Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > BIRD OF PREY TALK > Longwings - Falco > Gamehawking

Old 22-08-2017, 03:42 PM
Banned
Passage

Default Re: Marshall Back Pack Copy On Ebay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gull Whacker View Post
Just to be clear, I have no idea who makes or sells the poor quality copies I have removed and replaced for friends and club members. Fake versions of just about anything seem to originate from Asia and China. When I have enquired of the user where they got these items, I was told "I got it of the internet".
Given that I have had the same backpack fitted to several of my birds for 7 years now, cost per annum is running at about ú3.

Do you leave it on permanently? If so then I take it you have no problems and the ribbon doesn't deteriorate in any way. A comment like that is enough to sway an opinion. It'd work out at over ú4 a year at today's prices but still not bad. I'd hate to have to replace them every year at that price being what they are, a bit of plastic and a yard of ribbon😬
Atb
Tom
Old 22-08-2017, 04:21 PM
Brancher

Until this year (I retired), my Falcons were flown on average 210 days a year. They moulted with the packs on and were flown through the moult. All maintained excellent feather condition (I suffer from feather OCD) and no incidents of chaffing or rubbing were experienced. One of the above birds is 16 years old, so was introduced to the back pack quite late in life. In addition I also left transmitters mounted on most birds without a problem.

The key is get the fit right, and use quality kit. Not every bird accepts them, in my experience 4 birds out of all the ones I've done rejected the pack, this equates to about 3%.

No matter where you mount a transmitter there's potential for accidents, I'm satisfied that this is the safest and most effective position to mount them. Having gone through leg injuries and tail feather losses over the years, I've yet to have a backpack incident.
Old 22-08-2017, 07:49 PM
Banned
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gull Whacker View Post
Until this year (I retired), my Falcons were flown on average 210 days a year. They moulted with the packs on and were flown through the moult. All maintained excellent feather condition (I suffer from feather OCD) and no incidents of chaffing or rubbing were experienced. One of the above birds is 16 years old, so was introduced to the back pack quite late in life. In addition I also left transmitters mounted on most birds without a problem.

The key is get the fit right, and use quality kit. Not every bird accepts them, in my experience 4 birds out of all the ones I've done rejected the pack, this equates to about 3%.

No matter where you mount a transmitter there's potential for accidents, I'm satisfied that this is the safest and most effective position to mount them. Having gone through leg injuries and tail feather losses over the years, I've yet to have a backpack incident.
Yes I agree, I believe the back pack is the best way for both safety reasons and also it's in my opinion is the best position for balance which will interfere less with manoeuvrability due to its central position.
Atb
Tom
Old 22-08-2017, 11:48 PM
Gerry Plant
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulUsHilarius View Post
Hi Gerry,

what happened?
Hi Paul - as he bound to the mallard it flew between the strands of a barbed wire fence in an effort to reach a brook on the other side. The Marshall Powermax (about as low profile a transmitter as you can buy) on the Trackpack caught on the wire above and pulled the ribbon tight. Fortunately the cross-stitch on the ribbon at the keel pulled open acting as a sort of shock absorber and so the damage was limited to blood-bruising where the ribbon met the skin.

Gerry x
Old 23-08-2017, 07:06 AM
Banned
Passage

Gerry that's bad luck, the barb must've been close to stabbing the bird anyway. Also thinking about it can you be sure it never and the ribbon got caught later in the struggle during the time it took getting to the bird. I personally wouldn't be put off on a one off incident.
Atb
Tom
Old 24-08-2017, 09:38 PM
Terry
Passage

Thank you all for all the responses and advice.

Ordered a Marshall back pack and awaiting its arrival and my friend has given me one for now. That I will endeavour to fit tomorrow.

Regards

Terry
Old 25-08-2017, 08:25 PM
Gerry Plant
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by T0M View Post
Gerry that's bad luck, the barb must've been close to stabbing the bird anyway. Also thinking about it can you be sure it never and the ribbon got caught later in the struggle during the time it took getting to the bird. I personally wouldn't be put off on a one off incident.
Atb
Tom
Hi Tom - true but it is not worth the risk when there are less invasive methods available that won't result in the death of the hawk should the worst happen.

Gerry x
Old 25-08-2017, 09:02 PM
Banned
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugezWolf View Post
Hi Tom - true but it is not worth the risk when there are less invasive methods available that won't result in the death of the hawk should the worst happen.

Gerry x
Hi Gerry, I've read many horror stories and I don't know for sure which way is safest just the harness looks the best option. For something to get under the harness it must be pretty close to the bird in the first place. I don't like the idea of trailing antennas due to power cables. I guess there's no foolproof way of attaching anything to a bird. If you fly a bird without any telemetry then you get slated, the bird would probably live and you'd lose the cost of the bird but it's deemed irresponsible so you attach things and hope for the best. If I'm honest I'd prefer to lose a bird in the knowledge that it will live than have one die due to something I've attached.

Atb
Tom
Old 25-08-2017, 10:47 PM
Gerry Plant
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by T0M View Post
Hi Gerry, I've read many horror stories and I don't know for sure which way is safest just the harness looks the best option. For something to get under the harness it must be pretty close to the bird in the first place. I don't like the idea of trailing antennas due to power cables. I guess there's no foolproof way of attaching anything to a bird. If you fly a bird without any telemetry then you get slated, the bird would probably live and you'd lose the cost of the bird but it's deemed irresponsible so you attach things and hope for the best. If I'm honest I'd prefer to lose a bird in the knowledge that it will live than have one die due to something I've attached.

Atb
Tom
Hi Tom - I have massive experience of flying falcons with various telemetry mounts and currently utilise tailmounts only so that speaks books.

Gerry x