Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > BIRD OF PREY TALK > Eagles - Aquila

Old 22-12-2013, 07:21 PM
Reuben
Passage

Default Re: Mr Bolts diary

Glad to see your still hard at it! I hunt mainly by myself and I will cover the hare/quarry with my hawking bag when I trade off so when Elsa's finished her reward there is no sign of the quarry. Today's hare was dealt with the same there not daft she will look to the bag but as long as it's covered there's no problem.

Keep it up.

Atb Reuben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramishhawk View Post
22/12/13 morning temp 7c rain did stop late afternoon.

Weight 6lb-12 1/8oz at 2-10pm fed 6 gutted day old chicks 5 7/8oz.

When the rain stopped decided to give it a go the wind was still very strong, we spent 1 1/2hrs looking for hares and didnt see any sign of life, the light was failing and storm clouds gathering again so we finished up with 6 flights to a dragged lure, all uphill and started with the lure 300yds away, the real flight is making up the ground, but as the bird catches up the lure puller, (my good lady) tries to whip it out of his way, some times this works with the bird having to turn before binding to the lure and is better than the lure just pulled in a straight line at a trot. Of coarse all lure flights end in a mock battle and he is then picked up with one chick, they all went well apart from the last one with him plucking the lure, he doesn't often do this, but the light was rapidly disappearing, i knelt on the lure in the end and every time he pulled at the pick up, i raised the glove preventing him from eating untill he finally clamped both feet on the glove. This is where an assistant is very helpful to hide the lure immediately after the pick up.
Old 23-12-2013, 09:01 AM
Steve Skinner
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reubs View Post
Glad to see your still hard at it! I hunt mainly by myself and I will cover the hare/quarry with my hawking bag when I trade off so when Elsa's finished her reward there is no sign of the quarry. Today's hare was dealt with the same there not daft she will look to the bag but as long as it's covered there's no problem.

Keep it up.

Atb Reuben
Hi Reubs congratulations on the hare i hope you have plenty to fly at i am struggling this season to find them, i often fly him on my own but its a lot easier with a little help wouldn't you agree. Last year when i was on my own, after the pick up with some thing of a reasonable size not to big but not to small i just walked away from the hare while he ate with my back to it, then popped the hood on before returning to put the hare in the bag, iv got to say this part of his training has always been a dream and only mentioned it because it doesn't often happen, i thought it had more to do with the failing light. It might be worth mentioning that i used the techniques described in Martin Hollinshead book Hawking with golden eagles when i first trained him, what kind of pick ups do you use Reabs, type of food size etc its always nice to have more information there's not much info out there, and its nice to have more options, just in case problems arise.

Atb Steve.
Old 23-12-2013, 08:24 PM
Reuben
Passage

I must admit even if someone is with me I still do things the same way she knows the routine so I stick to it.

I trade her off with a whole chick or a piece of beef whatever's in the bag if it's a pheasant I will generally trade her for the Pheasant head it works quite well but if she's caught 2 hares I will sometimes use a hare leg as I would call it a day then. I did do it the same way as you to start with but she would sometimes bait back towards the hare so personally I find by covering it it takes that temptation away.

The hare numbers down my way haven't been quite as good I find they are sitting in cover or so close to cover it's hard to always get them out in the open. Although they are beginning to move out a bit more now. We have a lot of broad leaf crops around and it's so difficult to get them up in that!

Atb Reuben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramishhawk View Post
Hi Reubs congratulations on the hare i hope you have plenty to fly at i am struggling this season to find them, i often fly him on my own but its a lot easier with a little help wouldn't you agree. Last year when i was on my own, after the pick up with some thing of a reasonable size not to big but not to small i just walked away from the hare while he ate with my back to it, then popped the hood on before returning to put the hare in the bag, iv got to say this part of his training has always been a dream and only mentioned it because it doesn't often happen, i thought it had more to do with the failing light. It might be worth mentioning that i used the techniques described in Martin Hollinshead book Hawking with golden eagles when i first trained him, what kind of pick ups do you use Reabs, type of food size etc its always nice to have more information there's not much info out there, and its nice to have more options, just in case problems arise.

