Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > MEDICAL & HUSBANDRY > Coping, Health, Disease & Insurance

Old 03-08-2013, 03:27 PM
John Winder
Passage

Default Re: Little bit of leg help please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilJames View Post
Update - mentor came round once I finished work, he was also unsure if what it was. He advised me it could be dry skin or he could have be sat in poop ( the bird not my mentor). He said to get some warm water and give it a clean. We did this and nearly all of it flaked off. He wasn't sore underneath perfectly healthy looking legs. We then put some aqueous cream on and seems to have done the trick. He seems to be perfectly happy and fine now. I am keeping the appointment at the vets mainly for the general check.

Thanks for all the replies and advice.

Phil
The Mentor seems to have it right, save the vet visit for later IMO.
Old 03-08-2013, 11:08 PM
Amy Lawrance
Brancher

Is your bird on a shelf perch overnight? some birds like to lie down and the surface could be affecting his skin or it could be that he's pooing on his perch and then lying down.
Old 04-08-2013, 12:35 AM
Stewart Robertson
Haggard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imprint Falcon View Post
Is your bird on a shelf perch overnight? some birds like to lie down and the surface could be affecting his skin or it could be that he's pooing on his perch and then lying down.
Sakers are one of the cleanest birds. They tend not to mess the perch, in the six years my female has been on a shelf perch, there have never been any mutes on there. Don't think for a minute that is the cause. It is possible that fleas of some sort have caused the bird to preen excessively in those areas, and resulted in the temporary damage. Saker's plumage is very soft, and can be susceptible to infestation.

It seems to have been resolved. I would check just to make sure there are no mites etc.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:12 AM
Ian
Passage

This is very comon in older birds its just old skin which is hardened over fresh skin somtimes comes off its self eventually .often when catching birds from breeding pens i see this if its faily loose we just pick off [quite satisfying lol] and its nice and clean underneath atb ian
Old 04-08-2013, 01:04 PM
Brancher

Thanks again for all the replies. He is currently tethered, his perch is changed every other day and he is cleaned out everyday. There is no shelf perch but I do notice him Sat on the floor now and then. He is very clean he preens A lot mainly after his morning bath. His perch is immaculate I've never seen poop on them but still clean them with f10. His legs today still look fine. As I said I think it was more than likely just dry skin. I had never really seen this on any of the birds I have handled so I panicked, I tend to overly worry about my animals. My mentor did put my mind to rest and with his help and from others on here the problem seems to have gone. I am still taking him to the vets as he was due a check up. I will obviously mention his legs and see if the vet can shed some light, although there is nothing to see now. I will put up a pic in a minute so everyone can see the difference.

Thanks again everyone.

Phil
Old 04-08-2013, 01:26 PM
Brancher

Here is the same leg as before.

As you can see the yellowish " scab" has gone.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_3083.jpg (79.4 KB, 30 views)