Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > BIRD OF PREY TALK > Longwings - Falco > Gamehawking

Old 30-09-2011, 10:36 PM
Terry
Passage

Default Re: Flicker Male PR Pere x Prairie

Took him to the duck pond with two friends - 6.00pm.

Expected that the tide would be in but it was out.

Put him up 300yrds from the pond he went a good 600ft.

We walked the last 100yrds and he stooped at the pond - i don't know what at as u cannot see the water.

He remounted to the same pitch and we walked the pond and clapped - two Teal left from the far left of the pond and he went them - not sure how they jinked him as there is trees behind and it was hard to see what happened - but he chased them off for a few hundred yards.
We backed off - he came back and he remounted a little lower - we walked to the pond again - two Mallard were on the middle so we all clapped at them but a Teal went from the right reeds he stooped hard at it but it looped back throwing itself into the reeds.

I called him in the lure and fed him.

1lb 2 1/2 oz - He was a little lower pitch tonight but really tight waiting for us to flush.

Regards Terry
Old 03-10-2011, 08:56 PM
Terry
Passage

Update on the past few days.

Saturday took him to the farm late 5.45pm.

Just me and the dog. Put him up over a ditch line - on spec really but there is always Pheasants here.

He mounted quickly and was climbing all the time I was beating -after two or thee minutes the dog was winding and we flushed young hen - he was about 600-700ft up and to my right quite far - I shouted to him but the Pheasant had gone 40 yards before he started stooping. They went off round the hedge and I tracked him about 150 yards where I found feathers on the field, and him in the ditched eaten the head of the bird. It was a young hen, tail not full down but a big bird for him. There was some feathers in the tree above them too - I don't know whether bound to it or knocked it down first. Took me five minutes to find him it was well dead, its eyes were gone.

1 lb 2 1/2 - 3/4 between at 4.00pm

There's some photo's of the kill attached.

Sunday - 6.00pm again on the same ditch but much further up - bit more cover here.

With Phil Hawkes, me brother and Jess the dog.

Same pitch as yesterday - waiting on for a good ten minutes whilst we beat - he checked and came straight back - he went a BB but I don't know what happened as we could not see down the hedge. Then he re mounted to about 300ft and the dog was pointing - all got a bit frantic as me and the dog were trying to flush the bird that had run along the ditch. It flushed about 40yards away and the bird was about 300ft but away to the side - he stooped leveled and bound to it, they dropped down about 100yards away and then he came up again so I called him in and fed him.

Great day today - he flew lovely for me - waiting on a treat for ages.

He loves the beating - makes him right on me.

1lb 2 1/2 - 3/4 between

Today

Left it til late and went to the duck pond near home 6.00pm.

Tide was in.

Put him up 200 yards from it - quite windy - he went off as usual climbing nice. I looked for him a few times and he was there then i walked some and couldn't see him. I minute of two then I seen him stooping at the pond 3 or 4 times - I'm still 100 yards from it.

Then he comes over me hovering at 100ft - I'm well gutted but should have fed him then I suppose.

But no - I walk up the field trying to get him to go up, then he goes back the pond still 100 yards away for a few more stoops.

A right mess it was - anyway foolishly I then walk back to the pond and flush the ducks - loads of them 10 Mallard and 6 Teal about - he stoops at the Teal and they loop back to the pond and I'm gutted.

Know way were they going to flush clean after all the aggro.

Not sure what to do about this - this pond is a great set up - a real shame he stooped at the ducks - he done this the other day just one stoop though then mounted ok.

Perhaps I shouldn't try to fly this pond with him for a while - but I will cos its so close to home and a perfect set up.

Gutted today thought - could have been great.

Those Teal have know where to go if you flush them properly.

Will try to fly him tomorrow - but not sure as have a meeting at work in the evening.

Will try to get off in the afternoon if I can

1lb 2 3/4 - so a bit over but I'm sure that's not why he played up.

Regards

Terry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Terrys photos October 2011 055.jpg (93.4 KB, 690 views)
File Type: jpg Terrys photos October 2011 049.jpg (95.7 KB, 676 views)
Old 03-10-2011, 09:18 PM
Jak Mulholland
Passage

Great reading terry sounds like your doing a grand job mate
Old 04-10-2011, 04:00 PM
Terry
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jak View Post
Great reading terry sounds like your doing a grand job mate
Thanks Jak

Any help with the stooping at ducks on the pond would be appreciated.

Ta Terry

Hello

No flying today as I have to go to work in a little while.

He's having a bath in the garden.

Will be out tomorrow over the farm to ry one of the ditches.

The farmer has given us some Wheat so I will begin feeding some of the ditches this weekend.

1 lb 2 1/2 oz tonight - perfect for him.

He just has two chicks and a head to keep it right.

Regards

Terry
Old 04-10-2011, 05:47 PM
Dean Leadon
Haggard

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryS View Post
Hello All

Just thought that I would start a thread on my young falcon.

The aim was to make a hedgerow falcon for Magpies and BB's.

