Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > BIRD OF PREY TALK > Longwings - Falco > Pursuit Hawking

Old 06-09-2011, 09:20 AM
Haggard

Default Re: Prairie falcons

I wrote an article about prairies in the international falconer if your interested in them,2003 issue 18,mark.
Old 06-09-2011, 09:31 AM
Philip
Passage

Default Re: Prairie falcons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Collins View Post
I wrote an article about prairies in the international falconer if your interested in them,2003 issue 18,mark.
and l will add nicely written article mark!!! l have a soft spot for praires as col says very underrated. once you get passed the loopy stage !, no fear of cover and will bail in. nice pics. atb phil
Old 06-09-2011, 10:43 AM
Andy
Haggard

Default Re: Prairie Falcons

First prarie i got took me 2 week to get to even jump to the fist. manners were terrible baiting from block at pick up,bailed off the fist at most things,and basically hung upside down most of the time even when hooded. when i finaly got him free he waited on for as long as i wanted he was a lot better in the air than on the fist.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wedding pictures 110 [] [].jpg (74.8 KB, 469 views)
File Type: jpg wedding pictures 113 [].jpg (48.7 KB, 468 views)
Old 06-09-2011, 10:58 AM
Bill
Passage

Andy: Your experience is a little over the top for the species but they certainly aren't a Peregrine.

They are very difficult to find in Canada and with talking to an American breeder they are hard to sell. The hybrids seem to have displaced them because many don't understand them. Put them in the air and they are amazing, gutsy and are very strong on ducks. The males would be great on partridge. Female imprints are real charmers.

Eric: They are much easier to breed than Peregrines. You are at a tiny disadvantage with the male being younger but that soon won't matter.

An imprint female was the first large falcon I flew and I'm trying hard to get another. They are also excellent parents or foster.

Bill
Old 06-09-2011, 11:44 AM
Andy
Haggard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Himiko View Post
Andy: Your experience is a little over the top for the species but they certainly aren't a Peregrine.

They are very difficult to find in Canada and with talking to an American breeder they are hard to sell. The hybrids seem to have displaced them because many don't understand them. Put them in the air and they are amazing, gutsy and are very strong on ducks. The males would be great on partridge. Female imprints are real charmers.

Eric: They are much easier to breed than Peregrines. You are at a tiny disadvantage with the male being younger but that soon won't matter.

An imprint female was the first large falcon I flew and I'm trying hard to get another. They are also excellent parents or foster.

Bill
this was the worst of them all.since then ive bred from him and flown the youngsters and they was a bit better but still very similar. the male in the pictures was 5\6 when i got him so dont know whats happend to him in the past. does anyone know if they is a difference between the sexes with temperaments?
Old 06-09-2011, 02:14 PM
Bill
Passage

Andy: Do a search as I think there was a thread a year or so ago and quite a bit of input from some Americans. Or check NAFEX. There are passage birds taken every year as some love the species. Your experience may have had some genetic substance to it.

Bill
Old 06-09-2011, 02:33 PM
Dan Fenske
Brancher

The prairie falcon was my first large falcon. Taken from a wild eyrie in 1962 at about 21 days of age and raised in the manner I was shown by the man who taught me falconry, Bob McCallum. Bob a well experienced falconer by then and among the very finest I saw back then. This eyas female was brought along like so many and remained tame as she grew. Fitted with a " Spring " opening anglo indian hood using the Slijper formula, she was easy to hood and no problems ever with hooding. She was a good falcon in the hands of a beginner. Yet with Bob's guidance, she trained well and flew well. No real problems that I remember. This first experience with the prairie falcon left a good memory of this species and they remain among my most favorite of falcons. In later years I tried a tame hack that lasted four months. This female too a wild taken eyas at about the same age. The results of all that time of allowing that female to learn to fly, become experienced and strong in flying, created a prairie falcon likely more like a wild flying falcon. A bird that would climb high and stoop all out on quarry. Just the best of falcons. That was in 1979. I wish more in falconry todays could experience what these birds can be. But here today, they remain almost the forgotten falcon. I think more falconers would want to fly one of these falcons if they could see the possibilities of this great falcon.
Dan
Old 06-09-2011, 09:47 PM
Gerry Plant
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by California View Post
The prairie falcon was my first large falcon. Taken from a wild eyrie in 1962 at about 21 days of age and raised in the manner I was shown by the man who taught me falconry, Bob McCallum. Bob a well experienced falconer by then and among the very finest I saw back then. This eyas female was brought along like so many and remained tame as she grew. Fitted with a " Spring " opening anglo indian hood using the Slijper formula, she was easy to hood and no problems ever with hooding. She was a good falcon in the hands of a beginner. Yet with Bob's guidance, she trained well and flew well. No real problems that I remember. This first experience with the prairie falcon left a good memory of this species and they remain among my most favorite of falcons. In later years I tried a tame hack that lasted four months. This female too a wild taken eyas at about the same age. The results of all that time of allowing that female to learn to fly, become experienced and strong in flying, created a prairie falcon likely more like a wild flying falcon. A bird that would climb high and stoop all out on quarry. Just the best of falcons. That was in 1979. I wish more in falconry todays could experience what these birds can be. But here today, they remain almost the forgotten falcon. I think more falconers would want to fly one of these falcons if they could see the possibilities of this great falcon.
Dan

Hi Dan - hope you and your wife are well.

I am a big fan of prairies........having flown a female that killed in spite of my poor handling efforts and a couple of pere/prairie females that were a real contrast in terms of performance & temperament (one being my favourite hawk ever) I will fly a high-flying prairie falcon at ducks in the future!

Gerry x
Old 06-09-2011, 11:21 PM
Colin Asquith
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Himiko View Post

They are very difficult to find in Canada and with talking to an American breeder they are hard to sell.

Bill
send them over here i'll buy some.....

Colin
Old 06-09-2011, 11:27 PM
Bill
Passage

So would I. The American breeders aren't CITES registered so I can't even get one out of the states.

Bill