Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > BIRD OF PREY TALK > Eagles - Aquila

Old 27-12-2013, 08:08 AM
David Gallagher
Brancher

Default Re: Zeus- a muddled diary in pics and words!

Brilliant thread dave
Old 27-12-2013, 08:11 AM
Midge
Passage

Hi dave hope you and the family are all well and you's had a wonderful Xmas,,,,on another note you have got yourself a fine eagle pal and looks as steady as. And seems you have done a great job like the rest of your hawks am hopeing 1 day il have an invite from you so I can see Zeus in the flesh pal nailing those hares would be great to catch up and have a day in the field atb dave hopefully il see you soon

Atb
Old 27-12-2013, 09:42 AM
Dave Sharpe
Passage

Thanks guys- the block is made by Phil Lott- very well put together I must say!

David- I suppose I have you to thank for Zeus- and my destroyed bank balance this year!!

Midge- I bet you had a great xmas with your girls?! magic eh?! I would love to meet up for some hawking, and see your birds fly, at this rate it could be next season tho!
Old 27-12-2013, 09:48 AM
David Gallagher
Brancher

[QUOTE=Sharpster;2062008]Thanks guys- the block is made by Phil Lott- very well put together I must say!

David- I suppose I have you to thank for Zeus- and my destroyed bank balance this year!!

Your welcome Dave
Old 27-12-2013, 11:04 AM
Dave Sharpe
Passage

a few recent training pics- you can really see natures aerodynamics on the first one-amazing.

Old 27-12-2013, 01:51 PM
Dave Sharpe
Passage

Did some work with Zeus into the strong winds this morning. The highlight was kneeling down holding zeus and the other hand pcking away his kit, when I heard 'cronk. cronk' behind me. I looked round to see a raven 25-30 yards away on the ground, he was cronking like mad and hopping about,coming closer each time. His mate was about 100yards away riding the updraft off the hedgerow. Ive never had a wild Raven come so close-I think he thought Zeus and I were on a kill or something and he was trying to see what! amazing.

Whilst I wouldn't dare fly Zeus on the soar in these parts- I do have the 2nd best bird for the job- I took Nigel out in the gales, just for fun this afternoon!
Old 27-12-2013, 05:43 PM
Egg

Hi dave interested to know what weight Zeus is now
Old 27-12-2013, 06:52 PM
Dave Sharpe
Passage

Yesterday he was 8lb 3oz. I've hunted him from 7lb 15oz to 8lb 7oz, but at about yesterdays weight seems right so far, for training it doesn't matter, if I know its just training for a few days then anything below 8lb 8oz, above that he can lose concentration a little bit, and if there is any sign of any silly behaviour at all it is 8lb 8 or above.
I have flown hares at 8lb 7oz and he's slipped several and worked hard for them another day he has followed a long way but then not commited at the end very well- think at that weight it depends whether he's going down or up!
On the lure or carcass, weight makes no difference to him, once I make in and start tidbiting him he chills out, wings folded.
Old 27-12-2013, 07:37 PM
Dave Sharpe
Passage

Zeuz doesn't look big to me now- despite my arm still aching a bit!( For the first two weeks I was carrying him as much for my muscle building as his manning!- stopping to rest my arm on a walking stick every few minutes!)-my other hawks just seem small now! But when I see a pic of him, he does look huge!

At last a pic I look good in!!

Being rather clever- Zeus bates at this point on our journey home- he seems to realize that fun/feeding is over when we get here, and he's going home!! Well I say clever-but goshawks too seem to soon realize such things....
Old 27-12-2013, 07:43 PM
Egg

Thanks for reply mine is very much the same weights for training don't seem to make much difference response wise or temperament now . Hunting weight at moment is 7.6lb .