Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > BIRD OF PREY TALK > Broadwings - Buteo > Harris Hawks

Old 05-03-2017, 07:21 PM
Egg

Default Re: Artimis entered

Thanks for the interesting comments the kill wasn't intended it was pure chance as regarding game season which iam fully aware of as I shoot on a game shoot can the same be said about keepers who invite falconers on at the end of the season to think the cock birds out just a thought

Hi matey bird it was pure luck it lifted right below her whilst she was cast up in a tree while we were making our way through to the intended fields we were going to hunt rabbit on thanks again
Old 05-03-2017, 07:55 PM
Egg

She chased hard into some trees and nailed it but it wasn't untill I got there I realised it was a woodcock thanks again
Old 05-03-2017, 11:03 PM
Stewart Robertson
Haggard

"Hi matey bird it was pure luck it lifted right below her whilst she was cast up in a tree while we were making our way through to the intended fields we were going to hunt rabbit on thanks again"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverpigeon View Post
She chased hard into some trees and nailed it but it wasn't untill I got there I realised it was a woodcock thanks again
So what was it, a mugging or a hard chase ? Either way, as you know the law regarding game season, it's not something to broadcast. You could have described it as something else,
Old 06-03-2017, 05:16 AM
Egg

She dropped from were I cast her up and gave chase could not see very clearly untill I managed to get to her point taking though on description I was just so pleased she had nailed something at last as I said it wasn't intended
Old 06-03-2017, 06:52 AM
Steve Vaughan
Haggard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty Bird View Post
A woodcock? Even the fittest goshawks struggle to catch woodcock let alone a Harris. Well done any pictures of the kill? Could you describe the flight?
Hi Matty,

I caught 9 woodcock in 5 seasons with a male Harris but had the perfect set up, 50 to 60 foot scots pines overlooking Bracken using a pointing Dog, Harris would take them on the rise or within the first 20 to 30 metres great to watch. I have only ever caught 2 with male Goshawks but that was from the fist with no height advantage. There is also a chap on NAFEX who flies Woodcock exclusively with a Male Harris with good success.
Old 06-03-2017, 09:09 AM
Brancher

I had lots of similar set-ups with my male Harris, dozens of near misses, but no cigar! Haha....
Only managed one mugging with a male gos. I once flushed one that my gos ignored & as I watched it zig-zag through the trees, a spar took it instead!

.....all in season of course
Old 06-03-2017, 09:34 AM
Matthew
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcore Hawker View Post
Hi Matty,

I caught 9 woodcock in 5 seasons with a male Harris but had the perfect set up, 50 to 60 foot scots pines overlooking Bracken using a pointing Dog, Harris would take them on the rise or within the first 20 to 30 metres great to watch. I have only ever caught 2 with male Goshawks but that was from the fist with no height advantage. There is also a chap on NAFEX who flies Woodcock exclusively with a Male Harris with good success.
You know what mate I used to love harris's, I got my first when I was 15 with ú800 that I saved up by doing odd jobs. I got it out of a paper called the loot. Every week before school I would go the local shop with exitment to see what birds were advertised. As the Harris has become more common and very popular with beginners I have gone off them. I don't want other falconers looking at me thinking there goes a newbie with his Harris. Saying that these days goshawks are being bred like rabbits! Most people don't realise the harris's full potential.
Old 06-03-2017, 09:59 AM
Steve Vaughan
Haggard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty Bird View Post
You know what mate I used to love harris's, I got my first when I was 15 with ú800 that I saved up by doing odd jobs. I got it out of a paper called the loot. Every week before school I would go the local shop with exitment to see what birds were advertised. As the Harris has become more common and very popular with beginners I have gone off them. I don't want other falconers looking at me thinking there goes a newbie with his Harris. Saying that these days goshawks are being bred like rabbits! Most people don't realise the harris's full potential.
Matty,

Your Falconry should only have to please you not others! If you enjoy the Harris then Fly one, I have flown Goshawks for 16 years now but would fly another Harris in a heart beat if my circumstances were to change they are truly fantastic birds.
Old 06-03-2017, 05:42 PM
Club Representative
Passage

Its an incidental result of an otherwise lawful activity ... the falconer did not set out to catch game out of season and once on the wing the control of the bird in relation to what it catches cannot be 100% controlled.

Graham
Old 06-03-2017, 08:10 PM
Stewart Robertson
Haggard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Irving View Post
Its an incidental result of an otherwise lawful activity ... the falconer did not set out to catch game out of season and once on the wing the control of the bird in relation to what it catches cannot be 100% controlled.

Graham
I'm well aware of the free will of a hawk while off the fist Graham. However, if you read the initial post it certainly gives the impression of a deliberate flight. In saying that, whatever the case, whether deliberate or otherwise, it is not a wise thing to post such an incident on social media. As we keep saying, these pages are monitored by those who may have issues with hunting and falconry, and the last thing we must do is provide evidence of wrong doing. In your position I would have thought you would concur. Just my humble opinion.