Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > BIRD OF PREY TALK > Longwings - Falco > Pursuit Hawking

Old 11-10-2012, 05:42 PM
Paul Morris
Passage

Default Re: Gullhawk diaries

Frustrating day with Nell today. Working landfill in Ipswich, which is always fruitfull. She was a little under her best weight at 1lb 15.5oz and it showed. Didn't get a slip on gull until the end of the day. A small flock of large gulls moved overhead, so I let her go. She pursued, but didn't get over them, so sat out. Whilst getting a chick out to call her to the fist she spotted a lone rook flying low down in the quarry, off she went and was on it in no time. Luckily she hadn't broken into it when I got to her, so exchanged and moved onto a large flock sat on a surrounding field. Let her go, but she pursued low to the ground rather than attempting to get over them. Returned to lure fairly quickly after ending her short pursuit. Definitely too low today.

Fed a bit of the rook breast as a little extra.

Paul.
Old 11-10-2012, 08:18 PM
Haggard

Thanks Paul getting her going again,hoping to slip her at gulls tomorow ,i put her weight up as busy with penny,she has had 10 kills [eva] in fact so has penny 10th kill today,keep the thread going cheers,mark.
Old 12-10-2012, 07:28 PM
Paul Morris
Passage

Nell was 2lb 1oz today.

Working landfill again. The weather was pretty aweful in the morning and had to do some actual bird control rather than pretending to do some bird control while doing some falconry as I normally do. So had my deterent bird out for a few hours to keep the gulls away while I waited for the sky to clear. She was a decent gullhawk herself until she decided to take on a Greater Black Back that turned the tables on her, and apon tracking her down was found halfway down its neck in the process of being eaten. Shes not been near a gull since.

The weather cleared in the afternoon and had two decent flights at gull in the strong wind over the surrounding fields, but no kill for her efforts. This bird loves using the wind and traveled a fair distance to go into the flock. The land is on the edge of the Gipping valley in Ipswich and I could see the flock on the other side a good mile away and knew she had them in her sights. I followed her flight through the binocs and watched them rise as she got closer. I lost sight so waited 5 or 10 minutes before getting the receiver out. She was already on her way back with a trail of rooks behind her. Always nice to see your bird return from a good distance into a strong wind.

Paul.
Old 13-10-2012, 09:47 AM
Passage

Thanks for the update, keep em coming.

Si
Old 16-10-2012, 07:55 PM
Paul Morris
Passage

Default Re: Gullhawk Diaries

Case of wright flight wrong quarry today. Should rename thread gull (with the odd corvid) hawking diaries.

Bird controling today in Ipswich, chomping at the bit today as I have'nt been out since last thursday for various reasons.

Nell was 2lb 05oz. The wind was increasing through the day which does'nt bother Nell at all, infact she prefers a strong wind as it helps her get up with gulls (lazy cow). Had two slips today, the first was on a few gulls still hanging around on site, in the air, but slippable. She went off into the wind and pursued into the the quarry trying to get over a couple of juvi's. She singled one out and began stooping. Was unsure whether she managed to hit it, but it made water and she returned. In The second flight she went off with the gulls as they climbed high, but before she got on terms with them she folded up and went at another flock lower down in the next field. Was sure she had one as I began tracking, but found her on a Jackdaw. Cracking flight, just the the wrong kill. I'm guessing she missed her gull and took the Jackdaw after the throw up.

Have a destinguished guest with me on site tomorrow, trying his hand at gullhawking. Won't name names, but one of his books inspired me to fly falcons

Old 16-10-2012, 08:28 PM
Dan
Passage

Enjoying your updates Paul, she sounds like a good bird. I'll have to give you a call soon about bringing mine over and trying for a Herring gull.
Whos the guest then mate, come on.
Old 16-10-2012, 09:14 PM
Paul Morris
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Bray View Post
Enjoying your updates Paul, she sounds like a good bird. I'll have to give you a call soon about bringing mine over and trying for a Herring gull.
Whos the guest then mate, come on.
Thats would be telling. Some people don't like being named in a forum, rather not get myself in trouble. Kicking myself abit, as my copy of his book (about gamehawking) has been hard to track down. Told me on the phone today that its worth a bit.

Come down and experience the joys of landfill Dan. Still a bit quiet though, need a few colder nights. I get a flight first thing and then again about 3 or 4 in the afternoon. Come november I'll be begging for help .
Old 17-10-2012, 09:30 AM
Passage

Glad that your able to share the fun with guests! I used to do it as a very solitary affair, but did bring a friend or two along to experience how good a landfill can be as varied terrain hawking! Maybe your guest will appear in todays photos...?
Old 17-10-2012, 08:47 PM
Paul Morris
Passage

Sadly my guest decided that the weather was not good first thing so will join me at some point this week.

The weather quickly improved, although I was hoping to get to the landfill early to get a flight in before the gulls left. I stuck my head out of the bedroom window at 6am and decided that another half hours sleep would be a better use of time.

Had 4 flights today with Nell, 2 of note. The first was going very well with Nell going up with the flock as they past over. She was working very hard to get on terms with one, but shes still lacking a little fitness. As she leveled out, she spotted a passage crow below and folded up into a vertical stoop and knocked it down, threw up and bound. Beautiful flight, wrong quarry, again. The problem I've got at the moment is that the gulls are still very nervous in the area so are not landing, just passing over at a safe height. Nell's working hard to get to them, but she's hunting a quarry that knows she's coming before we even get there. Really need to weather to turn cold soon.

Paul.

Old 17-10-2012, 09:50 PM
Brancher

Paul, is a gullhawk allways a falcon in your eyes?

Atb, Arnoud