Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > BIRD OF PREY TALK > Broadwings - Buteo > Harris Hawks

Old 28-10-2010, 02:00 PM
Passage

Default Re: Understanding Harris Hawk language.

Hi David,
I remember how surprised I was when I first heard this kind of vocalisation. Guess it’s just another mesmerising aspect of working with the fascinating parabuteo.

‘The experienced Harris’ may verbally communicate what’s going on. If the quarry won’t move and thick cover prevents it being attacked from above, the falconer will be urged to try that bit harder at flushing. A really boxed in rabbit can be very difficult to move. Convinced there’s nothing there, the falconer moves on, but the bird won’t budge. So it’s back to the spot and, after a bit of discussion, the job is finally completed.’ The Complete Rabbit & Hare Hawk (1999, 2010)

‘An interesting aspect of free-flight hunting is how the bird often tries to alert its handler to the fact that it has spotted hiding quarry; I see this with rabbits, frequently with pheasants and just occasionally with hares. There are little calls – squeaks almost – that clearly transmit excitement. This most frequently occurs when the Harris’ has a high perch over game deep in impenetrable cover. And experience has taught me that the bird is never wrong. No matter how invisible, how firmly it resists the flushing stick, quarry is there.’ A Passion for Harris hawks (2002).

All the best,
Martin
Old 28-10-2010, 02:45 PM
Dave
Haggard

Thanks for that Martin, i am used to reading the signs, but this particular imprints clear vocalisation with a pinned pheasant comes as a surprise to me, i must admit. (being an imprint must mean it is instinctive rather than learned I guess?) I am surprised too at the fact that so many other Harris flyers experience it. Atb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Hollinshead View Post
Hi David,
I remember how surprised I was when I first heard this kind of vocalisation. Guess it’s just another mesmerising aspect of working with the fascinating parabuteo.

‘The experienced Harris’ may verbally communicate what’s going on. If the quarry won’t move and thick cover prevents it being attacked from above, the falconer will be urged to try that bit harder at flushing. A really boxed in rabbit can be very difficult to move. Convinced there’s nothing there, the falconer moves on, but the bird won’t budge. So it’s back to the spot and, after a bit of discussion, the job is finally completed.’ The Complete Rabbit & Hare Hawk (1999, 2010)

‘An interesting aspect of free-flight hunting is how the bird often tries to alert its handler to the fact that it has spotted hiding quarry; I see this with rabbits, frequently with pheasants and just occasionally with hares. There are little calls – squeaks almost – that clearly transmit excitement. This most frequently occurs when the Harris’ has a high perch over game deep in impenetrable cover. And experience has taught me that the bird is never wrong. No matter how invisible, how firmly it resists the flushing stick, quarry is there.’ A Passion for Harris hawks (2002).

All the best,
Martin
Old 23-12-2016, 07:43 PM
Egg

Well, I am kind of late on this very interesting thread.
I thought I might add an observation, which maybe does not mean anything but still : I had the first occurence of a growl by a young FHH.

She is 3 months old, parents reared, and has spent very few time with Homo Sapiens. Of course she has not been hunting yet.

On the 4rth day of her arrival, she emitted this growl/grunt, which I did not pay attention to. But she did it again the next day, at least twice.
I'm pretty certain that on each occasion, she was struggling/embarrassed with the jesses and trying to pull them.