Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > BIRD OF PREY TALK > Eagles - Aquila

Old 04-11-2015, 11:34 AM
Steve Skinner
Passage

Default Re: Mr Bolts diary

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkNorth View Post
Thanks that's the answer I was looking I guess left much later he would possibly get restless and bate effecting his wing tips
Hi Stephen, he not a restless bird, in the mews or garden were he usually weathers, at the moment the morning cycle suits me, its much cooler then with this unusually warm weather we are getting down here in southern England. this way it free's the rest of the day up to fly other birds.
Old 04-11-2015, 07:26 PM
Steve Skinner
Passage

30/10/15
Weight 6lb-13 3/8oz at 8-10am fed 5 chicks, 4 whole, 1 gutted minus head & neck 6 3/8oz, fed on the front lawn, raining quite hard.

31/10/15
Weight 6lb-13 5/8oz at 8-10am fed 6 gutted & de headed chicks 5 3/8oz.
Today, nothing at all to fly at, so after 2 1/2 hours, decided to end on a few uphill flights, to the swung lure, with returns to the glove.

1/11/15
Weight 6lb-13 5/8oz at 7-10am fed 7 very small gutted & headless chicks 5 5/8oz. Very foggy, but just about hawk able, out for three hours, and only one flight at a hare, a very close slip, about six foot to my left as I walked across sloping stubble. After botching taking the hood off, he chased hard with very swishy wings, the hare curved around, and uphill, and they disappeared in the fog, shortly after he came sailing back to the glove, time to go home me thinks.

2/11/15
Weight 6lb-13 5/8oz at 6-50am fed 5 1/2oz of gutted chick (4) with 6 chick heads. A very long morning, that started with fine weather, ending in very foggy conditions, visibility very low, and hares found at its worse, first slip was close about twenty foot, the hare ran across the hill, but Bolt checked on another, that got up to his right and went uphill, he never stood a chance. Another was located much later on stubble, with hare and eagle disappearing in thick fog, had to use the tracker to locate him, which was a hell of away from where I slipped him, where ever that was, he came out of a tree to the beep beep, tricky dealing with that one, bird on glove, tracker in right hand, knee's come in usefull lol. So there I was with a wet through bird and a wet through me, totally lost in thick fog, got back to the car at 12 noon.

3/11/15
Weight 6lb-12 3/4oz at 8-30am fed 6 1/8oz of rabbit on the front lawn.

4/11/15
Weight 6lb-12 3/4oz at 7-25am fed 4 1/8oz of gutted chick (4).
First slip at a pheasant, he crashed the small bush, and as it came out, he very nearly caught it with a pounce. There was a light drizzle so I climbed the hill to give him a chance, second slip at a rabbit sitting near its bury, he went hard at it, closing with it as it neared sanctuary, both feet down the hole and wings spread, but no another miss. Leaving him there I climbed higher, he scanned below and then launched out from the hillside, climbing over the wooded strip below, then he folded his wings stooping through the trees to catch a rabbit, which was still screaming as I arrived. It looked a tricky situation he had the rabbit in foot along with a strand of wire amidst the cover, and as I tried to grab the rabbits foot with the gauntlet, he transferred his grip to it, and off shot the rabbit. Ah well you win some and lose some, still a good flight.
Old 05-11-2015, 07:32 PM
Dave Sharpe
Passage

weight 8lb 7oz

the plan was to do some more fine tuning on the ruddy lure machine and if successful to give zeus a few chases with it!

well it was peeing it down and fannying about with the machine in the rain didn't appeal to me, so we went hunting instead! I got soaked as did zeus.

first field, a hare running to the far corner, zeus flew well al the way in a cross wind. the hare didn't break from the hedge and zeus returned into the wind. Sadly he first landed in a very muddy wheat field. His primaries and tail were wet now! nothing until the last field, a big hare got up 10 paces in front, but 20 paces from the hedge! Zeus was off, very noisey wet wings and this hare too didn't run through the hedge!

We finished with a few flights from glove to his mat and back again!
Old 05-11-2015, 07:56 PM
Dave Sharpe
Passage

Made myself laugh!! that was meant to go on my diary Steve!!
Old 06-11-2015, 08:46 AM
Steve Skinner
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpster View Post
made myself laugh!! that was meant to go on my diary Steve!!
Having a senior moment Dave, made me laugh to.
Old 07-11-2015, 01:08 PM
Steve Skinner
Passage

5/11/15
Weight 6lb-13 1/2oz wet jesse's, at 7-30am, fed 6 gutted & headless chicks 4 7/8oz. Flew on the land surrounding the tip, slipped him on several deer but after the initial bolt out of the hood, pardon the pun, he just turned and came back, had to remove the hard hat before he returned to the glove, but the high viz vest did not bother him.

6/11/15
Weight 6lb-13 3/8oz wet jesse's, at 8-15am fed 4 whole chicks 5 1/4oz on the front lawn, hammering down with rain.

