised reasons. Not everyone is eligible to operate under the general license, certain criminal convictions etc will make you not eligible. Before killing any birds under the terms of the general license you have to be able to demonstrate you've tried non lethal methods to remove them first.

Regards
CC
This is all correct, that is why you need to apply to Natural England for a quarry licence I have Lesser and Greater Black backed on mine.
Regards,
Mark.