Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > BIRD OF PREY TALK > Longwings - Falco > Gamehawking

Old 17-09-2017, 02:42 PM
Tod
Passage

Default Re: Snipe Hawking 14/15

English pointer mainly,,shes a darlin,,,
Old 23-09-2017, 09:56 PM
Brancher

Nice one Tod. Up on the hill this morning working a rush bed with the GWP, she didn't go on point as such just a few wags of her short tail and a glimpse over her shoulder at me just to make sure i was looking. Were the only signs i needed to know there was a snipe up ahead, Dewi knew the the signs as well and he didn't hang about on the glove for long he'd killed quite a few snipe on this mountain the past few seasons. I've got a bit of a fasination with the microsensory gps at the moment and while he was mounting i watched the handset 20m 30m 40m 50m 60m then i heard the all too familiar sound of 2 peregrines having a go a wild bird had come in, they were locked together for a while then broke off and in the end they went out of sight. The hand set kept me up dated real time for 1.5km until signal was lost so then i sent a text to find the tiercel was a couple of miles away over the local collage . The old pointer was still holding position so i let her flush and out popped a brace of snipe. I started making my way back to the the car ( cursing the peregrines and questioning why i pursue this addictive sport ) when the handset started bleeping in my pocket , on checking the tiercel was in the air over a km away heading back this way and in he came to the lure and i called it a day. We'll get there one day.
Nice to see a fox on the way back no doubt heard and saw the falcons having a tussel and thought he was having peregrine for breakfast. Tony
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9811.jpg (100.6 KB, 184 views)
Old 24-09-2017, 12:34 PM
Nick Curry
Passage

Hi Tony,

Thanks for the updates.
The snipe are starting to arrive here in appreciable numbers. I hope to get some flights later in the season.

Regards,
Nick
Old 24-09-2017, 05:35 PM
Brancher

Shwmae Nick good to hear from you and nice to see you haven't given up the challenge. I'm missing those atmospheric video clips of your uplands only my pictures to add a bit of colour to this thread.

Worked a bit of mountain which was burn't 2 years ago it looked really bad at first but now its green again and seems better for the snipe and easier to walk on.
The hood came off as soon as the dog went on point and as he left the glove the snipe decided to depart also ,there was a short tail chase before the tiercel came over but no other snipe to be found.
I moved on to a fresh bit of ground and exactly the same thing happened again. I'm always analysing what went wrong and what went right and today i put it down to 1. The dog did n't give the quarry enough respect or 2. the ground cover was n't long enough to hold the snipe comfortably.
I flew the older tiercel free for the 1st time this season, he went off and came back over us and i lured him down. Not bad after being in the aviary for 8 months.
Tony
Old 24-09-2017, 06:16 PM
Brancher

Older tiercel on the left
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170924_175554.jpg (97.0 KB, 170 views)
Old 24-09-2017, 07:09 PM
Bradley Church
Passage

Nice looking pics Tony, Snipe Hawking sounds like it can be quite a difficult quarry to get a decent flush on. At lest your or the wild Falcon weren't injured in the tussle. I'm sure you'll get there, best of luck!

Nick, I'm glad the Snipe are coming back and in good numbers. It's looking good for you to get some more sport out of them this season then?

Happy Hawking,

Bradley
Old 24-09-2017, 09:37 PM
Brancher

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradazTheFalconer View Post
Nice looking pics Tony, Snipe Hawking sounds like it can be quite a difficult quarry to get a decent flush on. At lest your or the wild Falcon weren't injured in the tussle. I'm sure you'll get there, best of luck!

Nick, I'm glad the Snipe are coming back and in good numbers. It's looking good for you to get some more sport out of them this season then?

Happy Hawking,

Bradley
You 're right there Bradley there seems like a million things that can go wrong it just makes it that much sweeter when it goes to plan. Tony
Old 27-09-2017, 09:32 PM
Brancher

Worked an upland pasture today , hilly with the odd patch of rushes. Snipe are short on the ground to say the least and are very jumpy so i decided to fly on speck this morning. The tiercel mounted whilst the dogs worked the ground underneath, after a couple of minutes a snipe broke. It broke wide out and the tiercel was on to him straight away matching him jink for jink as it were, the snipe was reluctant to leave the safety of the reeds and within no time they were over the brow out of sight. I checked the handset which showed the tiercel was on the ground 80m away so I made my way in the direction hoping to find him dinning on a hot meal but after 30 m he flew out of the rushes empty taloned. Ne mind always tomorrow. Tony
Here's a picture of the young setter taking an interest in the groung scent
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _17A9414.jpg (98.9 KB, 128 views)
Old 05-10-2017, 10:19 PM
Brancher

Older tiercel caught his 1st snipe of the season today , like an old pro he made it look easy ,only the 3rd snipe he's seen since the moult. He was already in the air when the GWP came on point and you could see his flight pattern alter instantly.
He more or less always stoops at the dog causing the dog to flinch slightly before remounting , also he has learn't the importance of waiting up wind which is great to watch his experience paying off . With a down wind flush it was a stoop and a hook at the bottom to secure his breakfast, what a pleasure it is to see an experienced team doing what comes naturaly to them. Tony
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20171005_100051 (1).jpg (99.7 KB, 75 views)
Old 05-10-2017, 10:29 PM
Gerry Plant
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cymro View Post
Older tiercel caught his 1st snipe of the season today , like an old pro he made it look easy ,only the 3rd snipe he's seen since the moult. He was already in the air when the GWP came on point and you could see his flight pattern alter instantly.
He more or less always stoops at the dog causing the dog to flinch slightly before remounting , also he has learn't the importance of waiting up wind which is great to watch his experience paying off . With a down wind flush it was a stoop and a hook at the bottom to secure his breakfast, what a pleasure it is to see an experienced team doing what comes naturaly to them. Tony
Well done Tony - what is that ugly big thingy on his back!

Gerry x