Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > BIRD OF PREY TALK > Longwings - Falco > Pursuit Hawking

Old 08-10-2012, 07:54 PM
Paul Morris
Passage

Default Gullhawk Diaries

I've noticed that there are'nt many logs on gullhawks on the site. The 2 or 3 that I've followed in recent seasons have ended for various reasons. I don't have the time or the inclination to run a log on my own gullhawk so i thought it maybe a good idea to start a thread where people can share photos and flight logs who are in the same position as me.

This is Nell a third season female pere/saker flying at 2lb 1oz. She is used mostly on landfill, flying at larger gulls. She has had a few foot issues over the last 2 years resulting in her having only 6 working toes, 1 of which had to be removed. She copes pretty well, binding very well as you can see. This was her kill today, which she took very nicely hitting it 3 times on the stoop before binding in the air, a good effort considering shes only been out of the penn a couple of weeks and needs a month or so to get fully fit.

Paul.
Old 08-10-2012, 08:01 PM
Dan
Passage

Default Re: Gullhawk diaries

Good idea Paul, and well done on the gull mate.
Old 08-10-2012, 08:58 PM
Paul Morris
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Bray View Post
Good idea Paul, and well done on the gull mate.
Thanks Dan, her second of the season. Took a juvi lesser black back last week. She has taken crow and rook in the past too, but I'm trying to keep her on gull this season, resisting the temptation to slip her on the many corvids at work and on my permission. Shes much better on gull anyway. In my line of work, when you've got a good gullhawk you want to keep them on them. Shes a big girl, so ideal on the larger gulls.

Paul.
Old 08-10-2012, 09:34 PM
Paul Crawford
Brancher

Gull hawking, tried many years ago with David Coleman to fly the smaller ones on the fields at this time of year. Unfortantly, the flights went adleast 10 miles every day we took on a flight. Sadly my falcon got electrocuted coming down in a power station thing, ending a on going pain in telemetry tracking.
Have fun!
Old 08-10-2012, 09:44 PM
Paul Morris
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Gull hawking, tried many years ago with David Coleman to fly the smaller ones on the fields at this time of year. Unfortantly, the flights went adleast 10 miles every day we took on a flight. Sadly my falcon got electrocuted coming down in a power station thing, ending a on going pain in telemetry tracking.
Have fun!
Fortunately working landfill and flying the fields around work there are plenty to fly at and long 10 mile flights are rare. Mind you, I've had several crow flights go a long way too. Gulls of course don't make cover as corvids do.

Gullhawking is very addictive, in the same way a gamehawker loves a stoop from a high pitch a gullhawker loves a long, high flight with the falcon stooping and climbing multiple times.

Paul.
Old 09-10-2012, 10:14 PM
Paul Morris
Passage

Will try my best to keep this log going, dont know know how long it will last.

Mixed day today with Nell. Weather was'nt ideal for gullhawking, warm and still. Working landfill with her today so was hopefull of at least 1 flight.

Spotted a single large juvenile sat on the edge of the site not more than 30yds away, a slip I would normally leave as gulls rarely sit about on their own so assumed it was ill or mad . But let her go anyway, turned out to be a very strong bird that quickly gained height after jinking away from Nells pursuit. She eventually left it after 1 failed stoop, earned its freedom I think.

Had to wait till the end of the day before she had another flight. A small flock of mostly juvenile gulls came over the site, so let her go. She was very keen and left the fist and quickly went into a full on pursuit at the now fleeing flock. She gained on them and got herself over them in no time. She picked one out and bound on the first stoop, bringing it down into a foot of mud on the side of some thorn bushes. A pain to get to her but they don't care do they? A enforced hose down was required before leaving for home. Fed her up on the warm breast meat, a rest day tomorrow.

Nells dodgy foot. Bless her.
Old 09-10-2012, 11:42 PM
Passage

Great to see gull hawking being mentioned again on here, has seemed to die out a bit on the forum recently. I miss working the landfills, and don't think people appreciate how much fun they are with their diverse terrains, ponds, woods etc around the tips. I had fun and used to also fly at the many other pest species on the site, and in season the ducks pheasants etc to that frequented the grounds!

Si
Old 10-10-2012, 12:05 AM
Paul Morris
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austringer84 View Post
Great to see gull hawking being mentioned again on here, has seemed to die out a bit on the forum recently. I miss working the landfills, and don't think people appreciate how much fun they are with their diverse terrains, ponds, woods etc around the tips. I had fun and used to also fly at the many other pest species on the site, and in season the ducks pheasants etc to that frequented the grounds!

Si
Could'nt agree more Si. People don't realise that there is only a small part of a well managed landfill that is being 'worked' at any one time. The rest is either capped and re-planted or left for nature to take over, usually by Great Crested Newts . I have a gullhawk, a crowhawk and a gamehawk working on my site, and theres plenty for all 3. The flight ponds are particulary good, and there all mine, so long as the gulls are cleared first of course.

Paul.
Old 10-10-2012, 05:46 PM
Haggard

Hi Paul,i had a couple of gullhawking threads running ,eva being the main one ,not flown her much this season working on my home bred gyr/peregrine penny,couple of pics from this season,mark.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gull again 007.jpg (97.5 KB, 787 views)
File Type: jpg eva gull 2012 021.jpg (100.3 KB, 791 views)
File Type: jpg gull sept 012.jpg (100.4 KB, 793 views)
Old 10-10-2012, 08:49 PM
Paul Morris
Passage

Thank you Mark, nice pics. I followed Evas thread everyday when it was running
And enjoyed it very much. Hope to see her back soon. I especially loved the odd places she landed her gulls, roof tops, school playgrounds that sort of thing

Paul.