Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > BIRD OF PREY TALK > Longwings - Falco > Gamehawking

Old 16-02-2011, 10:03 PM
Antony Rhodes
Passage

Default Living the Dream

I have been very fortunate that Falconry has enabled me to meet many wonderful people ,friendships forged years ago by a mutual love of falcons have enriched my experience . These days whilst I still seek to strive hawking perfection it is the people & places with whom & where I hawk that mean the most to me .The purpose of this thread is to share some of those experiences with like -minded people .It is not meant as a how to do it or 'mines better than yours 'just a plain old written & pictorial celebration of longwinging .These days I enjoy hawking secure in the knowledge I have nothing left to prove & hope my legacy will be that I did it right & helped anyone who needed it . It has been fun searching my archives & has brought back many great memories & I would like to share them .
I am starting my thread with a photographic tribute to Jeff Armstrongs much loved & sadly departed pointer Bob & his superb Peregrine Falcon Regal .Bob was as good a pointer as I have seen & Regal was a supreme high flying big female Peregrine .As a team they were awesome & will long be remembered by the people lucky enough to have witnessed them in action.
Starting with Duke -bobs sire
Followed by Bob & Regal & finishing with Amber ,Bobs daughter

Cont.

And finally
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Duke.jpg (96.7 KB, 12016 views)
File Type: jpg bob 8.jpg (91.7 KB, 11966 views)
File Type: jpg bob 5.jpg (93.9 KB, 11984 views)
File Type: jpg jeff & bob.jpg (97.3 KB, 12004 views)
File Type: jpg jeff & regal.jpg (87.1 KB, 11881 views)
File Type: jpg bob1.jpg (88.5 KB, 11727 views)
File Type: jpg bob3.jpg (88.3 KB, 11493 views)
File Type: jpg bob 8.jpg (91.7 KB, 11375 views)
File Type: jpg regal1.jpg (77.6 KB, 11186 views)
File Type: jpg regal 2.jpg (77.7 KB, 11043 views)
File Type: jpg bob a.jpg (97.8 KB, 10861 views)
File Type: jpg regal3.jpg (84.7 KB, 10596 views)
File Type: jpg amber.jpg (47.1 KB, 10200 views)
Old 16-02-2011, 11:04 PM
Jeff Armstrong
Passage

Default Re: Living the dream

More than a bit of a lump in me throat there Antony and thank you for helping remember where the picts were taken , was like yesterday , Bob was the double of his dad eh . That isnt a electric collar incase anyone is wondering tho , its a marshall transmitter , I used to loose him in stubble fields he lay so close to the ground when cover was short .
many thanks JEFF
Old 17-02-2011, 12:30 AM
Michael Calvin
Haggard

Hi Antony

I like the idea behind the thread! My experiences would amount to well less than half of yours but for a while I travelled many miles and sacrificed almost everything else in my pursuit of perfection. How I kept my wife and job I'll never know Had many wonderful times and met countless charachters and great hawks the length and breadth of the country. Eventually, family committments forced me to see what could be acheived nearer home and more than a few ducks and Partridges very obligingly provided great sport. The 'Fulstow' meets were my way of trying to give a little back and I'm glad that they are remembered fondly by many people...we had some great flights there over the years eh?
The first time I met Jeff will live long in the memory...we got an invite to try our hand at some early season grouse from by good friend Peter Kirk but none of us even had our hawks out of the chamber when the invite came so we were far from prepared and the flying was not worth mentioning. Nevertheless, a few of us shared a beautiful afternoon high up on a windy hillside somewhere in the Borders and as we were sat in the heather nattering and taking in the view, Jeff's falcon 'Regal' decided she'd had enough of standing upright on the fist and laid down on Jeff's lap, snuggled up next to 'Bob' and just chilled! I was curious about how she took the hood so well 'cos my own experience of hooding an imprnt wasn't so good. Jeff said she quite liked it and would often shuffle her head into the hood when offered to her. I wasn't having that and asked him to show me. Sure enough, he offered the hood up to her and she leant forward and placed her own head in there then shook it on to get a comfortable fit. I'd never seen that before...or since, although I hope Jeff was joking when he said she often did it so she didn't have to look at ugly folk and I was a bit close!!!!! All good stuff eh!
A few weeks later Jeff invited us to his ground at Newbiggin and apart from me being a little blood thirsty and resorting to a bit of a multiple stoop rat hunting with my new G/P (he became a good re-mounter which helped with the duck flights later on!), we had a great couple of days and I got to see Regal and Bob doing their thing in the greatest of style so I will always be thankful of that. She was the first female Peregrine that I saw fly in the way that anyone would wish to see...all wingbeats and action...and incredibly 'clockwork' and methodical...all done over one of Bob's well found and rock solid points...great stuff!
Best Regards, Michael.

