Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > BIRD OF PREY TALK > Longwings - Falco > Gamehawking

Old 20-01-2016, 11:50 AM
Bradley Church
Passage

Default Re: Fall in rabbit numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpster View Post
Brad, now more than ever before-woe betide the novice that sets himself up with a hawk to hunt rabbits before he has gained hunting permission and checked it out. All my local permissions, that I have had great sport on, are now a waste of time- so few rabbits or none at all, and whilst I have been out with hawk and ferrets a couple of times, I certainly wouldn't want to be killing very many rabbits here. in many places in the uk its tough times to be a falconer for lack of quarry-very sad as the humble rabbit was always a sure bet for some exciting sport if respected and flown thus.
Oddly one of many reasons I started flying an eagle was for the sport at hares, as in some places here there are more hares by far than rabbits-ironically the Brown Hare has declined in many places this year too!
That's exactly what I'm talking about Dave, with the Hares decreasing as well, I'm wondering what the novice Falconer will be able to hunt in the way of ground quarry in the future. Of course, that all depends on whether the numbers begin increasing again. Hopefully that will be the case, unlucky for you with the Hares as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perebrine View Post
Could the vast amount of rain we've been having lately, count for the low number of Rabbits? Drowning underground etc.
I really hope that this weather is kind for the Rabbit breeding, then we'll have new Rabbits to replace the one's lost from things like disease etc.

Regards

Bradley
Old 20-01-2016, 06:55 PM
Graeme Neilson
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eluminx View Post
Couldn't agree more with regards to my area. I can go out on farmland for 3-4 hours and maybe, if I'm lucky I will see 1 or 2 rabbits (plenty of pheasants mind ) However there are certain urban areas teeming with rabbits. I'm not sure on the reason behind this, maybe a reduced number of predators or maybe that the populations in these areas are surrounded on all sides by a few miles of tarmac offering some protection from the spread of disease from external populations of bunnies (all speculation of course).

ATB,

Wes
There could be something in what you say about the tarmac restricting movement of rabbits but as for predators there does seem to be plenty of urban foxes about the country.

I started seeing the rabbit numbers on my permission decline about 9/10 years ago. Bits where there were loads are now clear of rabbit which is very depressing. Mixy was always about but the fact there are now no rabbits makes me think it is not mixy. Also I don't think it was flooding. On 1 bit of permission the soil was sandy meaning very good drainage with warrens being over 8 feet deep on top of hills so the water would drain away there is now nothing just dents where the warrens have collapsed due to lack of use. Also on another 2 bits I was the only person hunting on them and I would only take a few each season leaving plenty for breeding.

Changed days
Old 16-02-2016, 07:28 PM
Al
Chick

Rabbits have definitely declined.
Old 16-02-2016, 11:32 PM
Tom
Brancher

Hi there just looking to se if there is many people down my way westsussex flying birds that want to get out before the end of the season I got some good rabbit permission I have just been getting my male Gos on the rabbits the last couple of weeks but to be honest he is still hitting the ass end and getting kicked of but I would like to meet new people to go out flying with so if your interested let me no many thanks Connor
Old 17-02-2016, 09:00 AM
Gary
Brancher

Rabbits have declined on my ground, thanks to the .17 Hmr and night site.
Old 17-02-2016, 11:49 AM
Banned
Chick

Rabbits and Hare plentiful here, I must be in the land of Milk & Honey?
Old 17-02-2016, 09:44 PM
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHawker View Post
Hi there just looking to se if there is many people down my way westsussex flying birds that want to get out before the end of the season I got some good rabbit permission I have just been getting my male Gos on the rabbits the last couple of weeks but to be honest he is still hitting the ass end and getting kicked of but I would like to meet new people to go out flying with so if your interested let me no many thanks Connor
Hi Connor , I'd be interested can you pm me please , I can't pm you.
Old 18-02-2016, 06:49 AM
Banned
Passage

Everytime i fly my hawk the numbers fall
Old 18-02-2016, 08:32 PM
Passage

All depends where you go, plenty of rabbits about,
Old 19-02-2016, 05:44 PM
Dave Windras
Passage

Hi the land i use is low on rabbits at the moment and have just found out that on some of the land ,there is a team of ferrets working with hundreds of nets and 8 or more ferrets at a time, 5 or 6 people working them, not for sport but for profit you can not compete with that and numbers fall fast,that and the weather rain so much that holes flood and rabbits move to dryer ground does not help when rabbits can not go to ground it puts them more at risk to preditors