Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > BIRD OF PREY TALK > Longwings - Falco > Gamehawking

Old 17-02-2011, 08:01 PM
Chris Southern
Passage

Default Re: Living the Dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haek View Post
Antony If I may can I take you even futhe back beyond those heady days of pointy winged things. What ever happened to that friend of days gone by that tried to cut a cow in half with his head and car.
That would be John Hick, I well remember him knocking on my door, and me answering to see this guy with a face like a balloon and held together with a wire frame.
John was and probably still is a really nice guy, he walked away from falconry and took up shoeing horses for a living, I think he still does that but I have not seen him for many years.
We used to have some great times flying sparrow hawks together, until he took up with a Harris and lost his way

Chris
Old 17-02-2011, 08:15 PM
Barry
Passage

Chris I could remember Johns first name but not his last, If memeory serves me well both John and Antony had a spell as you put it loosing their collective ways, lol. If this is the Chris I suspect it is I still have a painting of a lanner by some obscure would be artist, second prize in a club raffle or it may have been first prize
Old 17-02-2011, 08:44 PM
Haggard

Default Re: Living the dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony James View Post
Hi Ant,

I couldn't agree more --- it's the friendships that ultimately will be most cherished.
We've all had hawks to be proud of, and we've all had hawks that were less impressive, but at the end of the day it's the qualities of the falconer, not just as a falconer but as a person, that are most important.

I'll try to remember a few highlights to share with you to illustrate the point.

Hope you're well,

Tony.
It's funny Ant, but there are so many highlights, for such varying reasons, that singling anything out as being particularly impressive is very difficult --- but for now I'll just share a few words and thoughts from this past weekend in France.

13th Feb 2011.

I've never been a great enthusiast for gyrs (at least not when compared to my love for peregrines), but over the past few days I've seen three very impressive jerkins flown by Xavier and Patrick Morel, and, the one about to be flown now, by Julien Rigoreau.

We're not in the most perfect country for good gamehawking, but the gamebirds are released rather than wild and are generally naive enough to bypass good cover in an effort to make their intended sanctuary as though they were being driven on a shoot day, to give the falcons a realistic opportunity for success.
Most flights are speculative ones over cover strips, and require a good degree of patience from the falcon.

It's Julien's turn to fly his gyr, and by now it comes as no surprise to see it mount almost unnaturally quickly, until it was high enough to be difficult to see.

Given that there was no knowing when we would flush, I decided to keep watching the falcon as we walked the strip of maize, rather than try to locate him somewhere near the bottom of his stoop.
Just a couple of minutes later the falcon disappeared momentarily as he folded into his stoop directly above me, and then I heard the shouts that told me game had been flushed.

The gyr seemed to be stooping directly at me, and then I caught sight of a partridge as it curled back over my head, perhaps 30 yards up. For those few moments, the sight of both partridge and stooping falcon in the air above me created an unforgettable image, and I whooped with excitement like a madman.

When I walked into the next field to get some photographs of the successful team, I told Julien that for me, his was the best flight of the meeting.
In stark contrast to those falconers that seek acknowledgement and adoration, he immediately and graciously pointed out what he thought had been a better flight by another falcon, and I was left pondering the different attitudes that go to make up those falconers that I do, or do not wish to associate with.

Best wishes,

Tony.
Old 17-02-2011, 09:31 PM
Chris Southern
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haek View Post
Chris I could remember Johns first name but not his last, If memeory serves me well both John and Antony had a spell as you put it loosing their collective ways, lol. If this is the Chris I suspect it is I still have a painting of a lanner by some obscure would be artist, second prize in a club raffle or it may have been first prize
Yes that would be me, may well have been the booby prize

Chris
Old 17-02-2011, 11:11 PM
Haggard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arran View Post
Do you know where these are ??!!!
I think i do and if its not its verry verry simlour
Old 17-02-2011, 11:20 PM
Haggard

takennot to farr away from theses pics i took?

Old 17-02-2011, 11:38 PM
Michael Calvin
Haggard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judd Casper View Post
Hi Mike I have a very supporting understanding wife in Debbie don't you think? Kirsty is 17 and Jessica is 14 and your right I am still getting away with it...to a degree anywayHow old are Tom and Olivia now and do they talk like real Aussies?

