Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > BIRD OF PREY TALK > Broadwings - Buteo > Harris Hawks

Old 03-11-2016, 07:09 PM
Egg

Default Help harris hawk

I'm after some advice
On my 3 year old female harris, had her for a month done all the manning creance and out flying, even Benn out hunting but didn't see anything,
My point is she's has turned on me, gone really aggressive towards me! she has gone from doing that purring to screaming and fluffing up and waiting for me to go in so she can have me.
Witch she has ones, she waits till I go in offer her the glove she jumps up and grabs my arm that's not covered with leather, (bitch). She is now weighing in now at 2lb 5 /6 hunting weight is 2lb2 I put her weight up as I thought this might help, she's gone wild and crazy with me,
Any help on this would be well appreciated .
Old 03-11-2016, 08:13 PM
Tod
Passage

Default Re: Help harris hawk

Forgive me if you know already,but are you holding your glove higher than your forearm,I would have her on the bowperch,walk in gently and offer a titbit.
Do not have a large meal in the glove,also dont let her decide she is going back to perch,take her back above the bow and lower her till she steps up to the perch.
Free lofting has obviously,made her a bit full of herself,take control and do not reward any messing about,
Tod..
Old 03-11-2016, 08:49 PM
Egg

Hi tod
My glove is level with my forearm I've never had to hold my glove higher in the month I've had her she's been great. Up till last Saturday, and yes since Saturday I've had her on the bowperch,I do walk in gently and offer my glove, she just fluffs up head down and waits, since she had my forearm she got me nervous, don't want them talents in me again it's not nice at all. Only way to get her now is to offer food to her at a distance so she don't grad me again, and I don't let her go back to the perch, and she don't mind sitting on the glove eating ones she has finished eating on the glove she just fluffs up again. Yes she was Free lofted I had to tethere her to the bowperch as I couldn't get in the shed with out her going for my face. I'm trying to take control but she's not having any of it! I now feel like I want a full body armour to walk in to get her, lol
Old 03-11-2016, 08:58 PM
Haggard

And she knows your scared as well ,she needs to be on weight and hunting this behaviour is born of frustration and weight
Old 03-11-2016, 09:01 PM
Passage

Whatever possessed you to get a 3 year old for your first BOP, anyway you did so that's now by the way, you have been given some good and correct advice from Tod, and as Shaun as already stated on Daveys thread, the first thing you need to do is get her back down to hunting weight and get her out hunting, but be sure you know her right weights, have you got a mentor or are there any other falconers in your area that could maybe help you out a bit, are there any local clubs you could join and get help that way.
You should really have done all this first. My guess is she's got frustrated cos your not getting any quarry up for her, and banging her weight back up has just made matters worse. Take the advice given and see how she goes. Atb. John

Sorry Shaun, you just beet me to that lol
Old 03-11-2016, 09:40 PM
Egg

Yes John I have a mentor, and he has said the same as whats been said on here. I just needed a second opinion, I thank you all for your opinion it's why I come on here. For good advice.
Okay, so if I dropweight she should come round is what your saying yes,
I want her purring again so I know she comfortable witch will make me comfortable.!
Old 03-11-2016, 10:16 PM
Passage

Hi I would say if you have a mentor only listen to them you need to trust the advice and guidance they are giving you. If someone had said something different to him and you told him you could lose face to face guidance and support which is always better than stuff off an internet forum as they can see you and the bird and have a much better understanding of your relationship with the bird as a result.

Just my opinion though.
Old 03-11-2016, 10:25 PM
Passage

If you have a mentor, why did you take the birds weight up, surely your mentor didn't advise you to do that, if he did then you need a new mentor. John
Old 03-11-2016, 10:26 PM
Egg

I can see what your saying,
And he's a friend as well as a mentor.
I just needed a second opinion.
Old 04-11-2016, 01:08 AM
Passage

The above advice is all good, lots of people think aggressive behaviour is down to low weight and put the weight up, this is a mistake. Get her on weight and focused, try not to feed her around the mews and give her plenty of opportunity to catch her own meals to condition her into thinking you are only there to help her catch her own food. She may also be a bit hormonal, my fat female Gos Hawks are a bit aggressive at the moment. If you have a good mentor who flys there Hawks successfully listen to them, you won't live long enough to make all the mistakes yourself. Good luck Chris