Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > BIRD OF PREY TALK > Broadwings - Buteo > Harris Hawks

Old 25-07-2016, 07:32 PM
Passage

Default Re: Meet the new girl!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneShac View Post
Friday morning early i took a 2 hour drive to Seville in Spain to collect my new female harris. I had a female reserved from another breeder but it turned out to be a male so had to look for another that met my requirements

She was born on 19th March and spent the last 2 weeks away from her parents due to them double clutching

Caught her from the mews she was in, the breeder had already put her anklets on when he moved her so jesses and hood on and ready to go.

She had zero sense of balance on the glove so we removed the perch from the travel box and let her sit at the bottom on the way home.

When i got home I had some lunch and then pulled her out of the box to start the manning process. At first she was simply falling backwards off the glove and took me many attempts to get her to sit still. Wings spread apart and petrified of me.

After a few hours i started stroking her all over with a feather and she seemed to be ok with that so started using my hands and again no problem but took it very slowly. After a few more hours that evening i put her back in the box until following morning

Next morning took her up to the terrace and sprayed water all over her. She loved it and in no time had closed wing. Manning continued throughout Saturday with some walks up and down the terrace and by that night she was standing on one foot on the glove.

She was last fed Thursday night so tried to get her to eat off the glove. At about 1am she was licking her lips and looking at the food with intent but just at the wrong moment a huge cockroach flew in through the window and put an end to the manning that night

Following morning i weighed her for the first time. No eating for three days and slicing every which way, she weighed in at 940gr with hood on. Happy with that!

What i did notice was her attitude changed. She was perfectly steady on the glove but started bating for no reason. Seems she just wants to fly, not due to fear but she is always looking for higher ground to perch on. She has also screamed at me for trying to get her to turn on the glove and if I look at her for a bit too long she also has a go at me. Mentor says this is normal and that i should just not be intimidated and continue as normal.

Sunday evening prepared a few DOC and sat with her for a while before putting one of them on the glove. she looked at it, looked at me and wolfed it down!

Put another one on there and she ate about 3/4 then started jumping again so wanting to end on a high note i sprayed her some water to drink and hooded her for the evening

This morning she was totally calm for a while staring down at the glove looking for food. Then screamed at me once for stroking her wing. I can touch her feet no problems but wings at the moment are a no go area so have to keep manning. Sprayed her down and left her in the weathering area sunning herself on her bow perch.

Tonight i will try feeding her some quail and start pushing her weight up as much as possible for the next week or so before starting to reduce her very slowly

So far so good

I will keep posting updated and hope to convert this regular ol'harris into a Superior harris
Good set of scales, I would not trust that swivel, I have heard of them breaking
Old 25-07-2016, 09:44 PM
Harold James II
Passage

I to was thinking the same thing about the scales what brand and name are they ? And she's a great looker
Old 25-07-2016, 10:17 PM
Shane
Brancher

Thanks. The swivel is one i use for tuna fishing and we take them over 200kgs. Never seen one break but now you got me worried i will change it

The scales are a standard kitchen digital scales with a mini perch to place over it. Not sure if it can be bought as a friend gave it to me for this season due to him not flying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 26-07-2016, 04:15 PM
Harry McElroy
Brancher

Yes, the swivel concerns me. They can wear and break a friend lost a falcon using one.

Best of luck with the HH. I seem to always have one in my mews.

Harry hawking in the Arizona desert.
Old 26-07-2016, 09:15 PM
Shane
Brancher

Thanks for the concerns. Tomorrow i will get a new one and change it.

Update: this evening after an hour of manning up in my terrace watching the world go by i decided to try and get her to step up to the glove.

Put her on a wooden chair, put the half DOC on my glove and she was on there like a flash

Put her back and again the same

Stretched the rope on my glove as long as i could and tried again. Zero hesitation

She did the same twice more. Then she slowed down and jumped one last time. Got one of the last jumps on video too

Kept her on the glove for another hour as she watched loads of migrating beeeaters flying overhead.

Really pleased with progress. Tomorrow will try a longer creance

Https://vimeo.com/176377419

Old 26-07-2016, 09:38 PM
Passage

Your doing a great job with her, she's looking good. Atb. John
Old 26-07-2016, 10:13 PM
Shane
Brancher

Thanks

Progressing very nicely.

She has now started resenting the hood a bit and does all sorts of matrix moves to avoid it. She is not happy on her bow perch still so need to use the hood at night so she doesn't damage herself bating

Not sure why she bates so much but i am going to try a high screen perch as it seems she is just looking for higher ground

Its only been 4 days so I am sure she will get used to the bow perch in a short while. She is already jumping back up which is a good sign

Lets see how it goes tomorrow
Old 27-07-2016, 06:37 AM
Egg

Great looking Harris. Looks extremely healthy to. I envy you.
Old 27-07-2016, 07:26 AM
Shane
Brancher

Thanks. Weighed her this morning to see the effects of three chicks.

This is with hood on and the weight of the swivel and jesses

I have to say she sliced pure water a few times after i weighed her. Will check again this evening before working with her

Old 27-07-2016, 07:15 PM
Shane
Brancher

960gr this evening with no hood. Prepared a creance to stretch the full terrace about 15m

After some manning and walking up and down the terrace I popped her on the chair and walked back about 10m. Put half DOC on glove and with one head bob she was on her way. Landed quite light and mantled on the glove whilst eating.

Walked her back to the chair. Further back this time and again she flew pretty quick with no mantling this time

Third was full length and she hesitated as a neighbours kid screamed downstairs but then she was off and landed perfectly. Helped her hold on to a piece of chick while she tore into it. No sign of aggression

Last piece she was full so had to walk a bit closer to get her attention.

After this I sprayed her feet and beak and she feaked on the glove.

Sitting outside now enjoying the cool evening