Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > BIRD OF PREY TALK > Shortwings - Accipiter

Old 31-10-2013, 11:18 PM
Steve Skinner
Passage

Default Re: Lola

This afternoon out with a friend on his patch of down land to bolt some rabbits, she had tipped the scales at 2lb-7 1/8 at 1-50pm, out in the field she was a little nervous of a stranger but settled after 20 minutes. On the walk there she chased a Cock Pheasant out of site & we located her in a copse i stomped around in the under growth but couldn't locate it, she got fed up & removed her self to a strip of trees at the foot of the downs were we where heading it was pheasant city & as i caught up with her she caught a hen pheasant that i flushed under foot which nearly cleared the canopy as the gos came 25yds away from quite high up.Taken up off the pheasant with one of the legs, which i let her take quite a lot of, probably to much i'm far to kind, then we had quite a walk up a rather steep slope with my ticker pounding and me thinking i'm to old for this game. The 1st bury ferreted was a bit of a rat hunt with rabbits just poping from hole to hole with short dashes by the Gos, we nearly put a second ferret in but the first one showed, so another smaller bury was tried higher up the hill, more huffing and puffing, but it was worth it for a cracking 75yd down hill flight with a cartwheel where she was going to fast, followed by a little wrestle before subduing it. The Hen pheasant weighed in at 2lb-3 1/4oz minus one leg & the rabbit a buck 3lb-9 3/8oz.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0498.jpg (102.3 KB, 331 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0500.jpg (98.8 KB, 331 views)
Old 04-11-2013, 08:29 PM
Steve Skinner
Passage

Today i thought i had better make an effort to fly her the last two days weather was a bit rough. I weighed her at 1-55pm and she tipped the scales at 2lb-8 1/4oz, it was a nice sunny afternoon and i had to enjoy my own company. the rain had flooded the drainage dykes and i thought there would be a good chance for a duck but that by product of duck hawking the humble moorhen spoilt my chances, i ended up with more wading with two welly boots full of water and had to cut her and her prize out of a really think bramble bush using secateurs. While she enjoyed plucking i wrung my socks out and poured the water out of my boots and then let her eat the head before the pick up all went well and i decided to continue as she wasn't to wet the breeze would dry her out. The next slip a couple of collar doves was soon aborted, but as she dried it was game on again with two very long flights on hen pheasants, enjoyable flights but no cigar. She followed one into a bit of no mans land its a triangular junction between three railway lines and a nightmare to get into, so i retrieved her with a well garnished lure and decided to end it there. This is her 7th day in the field & her 5th kill.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0501.jpg (101.6 KB, 294 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0504.jpg (101.9 KB, 296 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0503.jpg (97.8 KB, 294 views)
Old 05-11-2013, 07:46 PM
Passage

Brilliant... keep us updated!

What us her history ? pr etc? (if already mentioned really sorry!)

Si
Old 06-11-2013, 12:17 AM
Steve Skinner
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austringer84 View Post
Brilliant... keep us updated!

What us her history ? pr etc? (if already mentioned really sorry!)

Si
She's a 5yrs old parent reared ( both parents ) hatched in a seclusion pen, taken out for training at 9wks.
Old 06-11-2013, 12:38 AM
Steve Skinner
Passage

5/11/13 weighed 2lb-7 7/8oz at 1-05pm fed moorhen breast & legs skinned.

Flew her on the downs at bolted rabbits, we had 4 good flights with a few hole hopping dashes until she caught a moderately sized rabbit of 2lb-14 3/8oz. The best flight was of coarse the one that got away, there was a throw up of ten foot when the rabbit stopped dead in stinging nettles with a wing over & miss but she got up again & tail chased it up hill & only narrowly missed before it reached the safety of another bury.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0506.jpg (97.2 KB, 261 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0509.jpg (97.6 KB, 258 views)
Old 06-11-2013, 06:26 PM
Robin
Passage

Like the quarry range,versatile, that shot of the duck did she come down in the pond,excelent
Old 06-11-2013, 06:44 PM
Passage

I think it would be better if you dispatched the hen pheasant before taking photo's.
Old 06-11-2013, 07:23 PM
Steve Skinner
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitBullOne View Post
like the quarry range,versatile, that shot of the duck did she come down in the pond,excelent
Hi Robin she did come come down in the reeds i had to go round the pond & fight my way through the reed bed still got rather wet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_1135.jpg (99.1 KB, 235 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_1136.jpg (99.5 KB, 231 views)
Old 06-11-2013, 08:08 PM
Haggard

Nice thread Steve ,great pictures keep them coming.
Old 07-11-2013, 04:42 PM
Steve Skinner
Passage

7/11/13 1-45pm weighed 2lb-8 1/8oz.

This afternoon was dry and no wind for a change, thought we would try the ferrets again after yesterdays miss day. on the way to the bury's i could not resist a walked up rabbit but she missed and started following along a tree line while my wife & i worked the cover, are old Welsh springer spaniel is old & retired now she still wants to come but cant jump in the car any more years of swimming in cold dykes ponds have taken there toll on her, gos hawking with out a dog just doesn't feel right. However i digress getting back to the hunt a rabbit was flushed trying to slink back home & was nailed in stinging nettles from out of a tree, i decided on a double so enter the ferret Foxy Lady my wife names them all, we soon had action but the rabbit had other ideas & brushed Lola of using a small bush for cover all she had for her trouble was a foot full of fur, the next one tried the same tactic but she trussed it up just before the same bush.I decided or should i say Sherry decided to end on a good note two's plenty we can always come back another day, of cause she's right grrrrrr.... rabbits are a bit thin on the ground round here. The two rabbits one a buck weighed 3lb-14 1/4oz the other a doe 3lb-6 1/2oz nice sized downland rabbits, sorry folks no photo's to day my photographer forgot her camera.