PS. I have countless other great memories of people, hawks, dogs and places and perhaps this is the thread where we can put some of them...did I ever tell you about the time Andy Hollidge saved my life? Perhaps another time......
Old 17-02-2011, 01:00 AM
Ned Perry
Passage

Good read and pics lads
Old 17-02-2011, 04:16 AM
Jeff Armstrong
Passage

I remember those like yesterday Mickael , I remember a cracking flight one very cold and frosty morning at Newbiggin. You needed to be away so we were out first thing.The place was white with frost and we spotted several covies at Sandy Bay .If Im right (so much for remembering like yesterday lol ) Nick flew Zulu at a covie in the bigger of the field and killed it in fine style then you flew , your falcon , like Nicks went to a very good pitch , just didnt manage to get to his bird , remounted again to a similar pitch and killed another after a sterling piece of cross country running to another covey almost 1/4 mile away which he duely killed in clinical style then home for breckie and wake the others from there alcohol induced slumber lol, by the way , cant remember any rat hunting !
The pict with the windturbine in the back ground Mickael is where we flew Regal that day , its all houses know youl be sad to hear Im sure .Also Mickael the place on the borders was near Selkirk , strangly enough quite close to my new place up there.
Antony , picture 7 , is that the point San killed the gouse just off the moor on the 10th Dec or was it George Thompsons g x p male?
Jeff

jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomOlivia View Post
Hi Antony

I like the idea behind the thread! My experiences would amount to well less than half of yours but for a while I travelled many miles and sacrificed almost everything else in my pursuit of perfection. How I kept my wife and job I'll never know Had many wonderful times and met countless charachters and great hawks the length and breadth of the country. Eventually, family committments forced me to see what could be acheived nearer home and more than a few ducks and Partridges very obligingly provided great sport. The 'Fulstow' meets were my way of trying to give a little back and I'm glad that they are remembered fondly by many people...we had some great flights there over the years eh?
The first time I met Jeff will live long in the memory...we got an invite to try our hand at some early season grouse from by good friend Peter Kirk but none of us even had our hawks out of the chamber when the invite came so we were far from prepared and the flying was not worth mentioning. Nevertheless, a few of us shared a beautiful afternoon high up on a windy hillside somewhere in the Borders and as we were sat in the heather nattering and taking in the view, Jeff's falcon 'Regal' decided she'd had enough of standing upright on the fist and laid down on Jeff's lap, snuggled up next to 'Bob' and just chilled! I was curious about how she took the hood so well 'cos my own experience of hooding an imprnt wasn't so good. Jeff said she quite liked it and would often shuffle her head into the hood when offered to her. I wasn't having that and asked him to show me. Sure enough, he offered the hood up to her and she leant forward and placed her own head in there then shook it on to get a comfortable fit. I'd never seen that before...or since, although I hope Jeff was joking when he said she often did it so she didn't have to look at ugly folk and I was a bit close!!!!! All good stuff eh!
A few weeks later Jeff invited us to his ground at Newbiggin and apart from me being a little blood thirsty and resorting to a bit of a multiple stoop rat hunting with my new G/P (he became a good re-mounter which helped with the duck flights later on!), we had a great couple of days and I got to see Regal and Bob doing their thing in the greatest of style so I will always be thankful of that. She was the first female Peregrine that I saw fly in the way that anyone would wish to see...all wingbeats and action...and incredibly 'clockwork' and methodical...all done over one of Bob's well found and rock solid points...great stuff!
Best Regards, Michael.