Iv'e had him from 9 weeks old and got him on 18th July from the breeder.

He weighed 1 4 3/4 empty and hooded the day after I got him with no bell.

He was very wild and hard to man for the first few days - screaming and biting me me when un hooded.

Once he began feeding he came around quite nicely and would sit bare headed in the garden and jump to me for food on the pick up.

By about day 7 seven he was jumping well and I showed him the lure - with no wings.

Day 12 or so he was let free and he flew about 300 yards to a tree got mobbed by crows and came back to be fed up. He was 1lb 2 3/4 oz on this day.

I have spent a lot of time with him by now to man him the best I could.

I am new to longwings but have been flying shortwings for 25 years.

I let him off each day to let him circle me once or twice and gave him the lure for a full feed up after this every time.

After a fortnight of this I began to throw him a Pigeon (dead) each night but he would not stoop at them at all.

Sometimes he would go off quite far on little sorties of his own but always come back without landing - still at the same 1 lb 2 3\4 oz.

After throwing him about six pigeons (dead) - one each night - he still would not stoop at them so I gave him a magpie (dead) on the block which he attacked and ate. This was the first thing with feathers on that he showed interested in. Week 3 now.

He then had six magpies (dead) thrown for him - one each night - of which he snagged two.

By now he was probably waiting on at about 150ft and would follow me walking the stubble for a few hundred yards.

I threw him about another ten pigeons (dead) sometimes two in a the same session over the next week - he never caught one.

After every flight he was called in and fed fully on the lure.

By now he really is quite tame and a pleasant little fellow to handle.

I began to put him up and walk the stubble to flush larks for him to stoop at - sometimes three or four stoops b4 I gave him the lure - he never caught one but was getting fit now and going higher 200 - 300 ft if the conditions were right for him. I flew him every day no matter how windy or rain.

On the 15th Aug I accidentally flushed a wild Red Leg whilst walking the rough and he knocked it down and then caught it after a short chase - I fed him up on this. He was about 100 - 150 ft at the time and had already been on the wing for 3 - 4 minutes b4 - he had chased a few larks and a hare first. We had quite a few chases at hares, larks. pippits during these training days. Once he bound to a young Pheasant cock that I flushed but he lost it. On another day we had quite few stoops at a Maggie that he lost.

I then took him to Scotland on the moors for ten days starting 26th August. He killed a young Blackcock on the first day and an adult Red Grouse on the second day. Both of these birds were from quite low pitches and I think that lady luck was with me. For the rest of the holiday he made some really good pitches and was served most days - he hit a few other Grouse and was generally trying really hard and flying nice. Still 1lb 2 3/4 / 1lb 3oz - but with hind sight this is probably a bit to high for him.

By the end of the holiday he was really quite fit and a bit independent / over weight although still the same 1lb 2 3/4oz

Coming home on the 7th Sept I tried any way that I could to get flights for him. On the 2nd day home I put him up over a salting duck pond but there was no ducks at home - I flushed a moorhen that he stooped at - the moorhen had landed on the sea wall before he finished stooping and he landed in the grass next to it - it got up to fly back to the pond and he caught it after about 20ft so I fed him up on that.

Now he is waiting on really nice - varying pitches from 300 - 500 ft. tight though as if he knows the game.

Then come some slips I balls up not really knowing what I am doing.

Pheasants on stubble that do not sit when I let him off, or R L Partridges that run when the hawk is released.

One when I was calling back from a failed R L P slip where they ran and as he coming back to me swinging the lure literally 50ft from me and the dog flushed a large young hen Pheasant that he tail chases it away and I find him eating 300 yards away. Big bird though for my tiny hawk.

And some slips that go well to - a lone Mallard on a ditch when he makes 500ft and hits it nice but doesn't stop it.

Last Monday a flight on a duck pond when he 800ft - and loads of Mallard and a single Teal go - but he stoops the Mallards, gets a bit confused changing targets and it all goes wrong.

An adult hen Pheasant from few hundred foot that he kills after going check and coming back to me and the pointer for me to flush for a nice bind.

Another Pheasant poult that he kills from waiting on at 400 - 500ft with me and the dog ratting the hedgelines for ages for him. Sometimes now he is waiting ten minutes for me to try and flush for him.

To be honest its all a bit messy but we are having a go and its great fun.

Today was one of our good days.

It was dusk and I put him up over a salt marsh pond.

He went about 300 ft then stooped at something over the sea wall on the marsh - he came straight back over now 500 - 600ft and I walked to the pond and clapped the ducks off. There was about 15-20 Mallards and behind them two Teal. He ignored the Mallards and hit the front Teal lovely whack send it cartwheeling in the air. A nice loop over and our first duck was bagged.

So we have had a Redleg, two Grouse, a Moorhen, 3 Pheasants ( 2 were Poults) and the Teal tonight.

Having great fun so far.

I will keep posting of any highs or lows throughout the season.

