Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > BIRD OF PREY TALK > Eagles - Aquila

Old 04-11-2013, 10:47 AM
Gerry Plant
Passage

Default Re: Mr Bolts diary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reubs View Post
Glad things are coming along. Please don't take this the wrong way or if I'm telling grandma how to suck eggs tell me

But I found with Elsa that doing a hard rope session then giving her a day off then a hard rope session and so on brought her into fitness much quicker! It's like when you go to the gym the day after your sore and don't really won't to do a hard workout! Once the fitness is there then consecutive days aren't to much of a problem. Since doing this the last few seasons it works really well! I know every bird is different but it might be worth a go.

Atb Reuben
Good advice with any hawk I think Reuben.

Gerry x
Old 04-11-2013, 07:22 PM
Steve Skinner
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reubs View Post
Glad things are coming along. Please don't take this the wrong way or if I'm telling grandma how to suck eggs tell me

But I found with Elsa that doing a hard rope session then giving her a day off then a hard rope session and so on brought her into fitness much quicker! It's like when you go to the gym the day after your sore and don't really won't to do a hard workout! Once the fitness is there then consecutive days aren't to much of a problem. Since doing this the last few seasons it works really well! I know every bird is different but it might be worth a go.

Atb Reuben
Hello mate, its a very good point which i will consider, & i was thinking of perhaps using a lighter line & go for more distance tomorrow which might be as good as a rest, cheers for the reply much appreciated.
Old 05-11-2013, 08:32 AM
Steve Skinner
Passage

5/11/13 light drizzle & low cloud temp 10c

weight 6lb-14 5/8oz at 7-00am fed 3 doc + 2 chick legs 3 1/8oz gutted & wet.

call offs on light 3mm line at 68yds.

1st took 10 sec came full distance landed on glove while eating dropped some food let him follow it down & jump up for tid bit reward 1/2 chick.

2nd 10 sec carbon copy of the 1st including tid bit reward 1/2 chick.

3rd took 10 sec came full distance nice landing on the glove reward 1/2 chick.

4th instant same as before reward 1/2 chick.

5th took 5 sec came full distance reward 1/2 chick.

6th came instantly the full distance reward 1/2 chick.

The way he was flying i could of kept flying him but he still needs more weight off, maybe a few more days on the heavy rope, before some work on the lure machine.
Old 05-11-2013, 11:59 PM
Steve Skinner
Passage

This evening i took Mr Bolt to see Mr Mark Collins who kindly offered to fit a trac pak to him.My job was to just hold him & keep every body safe, however he was a model candidate & mark & his friend lee set to work with the occasional instruction to raise or lower him or turn him this way or that way, Lee was the eyes of the team as mark had an old pair of his dads glasses on, the whole operation went very smoothly & didnt take very long, they also put a tail mount on his new deck feather which they confirmed hard penned. Thanks very much Mark & Lee.

A couple more photo's couldn't get them all on one post.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0511.jpg (93.8 KB, 406 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0514.jpg (94.2 KB, 406 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0515.jpg (91.9 KB, 405 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0517.jpg (92.6 KB, 404 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0518.jpg (93.7 KB, 401 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0519.jpg (93.8 KB, 402 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0521.jpg (85.2 KB, 398 views)
Old 06-11-2013, 09:27 AM
Steve Skinner
Passage

6/11/13 raining again low cloud temp 10c.

Weight 6lb-13 7/8oz at 6-45am fed 3 doc gutted (wet) + 2 chick legs 3 1/8oz, the trac pak weighed 3/8oz this has been deducted to arrive at todays weight.

Call offs at 40yds on 12mm rope.

1st instant came all the way to glove reward 1/2 chick.

2nd took 25 sec but had to lower glove, reward 1/2 chick.

3rd took 2 min 45 sec had to lower glove almost to the ground reward 1/2 chick.

4th waited 2 min then produced lure, instant response placed 1/2 chick on lure then jumped up for tid bit.

5th used lure from the beginning took a min reward 1/2 chick placed on lure then jumped up for tid bit.

6th took 1 min 20 sec until the lure was produced placed 1/2 chick on lure picked up with nothing.

Back pack still in place this morning but he had been giving it a good pull, after flying it was hardly visible, ill keep my fingers crossed on this one.

