Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > BIRD OF PREY TALK > Longwings - Falco > Pursuit Hawking

Old 08-09-2011, 03:01 PM
Dan Fenske
Brancher

Default Re: Prairie Falcons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Himiko View Post
So would I. The American breeders aren't CITES registered so I can't even get one out of the states.

Bill
Hello Bill,

Do prairie falcons nest in the Okanogan Valley ? I thought they once did.

Dan
Old 08-09-2011, 03:23 PM
Bill
Passage

Hi Dan. I didn't think so but checked our very extensive published breeding records and the species wasn't even mention. I will check a few other sources. Peregrines do.

Interestingly I have rehabbed some passage Prairies here and am seeing some now that migrate north from Montana, Idaho and Wash. then dip south again within this month. I could easily trap one but we can't touch them. (The ministry doesn't even know this happens and they would be considered non-native.) Another falconer and myself might attempt to get this changed.

Personally, I would like an imprint female which adds another element to get one from a breeder. Alberta has them by the bucket full but basically no one is interested enough to take some for future breeding. They don't need to.

Bill

Just in a brief glance Frank (B) claims they do nest in the Okanagan and Kootenay Valleys (I live in the latter) but this may be old data. I'm quite confident they are not nesting here or they would have been seen earlier and later during the season and some would likely not migrate as you know how hardy they are.

I will look into more possible sources. Frank, of course, through his work would have had access to provincial specimens. I'll get back to you.

Bill
Old 08-09-2011, 04:28 PM
Dan Fenske
Brancher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Himiko View Post
Hi Dan. I didn't think so but checked our very extensive published breeding records and the species wasn't even mention. I will check a few other sources. Peregrines do.

Interestingly I have rehabbed some passage Prairies here and am seeing some now that migrate north from Montana, Idaho and Wash. then dip south again within this month. I could easily trap one but we can't touch them. (The ministry doesn't even know this happens and they would be considered non-native.) Another falconer and myself might attempt to get this changed.

Personally, I would like an imprint female which adds another element to get one from a breeder. Alberta has them by the bucket full but basically no one is interested enough to take some for future breeding. They don't need to.

Bill

Just in a brief glance Frank (B) claims they do nest in the Okanagan and Kootenay Valleys (I live in the latter) but this may be old data. I'm quite confident they are not nesting here or they would have been seen earlier and later during the season and some would likely not migrate as you know how hardy they are.

I will look into more possible sources. Frank, of course, through his work would have had access to provincial specimens. I'll get back to you.

Bill
Hi Bill,
Just a thought, Wayne Nelson lived in one of the towns at the north end of the Okanagan Valley back in the 1960's. He was then searching for nesting peregrines in the Okanagan Valley, but may have found prairie falcons on those searches. He would be a good source of that information. I don't have his contact information, but he lives in Alberta now. perhaps you know all of this already ?
In 1968, I rode with Frank and Brian Davies to Prince Rupert. I seem to remember Frank saying that prairie falcons were or had nested along the Thompson River at one time. It looked pretty dry in that particular part of the drive. This information I would think would also be known to Wayne Nelson or Eddie Bigelow. Don't know where Eddie is today but others likely might.
Dan
Old 08-09-2011, 05:31 PM
Bill
Passage

Dan: When I had a little more time I went back to our "The Birds of British Columbia" which is probably the most extensive natural history of any regions birds in North America. (I couldn't believe Frank would make his claim and it be completely incorrect.) Don't know why it wasn't listing in the index but sure enough there are 4 very large pages (out of 636) in this volume which is only #2 of 4 of equal size. The authors claim: "Rare resident in the Okanagan valley. Rare late summer visitant to alpine areas of the Cascade Mountains, vary rare elsewhere in the south-central interior. Very rare transient to the southeastern portion of the province. Casual in the west Kootenay (I'm in the east Kootenay) and on the southwest coast including southern Vancouver Island. Very rare local breeder."

I know all the gentlemen you mentioned with the exception of Wayne but have read some of his research. He live in or near Edmonton, Alberta. Brian is very ill and lives near Ashcroft, B.C. My falconry buddy (we are the only two here) is Colin Trefry who worked with Brian in Ladner, B.C. I'm not certain Ed, jr is still alive but will find out for you. Frank, I'm sure you are aware passed away a year or so ago.

If you are interested I can scan the sitings recorded for the falcon in the province: 241 non-breeding and 20 during the breeding time of year.

Bill
Old 08-09-2011, 08:36 PM
Rob Rowe
Passage

I have a pair together , hopeing for next year.
Old 24-09-2011, 08:40 PM
Jordan
Brancher

Default Re: Prairie falcons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Collins View Post
Not flown one for a while but the tiercels if reared and trained properly are great bushwacking birds ,gutsy tough and super agile,you cant beat a good imprint,still have a female that i breed from but not pure prairies,mark.
lovely looking bird m8
Old 03-06-2012, 08:37 PM
Tanner Schaub
Passage

Some video of the local territory for the prairie falcon enthusiasts

Http://vimeo.com/40097020
Old 03-06-2012, 09:37 PM
Haggard

Hi Tanner,great footage of prairies in there natural environment,looks like a very tough place to breed and make a living,its no wonder the prairie is as tough as they come,brilliant any more pictures ,really enjoyed it,thanks for sharing,mark.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:02 PM
Forrest Keefe
Brancher

This is a Passage Prairie Falcon from the early 80's. I have flown both males and females. Some have attitudes and a challenge to work with, but hard hitting birds used to hunt anything a Peregrine is used for.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:07 PM
Chick

I have one, she is an imprint she is very nice and she laid 8 eggs. Unfortunately no semen available to inseminate her. Here she is with her first clutch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF8468.jpg (92.8 KB, 294 views)