Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > FALCONRY HUNTING & HAWKING DISCUSSIONS > General Falconry & Bird Talk

Old 28-04-2013, 03:17 PM
Brancher

Default Bit help

Hi need some help a got a pair of Harris hawks that breed ever year without a problem well for the last bloke all was well male maken a nest until a got rats and the nest was riped to bits she smashed her 1st then went on to have 4 more but all over the floor she showed no interest in sittin them so made the discussion to take them out put them in the incubator but only 1 out the 4 are full av got rid of the rat problem now and they settled again both birds maken the nest a think she could have her 1st egg Monday this is were a need some help a don't want a imprint Harris so by time she has her 2nd clutch me egg will be piping out would a be to put it in with them and if they don't kill it will she still sit the eggs ?? Are has anyone any other suggestions cheers
Old 28-04-2013, 07:23 PM
Dave
Haggard

Default Re: Bit help

I know nothing about breeding raptors, but I guess you could either find another foster mother, or hand rear the chick(s). Creche reared and imprinted Harris hawks can become very good and well mannered hunting partners, if reared by someone who knows what they are doing.

With the market in Harris hawks so saturated, I suppose just smashing the eggs might be considered. But I realise that is probably not a very palletable option. Atb.
Old 28-04-2013, 07:56 PM
Brancher

Cheers for your reply Dave a was thinkin Creche*rear them but there is only 1 egg full so that's why a thought if a put it back in will she bring it up and sit her 2nd clutch ;@ atb Simon
Old 28-04-2013, 08:02 PM
Haggard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simaughan View Post
Cheers for your reply Dave a was thinkin Creche*rear them but there is only 1 egg full so that's why a thought if a put it back in will she bring it up and sit her 2nd clutch ;@ atb Simon
Simon, how long has the egg been in the incubator?

Has she laid again yet?

ATB
Dean
Old 28-04-2013, 08:27 PM
Brancher

The egg that's full was her last and due out on the 8th of may but looks lyk she's goin to go back down any day now her 1st egg was 27th of march

Quote:
The egg that's full was her last and due out on the 8th of may but looks lyk she's goin to go back down any day now her 1st egg was 27th of march
Should she of been back down by now ?? Atb Simon
Old 28-04-2013, 08:39 PM
Kelvin
Brancher

Hi simon. lots of variables in this post of yours when it comes to breeding. Have a search on here for breeding advice. I would think that she will kill the first chick if shes sitting on eggs. but if you get away with it she will probably kill the second clutch.

I would go for creche rear the first and see what happens with the second lot.

Hope all goes well

Old 28-04-2013, 08:59 PM
Brancher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanguinius999 View Post
hi simon. lots of variables in this post of yours when it comes to breeding. Have a search on here for breeding advice. I would think that she will kill the first chick if shes sitting on eggs. but if you get away with it she will probably kill the second clutch.

I would go for creche rear the first and see what happens with the second lot.

hope all goes well

Haha tell is about it am sick ;( that's what am worried about mate and a can't creche*rear it cause only 1 and don't want an imprint Harris the noise will be to much cheers Simon
Old 28-04-2013, 09:23 PM
Dave
Haggard

Quote:
Haha tell is about it am sick ;( that's what am worried about mate and a can't creche*rear it cause only 1 and don't want an imprint Harris the noise will be to much cheers Simon
The noise will only start when the chick is reduced in weight. Exactly the same as a creche reared Harris. With enough hunting it will be quiet by christmas. Some falconers love imprint Harris's, myself included.
Old 28-04-2013, 09:30 PM
Haggard

With the obvious limited experience. Id put the viable egg under the pair. Forget the rest.

Dean
Old 29-04-2013, 01:47 PM
Alan Oliver
Haggard

For a start mate you might think you have rid of the rats whats happening at night? the bird has to feel it can rear a clutch safely, good quality food and safety are parramount in captive birds they cant fly off when danger approaches and rats are a danger believe me, second if the bird is laying on the floor the nest has to be looked at, the shape and size of the pan have to be right so she can sit and lay, the humidity in the nest has to be right otherwise she will struggle to deliver the egg and then goto the floor whare she can push harder, what are you using for a nest pan? how is it lined, i lost my late female due to being egg bound it was devistating for me as she was my first bird and my second best mate, if you don't get things right and leave these birds together i see the same outcome for you, in the past people have used tyres as nest pans, lined with peat and then some bits and bobs put plenty on the floor so the birds can carry nest material but the peat linning has to stay and be moist at all times to maintain humidity, a bath has to be available at all times and cleaned regularly, and most of all she especialy has to feel safe and comfortable at night.

P.s if youre getting night time visitors it's a waste of time putting the egg/eggs back under as they wont sit, they will only rear young in a safe enviroment, in the wild if a nest is discovered by a preditor they will simply leave it and make one else whare regardless of whats in it, so even if they did hatch the eggs then got visited in the night by rats they would abandon the young they arnt like us and have no feelings as such only self preservation and if sitting youngsters to keep them warm means risking life to rats then they simply wont do it.