Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > BIRD OF PREY TALK > Longwings - Falco > Gamehawking

Old 19-02-2014, 09:43 AM
Michael Calvin
Haggard

Default Re: Snipe Hawking 14/15

A couple more pics of what could be the ideal Snipe hawk......Oh and one of Tom fishing the beaches recently, Nick you'd see a big change in him since our 2012 visit...gonna be a big un! No sharks caught this time but something fairly big went with our floatie and rig
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 020.jpg (95.1 KB, 471 views)
File Type: jpg 021.jpg (95.3 KB, 472 views)
File Type: jpg 024.jpg (94.8 KB, 471 views)
Old 19-02-2014, 11:17 AM
Nick Curry
Passage

Great pics Mike,
You get a government bonus for great whites don't you?!

Nick
Old 19-02-2014, 11:24 AM
Michael Calvin
Haggard

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakDaggerTiercel View Post
Great pics Mike,
You get a government bonus for great whites don't you?!

Nick
The Gov't can shove their bonus where the sun don't shine...they got that one very wrong! we only go for tailor mostly but the odd small shark shows up now and again so we often put the floatie out if it's an offshore breeze....very hard to land though, they usually give one last push and leave you tackleless but thrilled
Old 19-02-2014, 09:22 PM
Brancher

Shwmae Nick yes the GWP has just finished her 6th season on snipe and does the job really well. I don't have the numbers of snipe that you seem to have there, just singles and the odd pair so the dog has to cover alot of ground to find the snipe. She was the same as yours in her first season bumping them up but she soon learnt to slow down. Whenever I see the english pointer working stylishly I think to myself i'll try one next time, but after another good season with the GWP it ll be hard to change. Cheers Tony
Old 19-02-2014, 09:52 PM
David
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomOlivia View Post
The Gov't can shove their bonus where the sun don't shine...they got that one very wrong! we only go for tailor mostly but the odd small shark shows up now and again so we often put the floatie out if it's an offshore breeze....very hard to land though, they usually give one last push and leave you tackleless but thrilled
Catch some flathead their lovely fried in butter

Who made that hood Micheal it's very nice
Old 20-02-2014, 05:22 AM
Michael Calvin
Haggard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor_Man View Post
Catch some flathead their lovely fried in butter

Who made that hood Micheal it's very nice
Manfred in spain, it was alot nicer before it got crushed under a load of stuff in the car! it's aone piece hood (google 'one piece hoods/manfred for his website) and only weighs in at about 4g.
Old 20-02-2014, 05:30 PM
Nick Curry
Passage

Speaking of small hoods, for small snipe hawk type falcons another great hoodmaker is Chris Proctor, out of Utah.

http://www.proctorhoods.com/

I obtained some small perlin hoods from him last summer and the craftsmanship is superb as is the lightweight design, 3-4g for the small merlin types.

With the weak dollar presently its a great time to import.

Nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomOlivia View Post
Manfred in spain, it was alot nicer before it got crushed under a load of stuff in the car! it's aone piece hood (google 'one piece hoods/manfred for his website) and only weighs in at about 4g.
Mike,

Manfreds hoods look great and more importantly by all accounts fit very well too. Unbelievable the range of quality hoodmakers out there now.
Not too long ago the choice seemed to be Pineo or Jones, take your pick!

Nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cymro View Post
Shwmae Nick yes the GWP has just finished her 6th season on snipe and does the job really well. I don't have the numbers of snipe that you seem to have there, just singles and the odd pair so the dog has to cover alot of ground to find the snipe. She was the same as yours in her first season bumping them up but she soon learnt to slow down. Whenever I see the english pointer working stylishly I think to myself i'll try one next time, but after another good season with the GWP it ll be hard to change. Cheers Tony
She sounds a gem Tony. Slow and careful seems to suit the job better?
I often think if my bitch would just slow down it would giver her more chance to catch the scent!!

Nick
Old 22-02-2014, 07:54 PM
Nick Curry
Passage

Today I had a run up to a privately owned allotment to give the dog a run. The cover here is a bit longer and consequently there were as many jack snipe as commons.
One the dog pointed on the lead and was only a couple of feet away crouched very tightly. All just flew 50 yards or so and put back down again (inc the one in slow motion), unlike the commons which nearly always sky out.
More and more larks are showing up daily and even without a merlin on their tail it's a pleasure just to watch them climb up into the sky singing their hearts out and then dropping down like stones to earth when they need a rest. It's always worth watching them, just in case a wild merlin comes streaking in and livens up their day!
Is anything more quintessentially British than a singing lark?
It would be nice to find time for another merlin this summer.

Https://vimeo.com/87358219

Nick
Old 22-02-2014, 09:42 PM
Michael Calvin
Haggard

I had a similar walk out with my setter yesterday Nick, and although shorts and tee shirts were the order of the day, my experience would have been fairly similar to yours!
we found about a dozen quail (all seperate singles) but two or three of them were the smaller Button quail which never seem to fly very far before putting in but the larger Stubble Qauil usually go much further.
Can't get out this morning...Millie has a sore foot from all the rock hard ground...we need some rain!. Will get some video soon....I keep forgetting to buy a vcr Michael.
Old 23-02-2014, 03:39 PM
Ian
Passage

WATCHED
0:37

WATCHED
0:39

hi nick not sure if these will work not great a loading vids ,i popped out on a piece of my ground just outside my back door not safe for flying but holds a few snipe ,was way to windy to bother trying to train the dogs on my flying ground which is on romney marsh but managed a few flushes still. next season will be my first season at snipe also, been planed for some time now and doing all i can to understand there movements and behavor ,the dog struggled with the wind swirling all over but the jack in vid 2 holds real tight .and there speed in the strong wind is crazy atb ian