Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > BIRD OF PREY TALK > Broadwings - Buteo > Harris Hawks

Old 28-07-2016, 08:54 AM
Bradley Church
Passage

Default Re: Meet the new girl!

You seem to be progressing really well with her, flying that far is a big milestone and the fact that she's showing natural behaviour (mantling) and not showing any sign of aggression towards you can only be a good thing. Have you come any closer to deciding her name yet?

Regards,

Bradley
Old 28-07-2016, 09:47 AM
Sandeep Shetty
Passage

Thumbs up Re: Meet the new girl!

Looks like the start of a good thread here. Keep the updates and the pics coming.....
Old 28-07-2016, 10:27 AM
Shane
Brancher

Thanks

Brad, the name Sharak is now high on the list of options. This was the name given to the eagle in the 80's movie Beastmaster which was one of my favourites
Old 28-07-2016, 02:26 PM
Passage

Nice name, I like it. John
Old 28-07-2016, 03:45 PM
Bradley Church
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneShac View Post
Thanks

Brad, the name Sharak is now high on the list of options. This was the name given to the eagle in the 80's movie Beastmaster which was one of my favourites
I like that as well, I think that would suit her and it has a personal meaning to you.

Bradley
Old 28-07-2016, 09:23 PM
Shane
Brancher

Took he to the top floor terrace this evening to let her watch the world go by for an hour

Her weight was 955 without a hood which was 10gr lighter than yesterday even after three full DOC the day before

I setup her creance, walked to the other side of the terrace and called. She didnt hesitate and was on me instantly

Put her back and called her with no food. Again she came no questions

Put her back and as i was walking realised she was on her way. Halfway to me a gust of wind pushed her skywards and landed on the support beams. Called her from there and she came down

Took a video of the call after that

Https://vimeo.com/176665991

Sat with her for a while after spraying her beak and feet which she seems to enjoy. One foot up and watching the birds fly above

I had been wanting to change her jesses round since i got her but didnt trust her until today. I fumbled for a while holding both her feet as the jesses were hard to pull out of the anklet eyelets and even harder to push back in. She took it like a champ without a single bad gesture

Put her back on her perch to relax

Tomorrow we are going for a walk in the woods and i have a big fat rat to feed her with on the lure. Hope she flies a long distance and isnt put off by the wide open spaces

So far she is exceeding my expectations and am having to forward think to ensure i dont screw up on any step.

More tomorrow after the walk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 29-07-2016, 01:41 PM
Bradley Church
Passage

This is sounding really good Shane, nice video as well. She seems to be relaxing down and trusting you more by the day. You do realise that she'll expect you to spray her down every day now!

Regards,

Bradley
Old 29-07-2016, 02:08 PM
Shane
Brancher

Thanks Brad

We are lucky here in that we can spray water on our birds year round without the risk of frostbite etc

It does calm them down and I have noticed she moves her lips when she sees the water bottle
Old 29-07-2016, 07:38 PM
Shane
Brancher

Update for today.

Weight 965gr no hood

Planned to go for a walk in the countryside with a friend but i assumed she would take to the travel box quite easily

Then i tried to hood her before going in the box but the hood i have is a bit big for her as she can take it off with a hard shake of her head. And she has learned to do that immediately. So need to get a new one

I had stressed her out a lot and expected her to be unwilling to cooperate so cancelled my walk and took her to the top floor terrace to do a few flights

After sitting with her for a while she seemed calm so on went the creance and called her from
Other end of the terrace. Her response was instant. Repeated this numerous times sometimes with a tidbit sometimes without.

I tried to get her to fly back to the chair a few times but she hang on to the glove so had to walk her back.

I think i can work with her for a bit at this weight

Tomorrow some lure work in the front yard to change her settings a bit

Started off with a slight hiccup but ended well all in all

Old 31-07-2016, 07:38 PM
Shane
Brancher

Yesterday weight 967.

Had a big fat rat ready for her but thought it would be too big so cut it in half and chopped a few tidbits and left a very large piece. The idea was to toss this when she was not looking and guage her response off the fist

Her recall to the glove was instant. In fact first time i placed her on the perch to call she started flying as i was walking off with no food on the glove.

Called her a few times and then flicked the large chunk sort of underhand when she was on the glove looking skywards. She went for it instantly grabbed it whilst it was still sliding across the floor about 20m away.

I walked up to her and apart from the mantling she wasnt too bothered. Tried to hide under a chair but that's normal. Touched her wings and put glove in and there were no bad reactions. When she had eaten a load i had the head ready to try an exchange. She mounted the glove like a boss but then last moment she grabbed the piece on the floor and pulled it up on the glove too. I let her continue eating and committed my novice mistake. She dropped a piece on the floor. I picked it up and went to place it on the glove so she could carry on eating without securing her jesses. She footed my hand trying to get the piece of food and ripped my finger open. Ouch!!!

Worried she would mistake my blood for food i let her finish off the piece. Sprayed her down and back on the bow perch for the evening