Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > BIRD OF PREY TALK > Shortwings - Accipiter

Old 05-02-2018, 09:06 PM
Dave Cross
Passage

Default Re: Pure Finish male gos

Cats interested lol. Obviously the more time you put in with him for the first week or so will pay dividends. Try using a water mist spray bottle when he looks like he's going to bate if you haven't already.
Old 05-02-2018, 10:30 PM
Harold James II
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 3 View Post
Cats interested lol. Obviously the more time you put in with him for the first week or so will pay dividends. Try using a water mist spray bottle when he looks like he's going to bate if you haven't already.
Hi Dave
I have not used it as a way to keep him from bating but I did use it as away to give him water and he definitely disproved of it lol now that he is eating off the glove I think he will become more steady
Old 06-02-2018, 03:42 PM
Harold James II
Passage

Me and Dexter did 20 jumps today for tidbits his weight was 655g still fearful but food made him calm down fast today. Shortly after he decided he's comfortable enough to pick up a foot and relax. Been having out watching TV and playing candy crush for about 2 hours now
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180206_112204.jpg (82.7 KB, 99 views)
Old 09-02-2018, 04:24 PM
Harold James II
Passage

So Dexter is a work in progress. He is fearful of everything and any movement. Only time he is non fearful is when food is available. I've held him for hours and he will stand fine as long as I don't move.i can touch him when he's eating. At this point I believe I'm going to worry about the fear later. I'm going to take him outside and start making him work and see if this approach helps him.
Old 11-02-2018, 10:23 PM
Harold James II
Passage

Update on Dexter I have been keeping him in my inside mew when I go to sleep and bring him back out to my living room first thing when I get up. Today was the same thing I went in offered him a tidbit to come to my glove which usually leads to him eating it and opening his wings and protesting but today he only protested for a second and went back to looking at the glove for more food.
I put him on his block perch and proceed to walk around doing things when I noticed he was bating but unlike his normal self if bating away today he was actually bating towards me.
I've been trying the Manning process and trying to be his friend for over a week so I decided enough is enough as he isn't showing improvement and decided it's time to start asking him to come to me and work for food. I'm only going to handle him and weigh him rt before it's times to go earn his keep.
It got to be around the time I'm going to be flying him I walked up to him offered him tidbit he jumped to glove I untied him walked him to the scales which. He takes time to get him to stand on long enough to get a correct weight but managed to get it he was 640g twenty grams lower than he's been.
I took him outside and put him on the perch and walked back about 8ft and offered him a tidbit he actually came quickly. Then his true colors showed every other time he would attempt to bug out but I'm ok with this as I'm certain with weight reduction I sounds be able to correct this
Old 13-02-2018, 09:23 PM
Harold James II
Passage

Starting to make progress with Dexter his weight is down to 630g and is finally acting some what normal. He came to the glove 20ft today. Still not a 100 percent as he still rather try to snatch and grab and take off a couple times but he didn't hang up side down and bate as I touched him.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180213_171700(1).jpg (81.1 KB, 28 views)