Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > INTRODUCTIONS & FORUM GUIDANCE > New to the Forum?

Old 16-02-2016, 02:33 PM
Egg

Default Re: Newbie here, advice on Black shouldered kite needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebli1 View Post
I used to keep one years ago it was an african one , which are basically identical , young bird as well.

these birds are to be treated like common kestrels,
another point is heat: food shouldn't be left there , nor should the bird be forcefeed ( this is a last resource in very special circunstances;
food:reptiles, and mammal meat is just right.
big insects as well if you happen to be able to find some .
may I suggest you to feed and train it on several type of prey ( in a close place if possible ) insects, lezards ,mice etc.. the more varied the better.

then train him free and try to catch something outside , then increase its weight
slowly , until he will just fly away , with experience, knowledge of the area andplenty of prey around , that could give it a good chance.
for any advice don't hesitate you will find good ones here .
best regards
juan
I am a newbie too on this site friend and my first post but I have to say Nebil1 nailed it on the head. Great advice. I have recently done what he said/similar here in Africa with a Fish Eagle.
I have had black shouldered kites here in Africa and its diet is as mentioned, insects - locusts crickets etc and mice. They will take gecko's and lizards too but insects and mice are the winners on the Kites I had.
Well done and the very best of luck,
Moz.
Old 16-02-2016, 04:02 PM

Nebli and Moz: Thank you for the information that you guys provided, I do remember reading on the diet of kites. You are definitely correct, their diet consists of insects and lizards as well which shouldn't be too difficult to find here in Thailand. My kite (alan) is one stubborn bird though, he has gotten quite aggressive and impatient with the splint on his leg. I am consistently checking on him to make sure he does not cause any more damage to himself.

I find myself reading and searching for additional information. One site I have came across is "The Modern Apprentice" which seems to be a legit and helpful site along with this forum. It appears that nutrition is the number one key factor here, a poor diet can contribute to newer problems in the long run.

Has anyone tried giving their bird raw eggs as an extra nutritional boost? In what way do you feed it to your birds? I tried mixing it with pieces of raw chicken today but the bird refused to eat it once he tasted the egg.
Old 16-02-2016, 04:43 PM
Brancher

Raw eggs will work as a booster but it is messy. I've used when cropfeeding. By the looks of your perch it seems fine to me.
Old 17-02-2016, 11:36 AM
Brancher

don't experiment too much with food , if you can have healthy meat ( of kinds discussed already) that's fine.
try to spend twice as long observing your hawk than you spend reading any book, observation will be much more profitable .
observe him when it is hungry , how it reacts and move, do the same when saciated you will with some dedication read your hawk better than any book around .
try to find out how it shows its displeasure , what makes it warry or afraid
does it like to bath in dust ? water ?
What makes him nervous, when does it bite to its splinters, when does it forget about them and plenty of etc....
Old 17-02-2016, 05:07 PM

Nebli: Well said, I agree. In the beginning I feared for his life since I lacked knowledge on the requirements needed to keep him alive. Both psychological and nutritional. Before I would lightly spray him wet since he would only stare at the empty bowl of water that I would provide for him to bathe in. Because of his splint, I must wait for another 3 weeks until it comes off.

Here is a photo of him from earlier today, I awoke to find him on his perch. On one leg of course but as I said, Alan is stubborn but shows a lot of heart. I've become fond of him and his courage.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WP_20160217_002.jpg (96.3 KB, 63 views)
Old 17-02-2016, 05:14 PM
Bradley Church
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DancingFrawg562 View Post
Nebli: Well said, I agree. In the beginning I feared for his life since I lacked knowledge on the requirements needed to keep him alive. Both psychological and nutritional. Before I would lightly spray him wet since he would only stare at the empty bowl of water that I would provide for him to bathe in. Because of his splint, I must wait for another 3 weeks until it comes off.

Here is a photo of him from earlier today, I awoke to find him on his perch. On one leg of course but as I said, Alan is stubborn but shows a lot of heart. I've become fond of him and his courage.
He is looking in better condition, I think a little bit of weight has been lost as the chest looks sharper in this photo. The bird is also looking more alert than the other photos. How are you finding things with him at the moment, what are you planning to do next?

Bradley
Old 17-02-2016, 07:33 PM
Haggard

Can i suggest you find a large block of wood to place him on if he chooses to lie then he can without having to get down from height,ideally he would be better loose in a pen , also i cant see but don't tie him at all on the broken leg if you are
Old 18-02-2016, 03:14 PM

Bradaz: Yes he is, it surprised me waking up to find him standing on his perch. Last week he would only consume 1 chick. This week I find him with a bigger appetite, he eats 1 chick in the morning and 1 in the evening. Not to mention I find him a little more aggressive as well. I plan on caring for him for as long as I can. If all else fails and he is unhappy then I will release him in time.

Shaun: He is not tied to the perch. The Vet cut off the jesse that was attached to his damaged leg in order to put the splint on. He was actually inside a carton box, he managed to get out somehow. A block of wood should be easy to find here, should it be a plain block of wood or a block of wood with some "grip" attachment to it?
Old 18-02-2016, 05:52 PM
Haggard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DancingFrawg562 View Post
Bradaz:

Shaun: He is not tied to the perch. The Vet cut off the jesse that was attached to his damaged leg in order to put the splint on. He was actually inside a carton box, he managed to get out somehow. A block of wood should be easy to find here, should it be a plain block of wood or a block of wood with some "grip" attachment to it?

ah good

A simple sawn block about 12 inch in circumference and about 6 inches high will suffice a little rough on the surface will be fine no big grooves to trap food in
Old 18-02-2016, 06:07 PM
Brancher

They naturally perch on wires and branches. I don't think a block is good. However for a bird with a broken leg it might be good for now.