Last edited by RamishHawk; 06-11-2013 at 09:32 AM. Reason: Added weight of food
Old 07-11-2013, 10:03 AM
Steve Skinner
Passage

7/11/13 grey horrible day with low cloud no rain but a dampness to the air temp 11c.

weight 6lb-14 7/8oz at 6-50am but the jess's still wet through from yesterday.

fed 3 doc gutted (wet) + 1 chick head & leg 3 1/8oz.

call offs at 80yds on light line 3mm.

1st took 20 sec full length to fist reward 1/2 chick.

2nd as i was walking to my mark he threw his hood & came before i was ready i was about 53yds away when my wife gave a shout, i turned to just have enough time to load the glove 1/2 chick.

3rd instant full distance reward 1/2 chick.

4th 7 sec same as before reward 1/2 chick.

5th took 45 sec all the way again 1/2 chick reward.

6th took 30 sec full distance but only just made the glove 1/2 chick reward.

7th took 45 sec to lure (large falcon lure) landed 5yds short & ran the rest of the way still flapping his wings, placed chick head on lure with gloved hand then clean jump up to fist for a chick leg.

He was pulling on the trac pak yesterday so when i went to work my wife sprayed him every time he pulled it, when i got home he had preened it in so it couldn't be seen, it was ok this morning but after the training session he was having a good old tug at it, so while i held him sherry used a fine paint brush handle to re arrange his feathers followed by a fine spray with the mist bottle.
Old 08-11-2013, 09:33 AM
Steve Skinner
Passage

8/11/13 much nicer morning dryer air still cloudy temp 5c.

weight 6lb-14 1/8oz at 7-00am jesses still wet, fed 1 doc gutted (wet) +1 chick leg 1oz.

call offs at 40 yds on 12mm rope.

1st as he was unhooded bated for a rabbit at the edge of the field but only went 3yds before returning to start perch. Then it took 70 sec before coming but landed 6yds short and would not make the effort to come that distance, i wasn't playing his game and walked back to the start perch. He took 2 min before flying back for 1/2 chick reward. Counted that as 2 34yd flights.

2nd took 2 1/2 min until i produced the lure, came the whole way and eat 1/2 chick on lure and took his sweet time jumping up for a tid bit'

I decided to end it there seeing he was digging his heels in and not playing ball short commons for him today, were play a new game tomorrow. Trac pak still in place cant see it now fingers still crossed on this one.
Old 09-11-2013, 07:11 AM
Haggard

Hi Steve, very interesting thread keep it going,how is he now with his backpack.
Old 09-11-2013, 09:48 AM
Steve Skinner
Passage

Hello Mark, he still gives the ribbon the odd pull but its still in place i was going to use it to day but only had one mounting spring so settled for the tail mount instead, i did try the micro but the clip is to small, i just thought id keep things the same on his first free flight this season.
Old 09-11-2013, 10:32 AM
Steve Skinner
Passage

9/11/13 dry no wind but as i write this its now chucking it down, temp 1c with a light ground frost, what a change in 3hrs.

weight 6lb-13 1/8oz at 6-45am fed 3 doc gutted & wet 3oz. ( jesse's still wet ).

Free for first time this season flown to dummy bunny pulled by electric lure machine.

1st flight to lure garnished with one chick 30yds then mock battle before pick up with 1/2 chick, a little sticky with one foot but ok.

2nd lure garnished with 1/2 chick, flight of 60yds easier pick up after mock battle with 1/2 chick.

3rd no garnish on lure, flight of 60yds easy pick up after mock battle with half a chick.

Today i ran the lure line out 60yds around a metal peg & back toward the machine, so i could operate the foot control & slip the bird, note the lure has a thicker line attached in case it gets wrapped around a leg, hope fully a thicker line would cause less damage.

Just a few more pictures of this mornings training.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0528.jpg (99.6 KB, 350 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0529.jpg (99.4 KB, 350 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0530.jpg (92.4 KB, 349 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0531.jpg (89.0 KB, 346 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0535.jpg (84.5 KB, 347 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0532.jpg (96.0 KB, 346 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0534.jpg (98.0 KB, 347 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0536.jpg (98.2 KB, 341 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0537.jpg (95.0 KB, 348 views)