Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > BIRD OF PREY TALK > Broadwings - Buteo > Harris Hawks

Old 03-12-2016, 06:18 PM
Egg

Default Re: Harris Hawk 'not for hunting' ?

It's a great shame that the Harris hawk is believed to be a beginner's bird.
Old 03-12-2016, 09:13 PM
Haggard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryder View Post
Ill grab the popcorn methinks
Old 03-12-2016, 11:21 PM
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Bannister View Post
ill grab the popcorn methinks
Lol.
Old 04-12-2016, 12:20 AM
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlands Rescue View Post
Love it Rene, Just like you to try and divert what is right to prove your point. One question:- Do you think an up weight bird of prey would choose to hunt quarry rather than accept the easier option of carrion or food on the fist? End of question. But if you think that anyone believes a bird hunts and flies to you for pleasure then you really need to talk to the general public as a majority seem to think we starve the birds to get them to do it. A good option would be to explain how it is achieved but don't believe that you can hood wink a majority of the public to believe you do not need a hunger factor into the equation. In this day and age with the access we have to almost any food we need or require are you seriously trying to say that people will believe us if we say we only hunt because we need to OR the birds does.
To be fair George I have known plenty of high in weight goshawks ignore the first, then go off and kill a pheasant!.regards Chris
Old 04-12-2016, 12:54 AM
Passage

Quote:
Love it Rene, Just like you to try and divert what is right to prove your point. One question:- Do you think an up weight bird of prey would choose to hunt quarry rather than accept the easier option of carrion or food on the fist? End of question. But if you think that anyone believes a bird hunts and flies to you for pleasure then you really need to talk to the general public as a majority seem to think we starve the birds to get them to do it. A good option would be to explain how it is achieved but don't believe that you can hood wink a majority of the public to believe you do not need a hunger factor into the equation. In this day and age with the access we have to almost any food we need or require are you seriously trying to say that people will believe us if we say we only hunt because we need to OR the birds does.
Many birds (individuals and whole species) will hunt and fly at high weights. It is down to the way you work with them and the instincts and behaviour of the species in general. Of course there is a weight factor, but that is a long way from saying the bird doesn't want to do it. Just as I don't fancy going for a run after a slap up meal - doesn't mean I hate running. I would definitely say that birds of prey genuinely enjoy hunting, chasing, killing. They seem excited and happy when doing what they have evolved to do. Of course, an animal's enjoyment is difficult to prove and highly unscientific, so that is subjective.

Also, I don't think the general public are experts in falconry, or that anybody here can really comment on what they think, other than that we need them to like falconry so that it can remain legal. If you truly believe that you are forcing an animal through starvation to do something it doesn't want to do, why are you doing it?
Old 04-12-2016, 08:18 AM
George
Haggard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeetleBasher View Post
Many birds (individuals and whole species) will hunt and fly at high weights. It is down to the way you work with them and the instincts and behaviour of the species in general. Of course there is a weight factor, but that is a long way from saying the bird doesn't want to do it. Just as I don't fancy going for a run after a slap up meal - doesn't mean I hate running. I would definitely say that birds of prey genuinely enjoy hunting, chasing, killing. They seem excited and happy when doing what they have evolved to do. Of course, an animal's enjoyment is difficult to prove and highly unscientific, so that is subjective.

Also, I don't think the general public are experts in falconry, or that anybody here can really comment on what they think, other than that we need them to like falconry so that it can remain legal. If you truly believe that you are forcing an animal through starvation to do something it doesn't want to do, why are you doing it?

That is not what I said and I object to you even implying I would say that. I'm finally going to give up on this forum.
Old 04-12-2016, 11:16 AM
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryder View Post
Nigel, since I'm here to learn, I'd be interested in the facts that made you write this.
As a matter of fact, I rely on some common belief (also, the book of Mrs Parry-Jones :

Quote:
the best one to start with are Harris Hawks, ... (other cited)
I would be most interested in your point. Would you mind enlightening me about HH 'not' being a beginners bird ? Or would there be others better fit for beginners ?
Old 04-12-2016, 01:40 PM
Egg

Quote:
[/COLOR]

I'm finally going to give up on this forum.
Understandable
Old 04-12-2016, 02:44 PM
Egg

It's a predator so often slighted but has so much to offer,frequently discarded in favour of( image wise)goshawks or falcons,when in today's climate where land to fly is almost impossible to find, the Harris hawk is in so many ways the perfect bird for so many,novice or otherwise. Should you choose a Harris bare in mind you've chosen a very special bird of prey indeed.
Enjoy the journey.