Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > BIRD OF PREY TALK > Shortwings - Accipiter

Old 09-07-2015, 07:32 PM
Alex Ashton
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTail View Post
I don't think there is a road flat enough in the whole of Africa to car hawk at a speed you MIGHT catch those

Lol, obviously a lot are not an easy quarry but plenty of options out here 😉
My Female is far right in the picture 👌

Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-07-2015, 09:46 PM
Alex Ashton
Passage

I'm hoping she should be with me by the end of next week 👍

Alex

Old 13-07-2015, 11:40 AM
Nigel
Haggard

Default Re: 2015 Sparrowhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshyA View Post
More hood time again, kindly sent from the breeder. Been very help full & a great knowledge of Spars.

Alex

With a great knowledge of breeding he wants to put them in buckets and not plastic boxes ..Their young plumage will get smothered in ****...I used to do that in the old days until i started putting them in bucket nests ...they came out so much better !

This method is so much better .....just put cardboard up where they mute ...its basically just like a nest...the boxes in the previous photo get the birds smothered in their own mutes (yes i have had lots of experience using them after having bred spars for 30 years)....birds in plastic boxes huddle ...normally against the edges they have just shat into!
Old 13-07-2015, 07:46 PM
Alex Ashton
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusketMad View Post
With a great knowledge of breeding he wants to put them in buckets and not plastic boxes ..Their young plumage will get smothered in ****...I used to do that in the old days until i started putting them in bucket nests ...they came out so much better !

This method is so much better .....just put cardboard up where they mute ...its basically just like a nest...the boxes in the previous photo get the birds smothered in their own mutes (yes i have had lots of experience using them after having bred spars for 30 years)....birds in plastic boxes huddle ...normally against the edges they have just shat into!

Nig past that stage now. Although handy for future times cheers mate. I've not been those cities about acquiring a bird for a while now 😉

Alex

Old 14-07-2015, 08:24 AM
Nigel
Haggard

Not trying to teach anybody on here how to suck eggs its just that ive found this method of raising young acciptiers so good i had to share it..
Old 14-07-2015, 11:07 AM
Alex Ashton
Passage

Default 2015 Sparrowhawk

Quote:
Not trying to teach anybody on here how to suck eggs its just that ive found this method of raising young acciptiers so good i had to share it..

No I know mate & I do appreciate it. Always nice to know what some others do, well when the others are competent anyway!! I'm not sure if I've asked you this before Nig but what perch do you prefer to tether a Spar to mate?? She will be tethered outside for 24hrs a day, please note it only drops to around 12 degrees here, POSSIBLY single figures in the winter but very rare indeed. I am thinking on a 3ft, 1" wide rubber topped high rotating ring perch??

Alex

Old 14-07-2015, 12:34 PM
Nigel
Haggard

Quote:
No I know mate & I do appreciate it. Always nice to know what some others do, well when the others are competent anyway!! I'm not sure if I've asked you this before Nig but what perch do you prefer to tether a Spar to mate?? She will be tethered outside for 24hrs a day, please note it only drops to around 12 degrees here, POSSIBLY single figures in the winter but very rare indeed. I am thinking on a 3ft, 1" wide rubber topped high rotating ring perch??

Alex

Different people prefer different methods mate...I personally have a custom made bow perch where the ring always drops down flat ..Ive found over the years that ring perches tend to sometimes let the leash go over the top leaving the bird hanging and causing tail damage ...The same can happen with a bow perch depending on how easy the ring slips over or the pitch of it ...Best perch in the world for spars in my opinion is a swing perch ...been used for hundreds of years even before bow perches were invented ! When weathering my bird i would put it on a bow in the morning with a bath and then the afternoon on the swing ...I wouldnt advise leaving the bird t a young age on a swing perch overnight as it takes them a while to adjust ...
Old 15-07-2015, 11:48 AM
Alex Ashton
Passage

Quote:
Different people prefer different methods mate...I personally have a custom made bow perch where the ring always drops down flat ..Ive found over the years that ring perches tend to sometimes let the leash go over the top leaving the bird hanging and causing tail damage ...The same can happen with a bow perch depending on how easy the ring slips over or the pitch of it ...Best perch in the world for spars in my opinion is a swing perch ...been used for hundreds of years even before bow perches were invented ! When weathering my bird i would put it on a bow in the morning with a bath and then the afternoon on the swing ...I wouldnt advise leaving the bird t a young age on a swing perch overnight as it takes them a while to adjust ...

Yes I think I know the type you mean mate, it has a rod/bar that runs from the tethering ring to the bottom cross bar of the bow?? I did use a swing perch for my Fem Gos but was always super paranoid Nig. I do see your point in regards to the ring perch, again they work well with heavier birds that can actually make it rotate if the leash goes over the top. Obviously a Spar doesn't really have much weight behind her.

Alex

Old 15-07-2015, 02:57 PM
Nigel
Haggard

Quote:
Yes I think I know the type you mean mate, it has a rod/bar that runs from the tethering ring to the bottom cross bar of the bow?? I did use a swing perch for my Fem Gos but was always super paranoid Nig. I do see your point in regards to the ring perch, again they work well with heavier birds that can actually make it rotate if the leash goes over the top. Obviously a Spar doesn't really have much weight behind her.

Alex

Exactly mate
Old 15-07-2015, 03:13 PM
Alex Ashton
Passage

I do like these bow's with more of a long curve if that makes sense!! Haha. It looks as if the ring will fall easier. Ever tried one?? I don't really feed my hawks on the perch anyway mate, we know how a tail can be ruined if food is thrown in the middle of a bow & the ring allowed to rest at the highest point!! 😡. It's just the bath, I do try & leave the ring on the same side but you know Hawks can up & down & round & round lol!! Not comfy with leaving her on a swing unwatched Nig.