Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > BIRD OF PREY TALK > Longwings - Falco > Pursuit Hawking

Old 26-01-2008, 01:16 PM
Passage

Default Re: The European Kestrel ...

I have seen one stoop at a Blackbird in the wild unsuccessfully and mine wouldn't attempt anything large accept for one time it tail chased a gull for a field, but i put that down to territory. I would seriously like to see a video of this rare specimen.
Old 26-01-2008, 04:39 PM
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
I have a quick question if you dont mind. Do you think the same result are achievable without the baggies, I have no objections to baggies but they are illegal here, I have an EK, she is an ex display bird and only used to do glove work, I got her going to the lure but failed to get her hunting anything other than beetles and frogs, I think her age is against me I got her 3 years ago at 6 and she is now almost 9 years old.
Hello Claire,

I have no idea, looke, I donīt like to give advices about kestrels since I donīt know the bird. Everything I have ever learned or heard about them is that they do nothing more that bagged quails and hunting in the field, they are only capable of mices and some butterflies...

What I do, is listening to some spanish masters falconers who claim to do more with this birds, and I tooke her and try to discover the kestrel, myself, withouth paiyng attention to falconry texts regarding kestrels. I donīt belive them no more, and I try to discover it myself.

Clarie, I belive it would be hard to teach him now since he is old. It is better if you would start with a young, parent reared, inexperienced kestrel.
Withouth baggies, I belive it is very difficult.
Start up with one young kes, if baggies are not legal there... donīt know what to say. Iīll do it anyway

And yes, today we had the gratest day of our lives. I will tell you the story and put some fotos !!

Regards!
Old 26-01-2008, 04:47 PM
Dave
Haggard

Keep it coming, interesting stuff!!
Old 26-01-2008, 04:48 PM
Banned
Haggard

Kestrels are awesome little falcons.....I have seen footage of them hawking starlings and sparrows off a T perch....they are fast and intense. They are only limited by the falconer.
Old 26-01-2008, 05:00 PM
Passage

Well, today we get out.
First with the female spar, to catch the baggies. It was a very good day with the spar also, because in 8 flights she caught 6 birds ( 4 magpies, 1 sparrow and 1 little bird... ).
So, planty of magpies for the kestrel.

We get to the open field. I donīt know her weight now, since she is flying fat and I donīt control her because of her good response.
Remove the hood, she go and land on a post.... I walk to the middle of the field and... oh sh*t... Iīve forget the tape in the car... ( the tape to close the magpieīs beek so that she could not bite the kestrel and is she escape, she can remove it ).
I looke to the car, some 50 meters away... itīs far , I will release witouth taping the beek.
The kestrel is not following me, she is on top of the post some 50 meters away.
Move the glove... no response.
I tooke the first magpie out, large one and strong one ( no feathers removed ). I flap the magpie a little bit in the air and the kes was flying our direction but low !!! I hide the magpie and the kes start hovering over my head some 6 meters high. I release the magpie, the kestrel stoop fast and withouth even touch her she brought the magpie to the ground where the magpie made a turn and escaped the stoop, and the kes on the ground start chasing her beating wings... She tail chase the magpie some 100 meters over an open field to the pine forest, she was not loosing but maintaining the speed like the magpie !!!
But the magpie get to cover and escaped....

Second Magpie. I flap it and the kes was instantly over my head some 6 meters high looking at me. This magpie witouth tail and tooke out 3 primaries in one wing. I release the magpie, the kestrel stoop her and brought her to the ground with no problems ( did not touch her, the magpie gone for the ground itself with the kes stooping ). While on the ground, I was especting to grab her or at last to land and then to tail chase her like the other... But she did another thing !
On the first stoop, she did not intented to catch the magpie since now she was aware the magpie will be more clever and escape on the ground, so the kes made the first stoop and rapidly start climbing higher, some 10 - 15 meters above the ground,while the magpie was already flying over an open field !!!!
I looke the magpie flying away while the kes was climbing rapidly and I belive she would let her go and espect another magpie, but I was wrong, with 10 - 15 meters high, she came into a fast stoop gaining speed, and then she was flying down the magpie, tail chase her over the open field and like I say, flying her down she get to her after some 50 - 70 meters and grab her !!!!

Oh sh*t !!!! I forget !!! The magpieīs beek !!!! I start running fast as I can, and when I get there, the kes was waining me with both hand on the neck and head of the magpie... already bite the magpieīs eyes and she had PERFECTLY imobilized the magpie, biting very hard every time the magpie moved !!!!
She killed the magpie by herself without my help !!!

A large crop on top of the magpie and home we go !!!!

It was avesome to se! The " badass kestrel " every day faster and more agressive !!!

If 10 - 15 meters are suficient for her to gain the speed necesary to fly down a magpie, I belive 50 - 80 meters pich and also the fact preys donīt see kestrels as theyre natural predators... could be really really deadly !!! ( same thing, my masters always say ! ).

Todayīs fotos and best regards !!!!!

Sergiu....

Old 26-01-2008, 06:47 PM
The girls are back :)
Passage

Thanks for the reply, I will follow this thread with interest
Old 26-01-2008, 07:14 PM
Kevin
Haggard

Great acheivment for a kestrel
Kev
Old 26-01-2008, 09:47 PM
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben C View Post
Kestrels are awesome little falcons.....I have seen footage of them hawking starlings and sparrows off a T perch....they are fast and intense. They are only limited by the falconer.
If thats the one on YouTube its an American Kestrel Ben, if its not that site and its on the internet let me know the URL i wouldn't mind seeing it.

I think Sergiu is right, attempting to get a euro Kestrel to hunt WITHOUT the use of baggies to start them off would be hard, that said simply because I (and others) didn't have much sucess doesn't mean it can't be done obviously - i'm far from being any sort of expert and i've little doubt given the right bird, the right slip and maybe an ambush or two to start them off its possible.... but I think it would the exception rather than the norm....

....why am I suddenly tempted to have a go??....
Old 26-01-2008, 10:15 PM
Passage

Mullenix hunted with european kestrels, from the car window and also at night with the flashlight.
Like he said in the article, the difference between the american and the european kestrel, is that the american is more like an accipiter while the european is more like a peregrine.

So, I belive american kestrels fly very well from the fist, but the european kestrel would be very good waiting on and stooping at prey.

My intention is not to hunt from the car window, but to achieve an waiting on kestrel, that would stoop on magpies, pigeons etc...

But like I said, itīs very hard since she donīt waits on, only 15 meters in the best days, and no more that a few moments.....
The male Iīve flown before, was waiting on naturally some 10 minutes at around 30 - 50 meters, he was kiting around, only had to center him with some bagged quail.

But this female.... bfffff.......

Iīll keep you posted !

Best regards !!!
Old 26-01-2008, 10:17 PM
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoshawkRST View Post
Mullenix hunted with european kestrels, from the car window and also at night with the flashlight.
Like he said in the article, the difference between the american and the european kestrel, is that the american is more like an accipiter while the european is more like a peregrine.

So, I belive american kestrels fly very well from the fist, but the european kestrel would be very good waiting on and stooping at prey.

My intention is not to hunt from the car window, but to achieve an waiting on kestrel, that would stoop on magpies, pigeons etc...

But like I said, itīs very hard since she donīt waits on, only 15 meters in the best days, and no more that a few moments.....
The male Iīve flown before, was waiting on naturally some 10 minutes at around 30 - 50 meters, he was kiting around, only had to center him with some bagged quail.

But this female.... bfffff.......

Iīll keep you posted !

Best regards !!!
I for one am really pleased you are trying Sergiu!