Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > BIRD OF PREY TALK > Longwings - Falco > Gamehawking

Old 21-12-2014, 09:16 AM
Dave Shearman
Brancher

Default Re: Killed or injured by Buzzards.

We have a well established peregrine nesting site been there for years . and they they have to live side by side with the local buzzards who frequent the area . often seen the young buzzards falling prey to peregrines every year . one buzzards nest i was watching managed to rear 3 youngsters who were up and flying and over a month they seccumbed to the peregrines. such is life no need for us to interfere ,
Old 21-12-2014, 09:36 AM
Haggard

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomOlivia View Post
but let the keepers call for their cull, not us falconers.
Best Regards, Michael.
Wise words.

Falconers should NEVER call for any harm to come to any raptor - ever.

There's plenty who feel that hawks should be shot - let them do their own campaigning. It's not our role to help them.
Old 21-12-2014, 09:37 AM
Passage

I guess the surprising thing is I haven't experienced more of the same. I'd had thought a female Peregrine would have had a reasonable chance against a Buzzard, god help her her brother as he would be finished in seconds.

I doubt there's a single day that I fly when multiple Buzzards cannot be seen flying, if they are cooperating and starting to operate in a manner similar to wild Harris hawks i can only see this getting a whole lot worse.

I understand the "anti-cull" sentiment, but trust me your opinion might change if you had a seasoned hawk finished off or disabled by one. Mine was a 2014 bird but the loss is still acute.

Wonder how anti you would be if you knew 100% that if your hawk or falcon caught something it would be attacked, what would you do - stop flying, keep flying and hope it survived each attack or support a cull?

As Steve alludes to, your perspective might change once you have had some 1st hand experience.

Pete.
Old 21-12-2014, 09:57 AM
Haggard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Smith View Post
I guess the surprising thing is I haven't experienced more of the same. I'd had thought a female Peregrine would have had a reasonable chance against a Buzzard, god help her her brother as he would be finished in seconds.

I doubt there's a single day that I fly when multiple Buzzards cannot be seen flying, if they are cooperating and starting to operate in a manner similar to wild Harris hawks i can only see this getting a whole lot worse.

I understand the "anti-cull" sentiment, but trust me your opinion might change if you had a seasoned hawk finished off or disabled by one. Mine was a 2014 bird but the loss is still acute.

Wonder how anti you would be if you knew 100% that if your hawk or falcon caught something it would be attacked, what would you do - stop flying, keep flying and hope it survived each attack or support a cull?

As Steve alludes to, your perspective might change once you have had some 1st hand experience.

Pete.
With respect Pete, that's the same reasoning a pigeon fancier or chicken farmer might use to justify shooting a falconer's errant peregrine or goshawk.

If we fly in areas with potentially hazardous buzzard populations (as many of us do), and wish to limit that potential, it might be wise to be extra vigilant during times when the ground is frozen and buzzards are at their most desperate?
There may be other practical measures we can take to lessen the threat?

Fingers crossed you'll not experience the same loss ever again.

Best wishes,

Tony.
Old 21-12-2014, 10:01 AM
Gordon Munro
Passage

Sorry to read this but the same happened to me with my female gyr/peregrine,when i found her(just at the bottom of a big field,you are talking 2 or 3 min) 4 buzzards had nailed her,that was just a few seasons ago,so i know what you are saying,up my way there are far two many,just yesterday my falcon had trouble with a pair,but lucky i got her back safe after a few scary moments,falconer or not iv done this sport for over 35 years and i would have a cull,up my way there are far to many,to many infact that other wildlife is suffering,
Old 21-12-2014, 10:08 AM
Midge
Passage

Even tho I love them I hate them too lol they even come into my garden for my small Hawks, gota be 1 step ahead of the blighters,they defo living Upto there name,council estate in liverpool is the place for urban buzzards

Atb
Old 21-12-2014, 10:12 AM
Steve Williams
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony James View Post
With respect Pete, that's the same reasoning a pigeon fancier or chicken farmer might use to justify shooting a falconer's errant peregrine or goshawk.

If we fly in areas with potentially hazardous buzzard populations (as many of us do), and wish to limit that potential, it might be wise to be extra vigilant during times when the ground is frozen and buzzards are at their most desperate?
There may be other practical measures we can take to lessen the threat?

Fingers crossed you'll not experience the same loss ever again.

Best wishes,

Tony.
Hi Tony
i wish your fine falcon no harm,you fly in an area which is just starting to see a real pick up in Buzzard numbers, when you get to count twenty in a single field , like i have you may find their numbers a serious handicap to the welfare of your hawk.
Do you stop flying ,or put your hawk at risk,unless you are going to train a dog to follow the flight ,i cannot see how a hawk can be flown with any degrees of certainty of preventing Buzzard attacks.
Even with my presence i have had Buzzards come in to rob my Falcon.

I am interested to hear if you have any tips on the matter.

Kind regards Steve
Old 21-12-2014, 10:16 AM
Midge
Passage

Also another merlin hawker sadly lost his eyass which took a cracking flight secured his lark quite some distance away time he located the eyass was dead
It's sickening after the work falconers put in. I have always been worried because I only have small Hawks,but hearing of more and more Falcons being killed,I was debateing wether I should give the small Hawks a miss and move them on for the buzzard reason,I guess it's pointless as seems they fancy there chances at most things.

Atb
Old 21-12-2014, 10:28 AM
Passage

Hi Pete,

Sorry, but for a falconer to say cull buzzards to protect falconers birds, that is a recipe for disaster. What makes our hawks more precious than wild ones? none, fact. Yes we spend countless hours training and hunting with them but to want a cull so we can go hunting in peace, that's not going to happen.
We all know, there are so many buzzards around now, they have very little to control them predator wise.
What do you think Joe public would say to our request of a cull so we can go out and hunt with our raptors?
Pete, you are one of many to have a hawk killed, it will continue to happen, I came close, that is one of the reasons along with others I opted to hack my Tiercel, they become more aware to other predators when on the ground. My other two falcons would stand there and fight it out. This Tiercel will leave a kill if need be.
Old 21-12-2014, 10:28 AM
Haggard

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadDog View Post
Hi Tony
i wish your fine falcon no harm,you fly in an area which is just starting to see a real pick up in Buzzard numbers, when you get to count twenty in a single field , like i have you may find their numbers a serious handicap to the welfare of your hawk.
Do you stop flying ,or put your hawk at risk,unless you are going to train a dog to follow the flight ,i cannot see how a hawk can be flown with any degrees of certainty of preventing Buzzard attacks.
Even with my presence i have had Buzzards come in to rob my Falcon.

I am interested to hear if you have any tips on the matter.

Kind regards Steve
Hi Steve,

it's a worry for sure, and to lose a falcon to buzzards would naturally cause a falconer to develop a dislike, even a hatred for them. But we can't, because it impinges on our activities, expect support for a cull.

I spoke with Adam a couple of days ago and commented on the buzzards lining the fence posts as I flew my falcon. Thankfully they showed no interest, but that cannot be taken for granted. As I say, they're a real worry.

Funnily enough, my badly trained pointed has taken to following the flight --- maybe it's a habit with a plus side?

Short of eradicating buzzards where we fly our hawks, it's an ever present, and growing threat, particularly for those flying smaller, far ranging hawks like merlins. But what can we do, other than being as vigilant as possible and following the flight as speedily as possible?

I don't have the answer I'm afraid.

Best wishes,

Tony.