ATB
Sam
Hi Sam,

I thought they were older than that. That would have made them about 4 and a baby when we first met and I came and stayed at yours! I'm feeling old...
Tom is 12 now and Livvy is coming up 9 very soon. Tom's not the slightest bit interested in the hawking, he comes out with us but he soon goes off looking for snakes and 'yabbies' (fresh water prawns...lovely on the barbie) and other such nasties. Livvy is a great little helper and she loves flying the tiercel and is often one step ahead of me getting the ckicks out of the bag or whatever. And yes, they are proper little Aussies in every way. They have the accent, the 'boardies' (surf-board shorts), they love surfing at the beach, playing in the pool and dirt-bike riding. They have such a different life now and their only memory of the UK is that "it rains and it's cold"! I swear they complain at the cold if it drops below 25 degrees C! Winter (if you could call it that...more like 6 months of a British spring) is just around the corner thank goodness so I look forward to their whinging as it means cooler mornings and plenty of water in the dams and MUCH better flying.
Anyway, sorry to go off topic with my ramblings, great thread Antony, did I ever tell you about the time my hawk flew over the top of Scafell Pike (England's highest) whilst still hooded AND I got him back safe and sound a couple of hours later!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!1

Best Regards to one and all, Michael.
Old 18-02-2011, 05:48 AM
Jeff Armstrong
Passage

Thats the way it should be Tony , we have as you know a get together at my place every January and the attatude is similar .Everyone wants everyones falcons to fly well and if they dont you can tell everyone is disappointed for them and during all this we have a great laugh regardless. Its a nice way to end the season ......... with liver damage

Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony James View Post
It's funny Ant, but there are so many highlights, for such varying reasons, that singling anything out as being particularly impressive is very difficult --- but for now I'll just share a few words and thoughts from this past weekend in France.

13th Feb 2011.

I've never been a great enthusiast for gyrs (at least not when compared to my love for peregrines), but over the past few days I've seen three very impressive jerkins flown by Xavier and Patrick Morel, and, the one about to be flown now, by Julien Rigoreau.

We're not in the most perfect country for good gamehawking, but the gamebirds are released rather than wild and are generally naive enough to bypass good cover in an effort to make their intended sanctuary as though they were being driven on a shoot day, to give the falcons a realistic opportunity for success.
Most flights are speculative ones over cover strips, and require a good degree of patience from the falcon.

It's Julien's turn to fly his gyr, and by now it comes as no surprise to see it mount almost unnaturally quickly, until it was high enough to be difficult to see.

Given that there was no knowing when we would flush, I decided to keep watching the falcon as we walked the strip of maize, rather than try to locate him somewhere near the bottom of his stoop.
Just a couple of minutes later the falcon disappeared momentarily as he folded into his stoop directly above me, and then I heard the shouts that told me game had been flushed.

The gyr seemed to be stooping directly at me, and then I caught sight of a partridge as it curled back over my head, perhaps 30 yards up. For those few moments, the sight of both partridge and stooping falcon in the air above me created an unforgettable image, and I whooped with excitement like a madman.

When I walked into the next field to get some photographs of the successful team, I told Julien that for me, his was the best flight of the meeting.
In stark contrast to those falconers that seek acknowledgement and adoration, he immediately and graciously pointed out what he thought had been a better flight by another falcon, and I was left pondering the different attitudes that go to make up those falconers that I do, or do not wish to associate with.

Best wishes,

Tony.
Old 18-02-2011, 06:59 AM
Sam Rice
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloudBase1664 View Post
[ in fact it was an invite from Dave Goff to attend a field meeting at Ottewells that I first met you and a few others

What about the Ottawell meets Ant ?Any photos or memories from those great fieldmeets?

Dave
Hi Dave who took the pics at Lockwoods for the BFC journal when we were graced with the presence of the great Henri and his hounds from hell?

ATB
Sam

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomOlivia View Post
Hi Sam,

I thought they were older than that. That would have made them about 4 and a baby when we first met and I came and stayed at yours! I'm feeling old...
Tom is 12 now and Livvy is coming up 9 very soon. Tom's not the slightest bit interested in the hawking, he comes out with us but he soon goes off looking for snakes and 'yabbies' (fresh water prawns...lovely on the barbie) and other such nasties. Livvy is a great little helper and she loves flying the tiercel and is often one step ahead of me getting the ckicks out of the bag or whatever. And yes, they are proper little Aussies in every way. They have the accent, the 'boardies' (surf-board shorts), they love surfing at the beach, playing in the pool and dirt-bike riding. They have such a different life now and their only memory of the UK is that "it rains and it's cold"! I swear they complain at the cold if it drops below 25 degrees C! Winter (if you could call it that...more like 6 months of a British spring) is just around the corner thank goodness so I look forward to their whinging as it means cooler mornings and plenty of water in the dams and MUCH better flying.
Anyway, sorry to go off topic with my ramblings, great thread Antony, did I ever tell you about the time my hawk flew over the top of Scafell Pike (England's highest) whilst still hooded AND I got him back safe and sound a couple of hours later!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!1

Best Regards to one and all, Michael.
Hi Mike sounds to me like you are all living the Aussie dream down there.

ATB
Sam
Old 18-02-2011, 08:47 AM
Eddie Thorn
Passage

What a great anti-dote this thread is to the feeling of withdrawl as the cold turkey of the end of the season bites! Keep up the anecdotes, tales like these are always a great read and very much appreciated when they are shared.