Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > INTRODUCTIONS & FORUM GUIDANCE > New to the Forum?

Old 11-03-2016, 01:40 PM

Default Re: Newbie here, advice on Black shouldered kite needed

It's been a few days since I have logged into this forum. Tomorrow I will be taking Alan (kite) to the Vet to have his splint fully removed. Hopefully the X-ray results show a fully and properly healed leg. He has definitely gained strength and mobility.

So, it appears Alan is what we may refer to a 'screaming imprint' at the moment. His screaming has definitely increased these past several days bringing annoyance to me and my neighbors. I have read several factors that contribute to this behavior, age and boredom. These two I may relate to.

I have been hooding him when the screaming becomes too intense, it seems to work only temporarily. It is not a scream that calls for food but a scream that is the cause from something else. My two guesses are his age (4-5 months) and boredom. Will this phase eventually pass or am I caring for a long term screaming raptor?

Next week I am thinking of making him several perches where he can fly from one to the other. Hopefully this keeps him distracted and interested. A bird that is jessed to his perch and sits there most of the entire day definitely has to get bored I am assuming.

How have you gentlemen dealt with your screaming raptors in the past?
Old 11-03-2016, 03:19 PM
Brancher

you've got a problem monitoring meals.
you have partly to dissociate food from you
but really the key will be where the kite stands, what mew you can provide it . if you put down its weight it will scream even more
if you increase it it will become wild and injure itself.
So accomodations have to be perfect to start managing it .
Old 11-03-2016, 04:20 PM
Bradley Church
Passage

Fingers crossed his leg will be fully healed, then you can probably begin work on his screaming. One of the common solutions to boredom that I've heard of is giving the bird an interesting view. For example, a garden or road where there's plenty of activity whether it be human or not. Putting a variety of perches will not only help prevent conditions such as bumblefoot but also provide variety which should also help to keep him occupied. This is the type of common knowledge that I've picked up through listening to other Falconers. I think there were some threads done of this already, I'll have a look for you.

I love the name you've chosen for him! Good luck and keep us updated on his progress.

Regards

Bradley
Old 12-03-2016, 01:06 PM

Nebli: He screams before and after meals, even at the presence of people who he is normally fond of. Today his behavior was quite intense, I had to hood him 3 times to have him quiet. My neighbors have started to wonder if I am torturing or harming the bird in some way. Even after a full meal (1 day old chick) he is still screaming afterwards.

Bradaz: His leg has not fully healed. Sadly, he will remain with his splint attached for another 2 more weeks. The X-Ray image showed where the break occurred, a fully severe broken leg. Callus has started to build but it is not enough at the time being. I am curious why the Vets did not apply any pins to have the bones reattached.

Thank you for your advice Bradaz, I will definitely place him near the window along with several perches on sight. I am 'hoping' this will ease his screaming.

This past week I have noticed one of his eyelids swelling, in the past couple of days it worsened. The Vet said that the hood has somehow caused an irritation contributing to swelling as well. Sigh....The wonderful world of falconry and raptor keeping I am assuming, so much to learn on my end. Having Alan has definitely been an interesting experience as well as a pain in the a**.
Old 12-03-2016, 02:15 PM
Haggard

This is nothing to do with boredom, it's a food imprint, either seclude it and chute feed (defeats the objective), release and tame hack or move
Old 17-03-2016, 09:46 PM

Well guys, I would like to thank all of you who took the time to provide me with helpful answers and advice. Unfortunately, I woke up just a few minutes ago to find Alan on the floor. He passed. I am unsure why but it is truly heartbreaking. Anyways, I did try my best to care for him. 1 hour drives to the Vet, perches/jesses/hood, expenses for his broken leg, supplements (calcium), frozen food (1 day old chicks, mice, quail), sunshine, bathing and daily attention.

He will truly be missed.

I can go on searching for many reasons and blame myself for his cause but I am truly unsure why. It could've been from overheating since he was placed in a carton box on the way to BKK, I have done it several times before but he was always fine.

That being said, I know it is a part of life and many raptors don't survive at their teens from what I was told. Now that I gained some firsthand experience, I am interested in owning a raptor that is more suitable and easier to care for. What raptors do you guys recommend for beginners and what traits to look for in a particular raptor?
Old 17-03-2016, 09:51 PM
Passage

Sorry for your loss
Old 18-03-2016, 07:17 AM
Brancher

first it is important to find why , not for blaming yourself but to learn to correct or avoid it in the future .

there is no "easy hawk" but the easiest one will be the one more adaptable to your place, style, sparetime of live .
then what exactly you want to achieve with it ,
then it will be time to talk about hawks.
best regards
juan
Old 18-03-2016, 12:51 PM
Bradley Church
Passage

Sorry for your loss, you tried your best to care for him. Hopefully you take him to the vet and you're able to find out why he passed.

Bradley