PS. I have countless other great memories of people, hawks, dogs and places and perhaps this is the thread where we can put some of them...did I ever tell you about the time Andy Hollidge saved my life? Perhaps another time......

Last edited by Falcons7; 17-02-2011 at 05:25 AM.
Old 17-02-2011, 06:43 AM
Michael Calvin
Haggard

Jeff,
Perhaps your memory is fading I actually flushed THREE coveys for my hawk that morning! although I suppose 'rat-hunting' isn't really correct as the hawk re-mounted quite nicely each time and the birds being flushed were different each time (you had alot of Parcos back then...still the same nowadays?) I was a bit blood-thirsty though cos I don't like going home from someones ground without taking one of their birds with me!!! I remember you saying something about how we were in a very small group of people who came to your ground and actually killed game cos most had struggled.
All I can remember about the moor we were on that day is that the grouse were very jumpy and moving well ahead of us making it difficult to get a flyable point, Oh, and there was a keeper out with us who shot hawks and let it be known to us that we wouldn't have been on there if it had been up to him...so he said anyway
Regards, Michael.
Old 17-02-2011, 07:41 AM
Sam Rice
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arran View Post
I have been very fortunate that Falconry has enabled me to meet many wonderful people ,friendships forged years ago by a mutual love of falcons have enriched my experience . These days whilst I still seek to strive hawking perfection it is the people & places with whom & where I hawk that mean the most to me .The purpose of this thread is to share some of those experiences with like -minded people .It is not meant as a how to do it or 'mines better than yours 'just a plain old written & pictorial celebration of longwinging .These days I enjoy hawking secure in the knowledge I have nothing left to prove & hope my legacy will be that I did it right & helped anyone who needed it . It has been fun searching my archives & has brought back many great memories & I would like to share them .
I am starting my thread with a photographic tribute to Jeff Armstrongs much loved & sadly departed pointer Bob & his superb Peregrine Falcon Regal .Bob was as good a pointer as I have seen & Regal was a supreme high flying big female Peregrine .As a team they were awesome & will long be remembered by the people lucky enough to have witnessed them in action.
starting with Duke -bobs sire
followed by Bob & Regal & finishing with Amber ,Bobs daughter

Cont.

and finally
Hi Ant lovely read and photos,if any of us have lived the dream you have....well until the wife and kids arrived

ATB
Sam
Old 17-02-2011, 07:50 AM
Michael Calvin
Haggard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judd Casper View Post
Hi Ant lovely read and photos,if any of us have lived the dream you have....well until the wife and kids arrived

ATB
Sam
Hi Sam,

When we first met you already had 'the wife and kids' and I found it amazing that you were 'living the dream' then, and you probably still are now...how old are the girls now? How the hell have you got away with all these years???!!!

Regards, Michael.
Old 17-02-2011, 08:04 AM
Antony Rhodes
Passage

Hi Mike ,Sam Jeff it is great to rememnber the flights places & laughs ,it is scary how quickly puppies turn to old dogs & falcons go down the wind these days & when I read up old diary's how much I have forgotten. The main purpose of this thread is to relive the great days (& some bad!!) & jog peoples memories with photos . I won't be talking much about my hawks -it is much easier to concentrate on the great hawks I have been priviledged to witness .My contributions to the thread won't be in any particular order just what & when comes to mind or my memory is jogged by events or photos . Mike hows it in Aus ,though I would post this to show what you're missing !!!
Somewhere in Scotland!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wild scotland.jpg (95.6 KB, 9819 views)
Old 17-02-2011, 08:20 AM
Michael Calvin
Haggard

Thanks for that Ant!!! I was just about to say that it wasn't all bad here then I scrolled down and saw the picture. Closest I've come to shedding a tear for many a year. You certainly knew that would happen didn't you?. This is giong to be a great thread, I can feel it in my bones and to ANYONE who dares to try and spoil it with negative comments...please go somewhere else please (it would have been a good old northern 'go forth' but I've already had one infraction and I don't want a ban!). Come on boys, lets have the great memories up here. Did I ever tell you about the first time I met Steve Frank an Christian Saar?....later maybe
Regards, Michael