Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > BIRD OF PREY TALK > Longwings - Falco > Gamehawking

Old 06-10-2016, 10:20 AM
Gerry Plant
Passage

Default KWF 2016

'Pepsi' - Max!

Thursday, 6th October 2016 at 07:15hrs – Dry, Clear Skies, 47F, 3mph E – 29żoz

Hi Folks - today was the first ever duck-hawking flight for my young falcon, 'Pepsi' and she aquitted herself very well after I spotted a quartet of mallards on a small roadside pond - the scene of my last duck kill with 'Milli' on New Years Day. She wasted no time in leaving my fist and I began the short walk-in of only 200yds as she mounted quickly overhead. As I approached the pond she was a little too wide so I gloved her in a little bit before going for a soft flush when she was headed back still climbing. A drake went first followed by the other three as the peregrine stooped from 516ft after a short delay. Unfortunately that hesitation was to cost her as the ducks just beat her to the next water 200yds away. Pepsi re-mounted to 460ft but I decided against the re-flush as the flight would go off my ground and called her down for a duck carcass.

Gerry x

Http://www.staffordshiregamehawks.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IFF Pix - 6.10.16.jpg (97.0 KB, 597 views)

Last edited by SugezWolf; 11-11-2016 at 09:54 PM. Reason: typo
Old 06-10-2016, 10:32 AM
Michael Calvin
Haggard

Default Re: KWF 2016

That is a blinding start Gerry, if you have to you should drive a thousand miles to find a perfect set-up for her next time out and make sure the weather, the wind, everything is in her favour. If that's her very first time she's gonna be a star!
Old 06-10-2016, 11:02 AM
Gerry Plant
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomOlivia View Post
That is a blinding start Gerry, if you have to you should drive a thousand miles to find a perfect set-up for her next time out and make sure the weather, the wind, everything is in her favour. If that's her very first time she's gonna be a star!
Hi Michael - it was a virtually identical flight to one I had with 'Marnie' her half-sister in 2010 - same pond, same pitch only I went for the reflush last time!
I wish I had nothing else to worry about mate - get reigned in by job & grandsons!

Gerry x

Last edited by SugezWolf; 11-11-2016 at 09:54 PM.
Old 06-10-2016, 12:31 PM
Brancher

Excellent Gerry - very well done indeed. Am really looking forwards to seeing her on Saturday. Given you are having the first flight there are some perfect ponds for you that hopefully will get her entered. Nike is chasing Ducks hard and at a good weight ( just short of 1lb 14oz) but given the setbacks I had I am not at the stage of getting any great pitch yet - but am confident it will come ! Look forwards to catching up with you on Saturday. cheers
Old 06-10-2016, 02:16 PM
Bernie
Passage

That's brilliant Gerry - sounds like she will be off the mark in no time mate

atb
Bernie
Old 06-10-2016, 04:17 PM
Bradley Church
Passage

It's great to see you starting another diary Gerry and what a first flight on Duck for the young Falcon to have! I hope that you'll continue to update this, I can imagine that it won't be too long before she gets her first Duck!

Kind Regards,

Bradley
Old 06-10-2016, 04:54 PM
Nick Curry
Passage

Good stuff Gerry,

Is she the dark one nearest the camera in the pen?

Nick
Old 07-10-2016, 12:18 AM
Gerry Plant
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Newton View Post
Excellent Gerry - very well done indeed. Am really looking forwards to seeing her on Saturday. Given you are having the first flight there are some perfect ponds for you that hopefully will get her entered. Nike is chasing Ducks hard and at a good weight ( just short of 1lb 14oz) but given the setbacks I had I am not at the stage of getting any great pitch yet - but am confident it will come ! Look forwards to catching up with you on Saturday. cheers
Thanks Richard - I had a look at Google Earth for the venue and it appears that the ponds might be quite open compared to my ground so that would be ideal. Glad that Nike is over her illness and it seems that she is a very good size after all. See you tomorrow mate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B C View Post
That's brilliant Gerry - sounds like she will be off the mark in no time mate

Atb
Bernie
Cheers Bernie - I always had high hopes for her given her father's genetic input but when I put her on the kite she sort of confirmed things a little in that direction by being the fastest climbing peregrine I have seen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradazTheFalconer View Post
It's great to see you starting another diary Gerry and what a first flight on Duck for the young Falcon to have! I hope that you'll continue to update this, I can imagine that it won't be too long before she gets her first Duck!

Kind Regards,

Bradley
Thanks Brad - I haven't had the time to come on here very often but I felt I should share that flight from a promising youngster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakDaggerTiercel View Post
Good stuff Gerry,

Is she the dark one nearest the camera in the pen?

Nick
Thank you Nick - yes, the pale falcon behind is 'Lali' the daughter of the Southern Spanish Brookei I imported and flew for two seasons and the little tiercel at the back is 'Aragon', Bubble's grandson and destined to be Pepsi's beau!

Gerry xx

Old 07-10-2016, 12:34 AM
Haggard

A good start have a great season and I look forward to the updates mate
Old 07-10-2016, 12:37 AM
Gerry Plant
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Bannister View Post
A good start have a great season and I look forward to the updates mate
Ta Shaun - going to have my hands full with these three but I will try to be timely with my input throughout the season.

Gerry x