Happy Hawking

Terry
Do yourself a favour Terry,carry on in the same veign,you have done everything wrong in the making of a gamehawk,yet you have done everything right???Experienced gamehawkers get set in their ways over the years and believe me it sometimes is not for the better,I honestly believe that before I learned to train gamehawks so called properly my birds have deteriorated,I once flew a cast of praire tiercels,they waited on at vast height over the recreation ground where I trained them,they were served and both stooped together and took their game out!Could I do this now???I wouldnt even attempt it,I would most definately fail!!Keep it up mate and have a great season!!!atvb Dean
Old 05-10-2011, 10:02 PM
Terry
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
Do yourself a favour Terry,carry on in the same veign,you have done everything wrong in the making of a gamehawk,yet you have done everything right???Experienced gamehawkers get set in their ways over the years and believe me it sometimes is not for the better,I honestly believe that before I learned to train gamehawks so called properly my birds have deteriorated,I once flew a cast of praire tiercels,they waited on at vast height over the recreation ground where I trained them,they were served and both stooped together and took their game out!Could I do this now???I wouldnt even attempt it,I would most definately fail!!Keep it up mate and have a great season!!!atvb Dean
Dean

Thanks for your advice - just having a go.

Been out today - I'll post the details in the next post.

Can you give me any advice about him stooping at the duck pond when there still on the water.

I'm going there tomorrow - so i'll post what happens.

Regards

Terry
Old 05-10-2011, 10:18 PM
Terry
Passage

Default Re: Flicker Male PR Pere x Prairie Falcon

Update for today

Out tonight over the farm with me brother and the spaniel/whippet.

Saw some Redlegs near the farm house they were settled nicely by the hedge - drove past them a few times getting water barrels for the drinkers and they were in the same place each time over a twenty minute period.

It was really windy - probably far too windy but I couldn't resist not having ago.

I put him up 200 yards from them down wind where they cannot see me because of the hedge.

He goes off down wind and starts to pitch probably 300 - 400 ft but well back a few hundred yards - he was battling to get back to me but struggling and did another circle now higher but another 100 yards further back. Then he stooped but never came up.

He was on the far side of the field behind and had killed young Pheasant Cock - just half grown or so.

Took me ten minutes to get to him and he had already eaten its head.

When I looked at the bird it wing was really smashed on the elbow - it was was broken - don't know whether he hit it flying but I assume so - it was a very sharp stoop - not the slanting type.

Gutted he killed his first check tonight - hope its not another nail in the coffin of him waiting on for me.

Glad it weren't a Pigeon though.

Duck pond tomorrow.

Will be much more careful of the strong winds from now on.

I must be more disciplined myself.

1.2lb 1/2 oz

Regards

Terry
Old 06-10-2011, 08:00 PM
Terry
Passage

Default Re: Flicker Male PR Pere x Prairie Falcon

Hello

Just an update.

No flying tonight too windy.

Trying to be careful after yesterdays check.

Day off work tomorrow so I'm going to try and get a Partridge flight for him.

Hope the weather is ok.

Regards

Terry
Old 06-10-2011, 08:28 PM
Dean Leadon
Haggard

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryS View Post
Dean

Thanks for your advice - just having a go.

Been out today - I'll post the details in the next post.

Can you give me any advice about him stooping at the duck pond when there still on the water.

I'm going there tomorrow - so i'll post what happens.

Regards

Terry
What you will find Terry is that the praire in him will give him the balls of an elephant,sometimes this is the come uppance of a great gamehawk!!Be very careful when you flush mallards under him,he could injure himself on the strike or he could get a wing whipping on the ground,he will need to learn his craft very early to come to terms with them,he is a slight bird after all!!!As for stooping at them on water some eyas peregrines will give this a go sometimes,I have even seen them hit water and row towards mallard!!!Wierd but true,they soon learn!!
Old 06-10-2011, 08:55 PM
Terry
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
What you will find Terry is that the praire in him will give him the balls of an elephant,sometimes this is the come uppance of a great gamehawk!!Be very careful when you flush mallards under him,he could injure himself on the strike or he could get a wing whipping on the ground,he will need to learn his craft very early to come to terms with them,he is a slight bird after all!!!As for stooping at them on water some eyas peregrines will give this a go sometimes,I have even seen them hit water and row towards mallard!!!Wierd but true,they soon learn!!
Dean

Thank you for you reply.

May I ask you what should I do if he has been stooping them on the pond - Shall I still flush them for him at a low pitch, or just call him in and feed him. I did do this once but the Teal just looped back to the pond as he stooped at them and I thought perhaps by doing this I me be worsening the problem by trying to rat hunt them.

Usually they are mixed flock of Mallard with a few Teal. Later there will be lots of Teal and Wigeon on this pond as I have flown it a bit last Winter with a Shortwing.

Once he hit a female Mallard that I spotted alone on a ditch. It was going full pelt across an open field and he was coming from 500ft or so but it barely even rocked it.

I understand that the Mallard are too big really but when I'm looking for a slip its really hard to find so sometimes find myself having a go at something just so he can have a flight rather than feed him on the fist.

Thanks for your advice.

Regards

Terry

Ps - Been reading your post on Fidget - excellent !