Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > BIRD OF PREY TALK > Longwings - Falco > Gamehawking

Old 27-06-2011, 09:43 PM
Neil Pywell
Brancher

Default Re: The Making of a High-Flying Duckhawk

Hi Gerry , good luck with your new falcon mate , see you at woodhall ! That's the only place I ever see you , atb neil
Old 28-06-2011, 03:31 AM
Gerry Plant
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparty View Post
Hi Gerry , good luck with your new falcon mate , see you at woodhall ! That's the only place I ever see you , atb neil

Thanks Neil - hopefully I'll do better than last time!

Gerry x
Old 29-06-2011, 01:09 AM
Gerry Plant
Passage

Tuesday, 28th June 2011 at 22:00hrs – Dry, 66F (indoors) – 37.65oz (empty)

Hi Folks – this morning I managed to get a couple of hours off and finished my night-shift early so I could drive down to Suffolk to collect my new peregrine at 05:00hrs. Unfortunately the traffic was horrendous so having travelled 140 miles in just over 2 hours it took me almost another 3 hours to cover the last 20 miles and I arrived over 2 hours later than planned!
However, never can such a nightmare journey have been so worthwhile as when the breeder encouraged me to look through a spy-hole into the skylight/seclusion pen my eyes beheld a beautiful seven week old falcon – just perfect!

The breeder quickly caught her up and I fitted ‘Jenni’ with a No.6 Pineo pattern hood which was originally worn by Bubble’s sister, ‘Sasquatch’ back in 1999 – perfect fit. She was soon equipped with anklets & jesses and I stood and admired her as she sat on the fist like she’d been born to it. Her feet are very heavily-built and have a 4” span and this made the tiny ‘V’ ring she wore on her right leg look even smaller – she was DNA-sexed as a tiercel using the egg membrane after hatching.

She was placed on the scales and weighed 41oz with food in her gut but no crop and the breeder sprayed her down with water in preparation for our journey home. She rode the cadge almost flawlessly as I only had to stop twice during the whole journey and that was just to adjust the position of her feet on the cadge in order to save her tail feathers in the early stages of the trip. I was home by 15:00hrs after an uneventful three & a quarter hour journey.

I spent the next 3 hours carrying her hooded on the fist indoors & out whilst stroking her back, tail & legs to get her used to what will come later in terms of equipment fitting & removal. I worked in some hood conditioning and started off by merely striking the braces before fastening them again then progressed to lifting the hood just clear of her eyes before replacing it and then removing it for up to 10 seconds at a time prior to re-hooding. The only time she bated was when my wife suddenly burst into the kitchen where I was doing a touch of manning with Jenni bareheaded.

Jenni was then perched hooded atop an indoor block which was itself placed on an 8ft square worktop 4ft off the floor in a light-proof mews. Later in the evening I did a bit more hooding-practice in the dimmed light of the mews before setting up a lure near her block which was garnished with a small quail that I sprayed with fresh water to aid her hydration should she decide to feed. Green mutes told me that she was nearing empty and her weight had dropped 3oz from this morning’s weight so I knew that she was due a meal.

I switched off the light before removing her hood – leaving her bareheaded and in complete darkness as I carefully exited the room. I had arranged for a timed-light to come on during a 2 hour window of opportunity. She spent the first 30 minutes exploring the constraints of her leash by bating at the end of it and the last 90 minutes sitting still at the end of the leash but wasn’t interested in eating. This is normal and I expect her to feed tomorrow evening. I picked her up in the dark and replaced her on the block – leaving her bareheaded in total darkness.

Gerry x
Old 29-06-2011, 06:33 AM
Ash Lawson
Passage

Absolutely stunning Gerry. Very jealous! All the very best with her I'll follow this with interest!
Ash
Old 29-06-2011, 06:58 AM
Tobias Kueblboeck
Brancher

Old 29-06-2011, 07:18 AM
Ian M
Brancher

Nice looking bird and well written start, keep it like this!
Old 29-06-2011, 07:20 AM
Mark - Official Site Sponsor
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornishMan Abroad View Post
Cornishman abroad your up early this morning
Old 29-06-2011, 10:36 AM
Gerry Plant
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CotswoldRedtail View Post
Absolutely stunning Gerry. Very jealous! All the very best with her I'll follow this with interest!
Ash

Thanks Ash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monti View Post
...........and Tobias.

Gerry x

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornishMan Abroad View Post
Cheers Ian..........will try!

Gerry x
Old 29-06-2011, 02:20 PM
Neil Pywell
Brancher

Nice one Gerry ! Hope she works out for you mate . Atb Neil
Old 29-06-2011, 02:36 PM
Michael Rodway Williams
Brancher

Gerry - I'm confused- is she really a he, was the DNA testing faulty or was the breeder's first guess wrong.
(Your falcon's still beautiful either way)
Mike