Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > BIRD OF PREY TALK > Eagles - Aquila

Old 27-01-2016, 09:13 AM
Steve Skinner
Passage

Default Re: Mr Bolts diary

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyMc View Post
Sorry to hear steve.you done great job with him.
Good read of a fantastic eagle.closest i come to them is the diarys on here.

Chin up.you done a good job of him and sadly it happens
It was the road that killed him Davey, it could of been a power line or transformer, hence my original post, perhaps my selfish ambitions were also to blame, I have had 17 years of trouble free flying on this particular farm, this last year, Iv lost one bird to a buzzard & two to the road, Another farm I fly on gave me 12 years of trouble free flying until two falcons I was tame hacking had an argument with a train, One lost his life the other broke a leg and made a full recovery. He is in a pen, in my back garden now, the new tercel is flying over the hedgerows at this farm, so hopefully Murphy will grant me another 12 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke36 View Post
im sorry to hear this as I have been following thish thread a real shame such a lovely bird
Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by London Rob View Post
So sad to hear Steve.

ATB Rob
Hi Rob, not down & out yet, are you still catching racoons, love to read more about your falconry.

ATB Steve.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 11990629_10153201805759212_8806675399897204049_n.jpg (50.1 KB, 200 views)
File Type: jpg 856_237896403031625_531102774_n.jpg (21.1 KB, 203 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6685.jpg (90.7 KB, 200 views)
Old 27-01-2016, 09:56 AM
Banned
Passage

Such a shame mate
Old 28-01-2016, 09:53 PM
Alex
Brancher

I don't know you or didn't even get close to getting myself involved in what was the dream ....but I've read your thread from the start and loved it when my phone pinged with an email of a updates of Sir Bolts escapades. This has moved me to tears ( yep I'm soft ) so sorry for your loss

Thank you for the thread
Regards
Alex
Old 29-01-2016, 03:46 AM
Paul Harter
Egg

Absolutely gutted for you. You know you did him proud and made him feel like an eagle should, he was an absolute credit to you.
It's is still a dream of mine and over the next couple of years I'll probably take the plunge and I'll still use this thread as reference so many thanks.
Loosing an animal that you've spent so much time with is always hard, but knowing you did the best for it whilst it was alive always help heal the wound but some how never the scars.
Chin up.
Paul
Old 29-01-2016, 11:09 AM
Steve Skinner
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyMc View Post
Such a shame mate
It sure is, but onward & upwards as they say.

ATB Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Life Fly It View Post
I don't know you or didn't even get close to getting myself involved in what was the dream ....but I've read your thread from the start and loved it when my phone pinged with an email of a updates of Sir Bolts escapades. This has moved me to tears ( yep I'm soft ) so sorry for your loss

Thank you for the thread
Regards
Alex
Thanks Alex.
Old 29-01-2016, 11:33 AM
Steve Skinner
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorel-2007 View Post
Absolutely gutted for you. You know you did him proud and made him feel like an eagle should, he was an absolute credit to you.
It's is still a dream of mine and over the next couple of years I'll probably take the plunge and I'll still use this thread as reference so many thanks.
Loosing an animal that you've spent so much time with is always hard, but knowing you did the best for it whilst it was alive always help heal the wound but some how never the scars.
Chin up.
Paul
Cheers Paul, good luck when you take the plunge, this is why I started the diary in the first place, wish there had been one on here when I started him, but I forget, never had a PC then or even new how to work one, I did bend quite a few peoples ear, and read as much as I could get my hands on, I started him off using Joe Atkinson's methods for passage birds, found this in David Fox's new book, eagle falconry, and some of the best info gleaned from Martin Hollinshead books, in particular hawking with golden eagles, best chapter was how to deal with picking up off lures, carcasses & quarry. In German eagle, Fritz Loges used a falcon lure for retrieval, this worked well for me.
Old 30-01-2016, 12:55 PM
Chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamishHawk View Post
It was the road that killed him Davey, it could of been a power line or transformer, hence my original post, perhaps my selfish ambitions were also to blame, I have had 17 years of trouble free flying on this particular farm, this last year, Iv lost one bird to a buzzard & two to the road, Another farm I fly on gave me 12 years of trouble free flying until two falcons I was tame hacking had an argument with a train, One lost his life the other broke a leg and made a full recovery. He is in a pen, in my back garden now, the new tercel is flying over the hedgerows at this farm, so hopefully Murphy will grant me another 12 years.

