Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > BIRD OF PREY TALK > Longwings - Falco > Pursuit Hawking

Old 06-01-2016, 05:37 PM
Passage

Default Re: Tappe the NZF

I'm really quite proud of Rob and Tappe - they have been a team without me for two months now and have developed a flying style for pigeon control. After lots of work on the lure at the farm, keeping it fun for Tappe and trying to challenge him using obstacles and wind, Rob now flies Tap regularly at the university. He flies from the roof of the library, a tall building that towers over the rest of the campus. Sometimes he also flies on fields nearby. Tappe likes to have a bit of time to stretch his wings and fly around to start with, usually staying in sight and herding pigeons. He herds them into little bunches but doesn't catch them, even if they get stuck or seem easy to catch. Then after a bit he looks for Rob and does around 15-20 enthusiastic passes to the lure. If Tappe loses sight of Rob he will look for him. He loves chasing the lure and is devoted to Rob. I probably won't be able to fly him when I get back without retraining him which will be a bit silly since they are getting on so well and doing a great job clearing the pigeons. I'm a little hesitant about letting Tappe off to do his own thing before calling him, and I worry he'll stray further and further, but Rob assures me it works. I'll be sad not to be able to work with this little guy again, he is such fun - I hope I will train another someday.
Old 24-03-2016, 11:38 PM
Passage

Some pics of Tappe flying to the lure the other day (unfortunately he shredded his feathers on a mesh aviary, but he's back behind bars now). He's up to 20 passes on the lure, loving it - then he gets thrown a tidbit, flies around a bit looking for pigeons and comes back to the lure again.

Old 20-06-2016, 10:06 AM
Passage

Tappe caught his first pigeon today - he was running up and down the roof at uni, and they were fluttering away from him. One landed in a tree. Tappe flew up, did a wing-over and the pigeon took flight - too slow! He smacked it, dropped through the tree branches onto the ground. One foot on the head, one between the thighs. He was very excited, came off the pidge to the fist and got a good bit of food and a leg from the pigeon. Happy wee falcon!