Atb Steve.
Old 24-12-2013, 02:04 PM
Steve Skinner
Passage

23/12/13 morning temp 10c, very stormy gale force wind and rain.

Weight 6lb-12oz at 2-00pm fed 6 gutted day olds in front garden, no flying.
Old 24-12-2013, 02:25 PM
Steve Skinner
Passage

24/12/13 morning temp 9c, still very windy with occasional showers.

Weight 6lb-12oz at 11-10am fed 6 gutted doc 6oz and 4oz of rabbit back with bone.

Seven flights to the dragged lure varying distance's of 50 to 200 yards all up hill and into a strong wind, he cheated on two of the longer flights got 3/4 of the way and took the easier option of flying back to me for his reward. I rewarded him with the rabbit back on his best effort.
Old 25-12-2013, 04:16 PM
Steve Skinner
Passage

25/12/13 morning temp 5c.

Weight 6lb-12 1/4oz at 1-35pm fed a gutted rat 6 3/4oz on the front lawn.

No flying on Christmas day.
Old 26-12-2013, 12:09 PM
Brancher

Well i`m disapointed with you steve thought you were hardcore. i took mrs bert out yesterday and today managed a cigar a king edward at that speak to soon atb terry
Old 27-12-2013, 08:25 AM
Steve Skinner
Passage

26/12/13 morning temp 0c.

Weight 6lb-13 1/4oz at 10-50am fed 5 1/4oz of rat.

Out of three hares seen today only one was flown although a close slip it ran up a steep hill and soon out distanced him, finished on two uphill flights to the swung falcon lure,
Old 27-12-2013, 01:47 PM
Steve Skinner
Passage

27/12/13 morning temp 10c.

Weight 6lb-13 3/8oz at 11-30pm fed a quail 6 5/8oz next to his perch in the front garden, it was a good decision not fly as it chucked it down an hour later.
Old 28-12-2013, 05:19 PM
Steve Skinner
Passage

28/12/13 morning temp 5c.

Weight 6lb-14 1/4oz at 11-00am fed 5 1/2oz of skinned and gutted quail.

This morning we arrived at the farm at 11-30am, and all we could here were shot guns on the surrounding shoots, but this played into our hands as the hares had flocked in lol. The first flight was a 50yd slip and not to Bolts advantage, the hare headed slightly up slope of us and towards a hedge, he tried to head it off but the hare beat him to the hedge and turned right and up the hill, the bird followed and we lost site of the flight and 1/2min later Bolt came over the hedge at the top of the hill and back for a quail leg. It was the second flight that made me think he was all business to day, a close 15yd up slope slip but he soon caught up with it, the hare turned as he closed across the slope, but as he made his move he missed and hit the ground another close run flight. By far the best flight of the day the third and another up hill flight of over 200yd starting on winter wheat and then across stubble taking in two fence's that Bolt cleared to try a wing over just the other side of the second fence to bite dirt again. However the fourth and final flight of the day ended with his second hare this year, so all the uphill work had finally paid off, it was a short flight of approx 38yds and a very close 10 foot up hill slip, we were on the edge of the field and the hare headed for a 6 foot high bank topped by a barb wire fence, after the hood was removed i literately through him into the air as high as i could, and a split second after the hare had passed under the fence the bird just cleared it and they both went out of site, i was just about to place a quail leg in my glove for his return flight, when my wife shouted to me she could hear the hare screaming so i started running for the bank with a mad scramble up it and over the fence to be greeted by Mr Bolt on his hare.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0753.jpg (100.8 KB, 252 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0754.jpg (100.2 KB, 253 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0755.jpg (100.4 KB, 254 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0756.jpg (100.3 KB, 256 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0757.jpg (99.6 KB, 251 views)