Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > FALCONRY HUNTING & HAWKING DISCUSSIONS > General Falconry & Bird Talk

Old 09-04-2017, 06:01 PM
Egg

Default Kestrels in Libya

Hello

So far my only contribution has been an introduction. I thought I might post something before I disappeared for a month or so to study for my medical exams. Hopefully I'm going to try and really get started with falconry in the summer months - so far I've just been reading books mostly.

Anywho, a few weeks ago I rescued a couple of Eurasian Kestrels from the market. Kestrels aren't the greatest hunting birds but they are very common. Here there is a practice of using kestrels to capture better quality hunting raptors by eliciting a territorial response. Basically, they sew the kestrel's eyes shut and toss them in the general direction of the desired raptor. The kestrel will have a lure attached to its leg and the lure is covered in nooses. The larger raptor will try to steal the lure and the plan is for it to get caught in the nooses. The Kestrel's eyes are sewn shut so it can't evade the larger raptor.

Thankfully I bought both Kestrels before they'd been sewn up. I fed them and released both within a week or so of me buying them. I just thought I'd share this tidbit about the use (read: abuse) of Kestrels. Really strange how some people think.
Old 09-04-2017, 06:47 PM
Matthew
Passage

Default Re: Kestrels in Libya

Well done for rescuing them and releasing them.

All the best Matty
Old 09-04-2017, 07:35 PM
Egg

Default Re: Kestrels in Libya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty Bird View Post
Well done for rescuing them and releasing them.

All the best Matty
Thanks! Its my dad who probably deserves the praise since I basically just "convinced" him to buy them for me haha. He was happy to help though and he definitely approved of me releasing them.

God willing, both birds will have the sense to avoid BC traps going forward. If they live long healthy lives and breed a lot then it is more of an investment than anything.