Falconry Forum (IFF)


Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > FALCONRY HUNTING & HAWKING DISCUSSIONS > Manning, Training & Fitness

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-10-2016, 01:48 PM
FalconerDillon's Avatar
FalconerDillon FalconerDillon is offline
Chick
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Escondido, California
Posts: 52
Default Arab manning methods

Hi all,

I've heard that the longwings in the middle east tend to be exceptionally tame. I've watched YouTube videos and have read what sparse literature there is on this subject, but I'm curious about specifics. For those of you more informed on the subject, what are the main differences between western taming techniques and those used in the middle east? My manning style is probably closest to that described by Ronald Stevens, aside from feeding through the hood. In what ways is the Arab method similar or different?

Cheers,

Dillon
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-10-2016, 02:06 PM
Trevarth's Avatar
Trevarth Trevarth is offline
Ian
Passage
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: cornwall
Posts: 1,872
Default Re: Arab manning methods

They are in contact with the falconer and others 24/7

I saw hawks who's handlers bed was in the mews.
__________________
ATB
Ian:-D
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-10-2016, 02:08 PM
Shikra King Shikra King is offline
Brancher
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: pk
Posts: 181
Default Re: Arab manning methods

In pakistan and arab bird is kept awake for 3 days and 3 nights on glove.that make bird tame very soon
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-10-2016, 02:27 PM
FalconerDillon's Avatar
FalconerDillon FalconerDillon is offline
Chick
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Escondido, California
Posts: 52
Default Re: Arab manning methods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikra King View Post
In pakistan and arab bird is kept awake for 3 days and 3 nights on glove.that make bird tame very soon
Do they do this with falcons as well? I've seen it with passage and haggard goshawks, but not longwings?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-10-2016, 02:53 PM
Shikra King Shikra King is offline
Brancher
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: pk
Posts: 181
Default Re: Arab manning methods

Yes they do that with both and with eagles too.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-10-2016, 03:30 PM
Panda32 Panda32 is offline
Brancher
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: essex/suffolk
Posts: 286
Default Re: Arab manning methods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikra King View Post
In pakistan and arab bird is kept awake for 3 days and 3 nights on glove.that make bird tame very soon
How does that work then? Do you take it in turns to sleep
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-10-2016, 05:49 PM
PaulUsHilarius PaulUsHilarius is offline
Paul MacDermot
Passage
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Wessex
Posts: 733
Default Re: Arab manning methods

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconerDillon View Post
Hi all,

I've heard that the longwings in the middle east tend to be exceptionally tame. I've watched YouTube videos and have read what sparse literature there is on this subject, but I'm curious about specifics. For those of you more informed on the subject, what are the main differences between western taming techniques and those used in the middle east? My manning style is probably closest to that described by Ronald Stevens, aside from feeding through the hood. In what ways is the Arab method similar or different?

Cheers,

Dillon

You will find the answer here:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...&condition=new

Get this book while you can. It is very informative and goes into great detail.

There is something the Arabs do called 'Tangese' which involves a number of falconers sitting on the ground with a falcon on a long leash. They each have a supply of tidbits which in turn they quietly half conceal about their person, in folds of clothes etc. The bird begins to hunt for these. Great tameness is the result.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-10-2016, 11:36 PM
Shaun Bannister Shaun Bannister is offline
Haggard
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: wales
Posts: 7,091
Default Re: Arab manning methods

And they have an endless supply of slaves ( sorry employees) to do all the donkey work
__________________
lie down with dogs you catch fleas
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-10-2016, 01:00 AM
TomOlivia TomOlivia is offline
Michael Calvin
Haggard
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Formerly from God's country
Posts: 6,508
Default Re: Arab manning methods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdalton49 View Post
Is no one prepared to mention the elephant in the room here ?? IMPRINTS oops I said it
....
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 14-10-2016, 08:30 PM
FalconerDillon's Avatar
FalconerDillon FalconerDillon is offline
Chick
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Escondido, California
Posts: 52
Default Re: Arab manning methods

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulUsHilarius View Post
You will find the answer here:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...&condition=new

Get this book while you can. It is very informative and goes into great detail.

There is something the Arabs do called 'Tangese' which involves a number of falconers sitting on the ground with a falcon on a long leash. They each have a supply of tidbits which in turn they quietly half conceal about their person, in folds of clothes etc. The bird begins to hunt for these. Great tameness is the result.
Paul,

Just wanted to say thank you for the book recommendation. It arrived today and I've been reading it while under the weather. Excellent info, and almost unknown of here in the states. IMO this book is up there with the best books on longwings available.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
arab, manning, methods

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.