Thank you.

Hi Rob, not down & out yet, are you still catching racoons, love to read more about your falconry.

ATB Steve.
Steve, Your first post was right on the money. That said, I have learned more from flying Winston than I thought i had left to learn before I got him. He is not easy but we don't do this for easy.

He took another racoon on the weekend, ruined a perfect slip on a hare and they have been very hard to come by this year. We were up wind of the hare and it was behind a small bump in the field. as we moved in, it broke down wind and down hill. Winston went roaring off after it and was closing fast as the hare cleared a small ditch in the middle of the field. He folded and slammed into the ditch as we watched the hare stroll up and over the next rise. All I could see was his wing tips as he was getting thrashed about so the running begins. He had control when I got there but was not happy. It was a big male and they had been bouncing around off the frozen sides. Getting them out of the narrow spot they ended up in was a little akward.
It has not been cold enough this winter to keep the racoons in their holes and they have ended a few hunts early. He trades well but gets a rough ride and was obviously sore the next day so we take a few off to recover.

A sore, grumpy eagle is not something to face before your first coffee...

I am late with this, but Thank You for your help and advice

Good luck with the falcon

Rob
Old 31-01-2016, 11:36 AM
Steve Skinner
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by London Rob View Post
Steve, Your first post was right on the money. That said, I have learned more from flying Winston than I thought i had left to learn before I got him. He is not easy but we don't do this for easy.

He took another racoon on the weekend, ruined a perfect slip on a hare and they have been very hard to come by this year. We were up wind of the hare and it was behind a small bump in the field. as we moved in, it broke down wind and down hill. Winston went roaring off after it and was closing fast as the hare cleared a small ditch in the middle of the field. He folded and slammed into the ditch as we watched the hare stroll up and over the next rise. All I could see was his wing tips as he was getting thrashed about so the running begins. He had control when I got there but was not happy. It was a big male and they had been bouncing around off the frozen sides. Getting them out of the narrow spot they ended up in was a little akward.
It has not been cold enough this winter to keep the racoons in their holes and they have ended a few hunts early. He trades well but gets a rough ride and was obviously sore the next day so we take a few off to recover.

A sore, grumpy eagle is not something to face before your first coffee...

I am late with this, but Thank You for your help and advice

Good luck with the falcon

Rob
Cheers Rob, enjoyed the write up, how heavy was the racoon? do they spray like foxes when caught, I would like to see some pictures, if you have some. I am flying two at the moment, the female peregrine still hasn't scored yet, she does not go up very high, at least not over me, so I am flushing when highish and wide (upwind) enjoyed some flights on partridge, but she's not to keen on pheasant, just follows them, even though a few dead ones have been chucked out, and allowing her to feed on them, one good flight on ducks that beat her to the river. But the real surprise has been incidental flights on hare, three now, the latest one she chased out of sight with multiple stoops, but just seems to buzz them thank heavens. The tiercel was going great guns 6 head, 4 various, hen pheasant, magpie, untill he stooped at a wood pigeon taking feathers out, tail chased it but returned, yesterday I put him up over a small pond along side a rape field, instead of mounting, he tore across the field into a flock of woody's, although he came back over, it was not for long, he beelined for some conifer trees to stoop at coller doves, and yes while this was going on the ducks went out the back door, a nice couple of widgeon, when he finally came back high, the cupboard was bare, hope he's not another check monster lol.

Regards steve.
Old 31-01-2016, 08:40 PM
Robin
Passage

Not on here often,just heard,so sorry m8,
Old 01-02-2016, 09:34 AM
Steve Skinner
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitBullOne View Post