Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > INTRODUCTIONS & FORUM GUIDANCE > Falconry Questions that all beginners ask!

Old 01-02-2014, 08:24 AM
Unconfirmed Member
Egg

Default A bit of a dilemma

I posted here yesterday in the new to the forum section, but this is my first real post. One of the main subjects which gets brought up on here is what quarry you have in the surrounding area, and this is my main problem. My family own about 20 acres, and I have noticed over the last few years the decline of rabbits mainly due to myxomatosis, it's killed off about 90% of the rabbit population. We still get a lot of crow,rooks,pheasant,gull,magpies etc but limited ground quarry.

So next I went to the local surrounding farms, some who are old family friend's. This also hasn't helped to be honest, our neighbour, a lady who does equestrian owns around 200 acres plus, said that she let's a local group of contractors go lamping, who take it very seriously and have been doing this for many years and she didn't want to upset them, but I could fly a bop there and take any feather quarry I like, which ain't to bad as there's marshes down the bottom end which have ducks and the odd snipe. It's also fairly open, with only a few hedges made up of about 7 fields.

The other land owner I tried, said I could hunt on his land long as I kept out the way. As his wife also has a equestrian yard, and doesn't want complaints from any of the horse owners saying that I'm spooking their horses. I have walked round a lot of his farm, and it seems more promising but I'll have to compete with his son's who are both keen at shooting and another lot who do ferreting around here. I'm going to try further a field I have another two farms I can try, one being a mixed farm with yet more horses! So my question, (sorry for the long post but I wanted to explain in full) is what would you recommend for beginner in falconry who is in my situation?
Old 01-02-2014, 08:33 AM
Ian
Passage

Default Re: A bit of a dilemma

Its very hard to answer without sounding flippent, I assure you I mean you well, but my answer is 'A Car'
Many don't live on or next door to their permission, you have to get out there and do the miles
Old 01-02-2014, 09:22 AM
Hamish
Passage

Default Re: A bit of a dilemma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdane View Post
I posted here yesterday in the new to the forum section, but this is my first real post. One of the main subjects which gets brought up on here is what quarry you have in the surrounding area, and this is my main problem. My family own about 20 acres, and I have noticed over the last few years the decline of rabbits mainly due to myxomatosis, it's killed off about 90% of the rabbit population. We still get a lot of crow,rooks,pheasant,gull,magpies etc but limited ground quarry.

So next I went to the local surrounding farms, some who are old family friend's. This also hasn't helped to be honest, our neighbour, a lady who does equestrian owns around 200 acres plus, said that she let's a local group of contractors go lamping, who take it very seriously and have been doing this for many years and she didn't want to upset them, but I could fly a bop there and take any feather quarry I like, which ain't to bad as there's marshes down the bottom end which have ducks and the odd snipe. It's also fairly open, with only a few hedges made up of about 7 fields.

The other land owner I tried, said I could hunt on his land long as I kept out the way. As his wife also has a equestrian yard, and doesn't want complaints from any of the horse owners saying that I'm spooking their horses. I have walked round a lot of his farm, and it seems more promising but I'll have to compete with his son's who are both keen at shooting and another lot who do ferreting around here. I'm going to try further a field I have another two farms I can try, one being a mixed farm with yet more horses! So my question, (sorry for the long post but I wanted to explain in full) is what would you recommend for beginner in falconry who is in my situation?
Have you got a bird yet? Lots of peeps struggle with acquiring enough good land. The only answer is get in a car, dress smart, take the bird (if you have one) and try more land owners. People with large farms with bits of woodland are a good bet.

As to rabbit numbers they have been declining for a while. VHD I think is having a much bigger impact around me rather than myxomatosis which seems to fluctuate giving the rabbits the opportunity to bounce back.

Hamish