Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > BIRD OF PREY TALK > Longwings - Falco > Gamehawking

Old 22-09-2017, 06:49 PM
Passage

Default Re: Flicker Male parent Peregrine x Prairie Falcon

Pictures on behalf of Terry.

IMG-20170918-WA0003.jpg

IMG-20170918-WA0004.jpg

IMG-20170918-WA0005.jpg
Old 22-09-2017, 09:34 PM
Terry
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Love My Dog View Post
Thank you Donna.

I've been hunting all week.

I'll post the details when I get time to type it all.

Regards

Terry
Old 23-09-2017, 08:23 PM
Terry
Passage

Hello Lee

Just pmd your boy I think.

How you doing ? Got that seed here for you mate.

Hows the hunting going ? What's the Grouse tally now ?

Is your bird flying now ? I hope so....

Hope you are well.

Regards Terry
Old 24-09-2017, 06:01 PM
Brancher

Hi tell it lee just got message all ok be home weekend fanks for seed something out cheers mate
Old 26-09-2017, 10:46 PM
Terry
Passage

Had a wild marsh Mallard with him tonight near home. It weighed 3lb 4oz. But struggling to get slips this week. I keep spec flying him and its not producing enough flushes. Only two flushes in the last six flights. But a big flock went tonight from the long pond at dusk. Don't know what species, but definitely Mallards and some Teal with a few medium sized ducks mixed in. High tide was at 5pm. We flew at very last knockings about 7pm.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WP_20170926_19_25_58_Pro.jpg (97.6 KB, 190 views)
Old 03-10-2017, 10:06 PM
Terry
Passage

Today

Waiting for the ducks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WP_20171003_18_39_27_Pro.jpg (94.3 KB, 139 views)
File Type: jpg WP_20171003_18_38_37_Pro.jpg (96.2 KB, 140 views)
Old 03-10-2017, 10:38 PM
Terry
Passage

Hello

Been trying to fly as much as possible.

Never flew last two evenings because of the wind..

Went to long pond tonight. Tried to spot it but just moorhens, coots and little grebes. Waited crouched in bushes til dusk and too late to fly. Only a pair of Mute Swans came in. Not a single quack heard from the pond.

Shame. Nice evening. Breezy but bright. But low water at sea perhaps this is why no ducks.

Had a flight at a big mixed flock a few days ago on same pond. Two flushes. First at the mixed flock. Lots of them 60 or many more. I laid in the grass and he remounted Teal all coming back in. Second flush at mostly Teal but they bailed in the grass and brambles. Getting up at my feet from grass after feeding him.

Been struggling for slips. Failed to serve him about 6-8 times since coming home trying to spec fly duck. Only killed two Drake Mallards and one Tufty since coming home. No migrant ducks about yet. The first Teal were the ones that dumped. Haven't seen or heard a single Widgeon yet.

Still keeping hard at it when I can. He seems well in himself. No signs of the Cocci showing. Flying him at 1lb and 75-80grams. Long story but using balance scales and mixed up imperial and metric weights. Actually starting to like it too. Just the 1lb weight and then grams for the detail. Oh and an air pellet to balance them first. Been feeling nearly all skinned chick and just a bit of Pigeon meat a few times a week. But only about 1/2 his daily ration of pigeon twice a week. Not taken any mute samples. But his shhitte looks all fine and feet nice and yellow still.

It hard trying to keep it all together with work and family and all. But all ok. My little boy one has been given a kids falconry glove by my friends daughter and he's asked if he can have a Barn Owl...! I've said no of course. He's only about 6ish. Hopefully he'll get bored of hawks soon. He's only been out a few times on my friends farm land so its easy for him. I can't take him ducking on the marshes it's too unpredictable. Also I had a Partridge flight last week but they jinked him, released Greys. Nothing special. I was trying to repair for four non flushes in a row at the ducks.

I must try to keep posting daily....

Managed to post two pics today. Rene will be proud of me.....but it ain't made the falconry no better...lol
Old 08-10-2017, 10:42 PM
Terry
Passage

Hello

Haven't been flying due to no vehicle.

Now back on the road.

Will try to keep thread updated.

Regards

Terry
Old 10-10-2017, 08:46 PM
Terry
Passage

Hello

Back hunting again now after break because of no car. Got my old van back after the insurance write off and patched it up. It smells really bad inside...

Anyway. Sunday I cleaned out his pen, washed the block and fed him some pigeon. I've been feeding him on the fist during the break and its made him falsely keen at home. I over fed him by mistake with the pigeon and he was 1lb and 92grams at 5pm last night but bating at me like he was ravenous because of the fist feeding at home.

The tide was in and I went to the long pond. He was cadge running in van on pick up. Gloomy and quite breezy. I waited at the pond without trying to spot it for 20 mins but never heard a quack. I flew him at about 6.15pm chancing for some ducks being home. He flew ok. Nothing too lively but made about 300-400ft. Then balls up the flushing. He was above but turned away as I climbed the fence to come over the bank and I stopped to let him do another turn but I was too close and they see me. A group of Teal lifted but not urgently so I hollowed, ran and threw rocks. Buy he had already started to stoop. So many Teal lifted from the whole length of the pond. Maybe 60 or 100. All Teal no larger ducks at all. He stooped over the water but I couldn't see past the reeds. Teal going everywhere whooshing around low in small groups all terrified, some going away and others doing a tight loop going back onto the pond further down. I couldn't bare to call him in like I should so I colditzed him lying down in the grass. He remounted only to about 100ft with Teal still whooshing round him coming back in and him completely ignoring them. I let it all settle for a minute then ran again shouting and rock lobbing. He stooped again but I don't know what happened other than he never killed one. Again Teal going everywhere. I called him in he was wet from water spray and blowing hard. I had ruined the flush at the start.

As he finished feeding I was about to hood him and I heard a buzzard calling that was coming towards us 100yrd away. He bated sharply and returned to my hand. I nearly let him go..! I hooded him and the buzzard came right past us mewing and he was star gazing with wings dropped ready to bate whilst hooded. He has a very deep ingrained fear of them now and its getting worse. Hopefully this will save his life one day eh...?

Been out again today.

Post details soon.

Regards Terry
Old 10-10-2017, 08:59 PM
Passage

Glad Your back out with Flicker. Keep the write ups coming.