7/11/15
Weight 6lb-13 1/2oz wet jesse's, at 7-55am, fed 5 1/4oz of gutted headless chick (6). Conditions were not good with strong wind, but it wasn't raining. One hare was found on winter wheat, which got up in a tractor track, about 100 yards down hill. He did not sight it at first, flying down wind in the general direction, the hare left the track, Bolt altered direction and closed fast hitting and spinning it around before stopping dead, with the hare trotting off up hill. Surprisingly Bolt got back up and circled after it, using the wind to his advantage, there was a stoop near a hedgerow, but to far to see. Retrieved with the swung lure, after he spent 10 minutes soaring in the wind. So we were out for two hours, got soaked to the skin before returning to the car, was it worth the effort? hell yes, just seeing a hare makes me smile.
Old 15-11-2015, 12:49 PM
Steve Skinner
Passage

8/11/15
Weight 6lb-13 1/4oz at 8-30am (wet jesse's) fed 3oz of gutted chick and an unknown amount of muntjac meat off head and pelt. Two slips at roe deer, first approx 20 yards away on a shrubby covered bank below us, he grabbed the rear end and got bucked off. Second slip was so close about 10 yards away about 10 minutes later and further along the same bank, he went hard at it, I also started running, and was so close to the action but the deer turned as he went in and left him on the ground. Finished with a dragged deer pelt.

9/11/15
Weight 6lb-13 3/8oz at 8-00am (wet jesse's) fed 4 3/4oz of chick. It was very windy, so I headed for the hill slope with updraught, slip on a rabbit ended with a miss, followed by 15 minutes of him enjoying the wind, he only went up approx 200 ft, but marvellous to watch him stooping into cover at rabbits and just opening his wings to go back up, then he came back over me folded his wings to drop down to the glove held above my head.

10/11/15
Weight 6lb-12oz at 7-40am fed a small prime quail (pick up) 5 1/8oz and 3 gutted headless chicks 2 1/4oz in all 7 5/8oz. Wind still strong, parked upwind of the farm, walked alone zig zagging down wind. As I got to the top of the wheat field a hare was spotted mooching in the next field below, but hunkered down in the long grass, it disappeared momentarily, then it started moving, Bolt off in a flash, the hare just sat when the bird approached and simply side stepped him and trotted off up hill into wind, Bolt followed and then gave up, flying down wind, ringing and gaining height, flying over a strip of trees, I followed and found him on a cock pheasant.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7086.jpg (101.6 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7092.jpg (94.2 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7093.jpg (91.7 KB, 67 views)
Old 15-11-2015, 01:33 PM
Steve Skinner
Passage

11/11/15
Weight 6lb-12 3/4oz at 7-40am fed 6oz of gutted chick ( still lightly sprayed with the mist bottle ). Only one slip today, approached the scrubby bank from the opposite end, it was a very close affair, three deer broke out of a small stand of trees and bushes, one went down hill, leaving two running across the slope, Bolt took the rear one down, there was a brief struggle as I ran to get there, but it broke away.

12/11/15
Weight 6lb-12 3/8oz at 9-00am fed four whole chicks 5 1/2oz on the front lawn.

13/11/15
Weight 6lb-12oz at 8-30am fed 6 1/4oz of gutted chick, later start, very windy, a couple of slips at rabbit which ended in out and back flights, a slip on a cock pheasant which he missed, followed by a ten minute soaring session on the hill. he came back to the upraised glove, then it rained, so mad dash back to the car, out for 1hr 10min.

14/11/15
Weight 6lb-12 3/8oz at 8-30am fed 5oz of gutted headless chicks. headed out in very light rain in a stiff breeze, spent 1hr 40min traversing a 100 acre winter wheat field, then on to the lay grass field, not a thing seen apart from gulls. finished with three 250 yard uphill fights to the swung lure with returns to the glove, a good work out with wet feathers no cheating (gliding).

15/11/15
Weight 6lb-12 3/8oz at 10-30am fed 5 1/4oz of chick, 2 whole, 1 gutted, 1 deyoked minus gizzard, fed on front lawn. Sherry's birthday, she just commented nice to be calm for a change.
Old 15-11-2015, 02:38 PM
Robin
Passage

Hows it going,severe lack of hares,mymale is great this season,female on9 deer,manners atttrocious,took one at 10,4 the other day,hopefully some hare meets coming up,good luck ,hows he going
Old 15-11-2015, 04:02 PM
Steve Skinner
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitBullOne View Post
hows it going,severe lack of hares,mymale is great this season,female on9 deer,manners atttrocious,took one at 10,4 the other day,hopefully some hare meets coming up,good luck ,hows he going
Hi Rob, I can see your freezer must be full, enjoyed the Vidio's tom did, lack of hare's down here is forcing me to fly rabbit & pheasant, i'd rather not, he will fly larger quarry, but prefers it if obscured by cover or running scared, possibly a weight issue or just to early in the day, he has had hold of a couple of deer and one fox but not for long, so his bag stands at 1 hare, 2 rabbits, 3 pheasants. good hunting mate.