Falconry Forum (IFF)


Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > BIRD OF PREY TALK > Longwings - Falco > Gamehawking

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 20-08-2017, 10:17 PM
Tony James's Avatar
Tony James Tony James is offline
Haggard
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Suffolk
Posts: 8,425
Default Re: Marshall Back Pack Copy On Ebay

Quote:
Originally Posted by T0M View Post
Hi Tony
Come on don't you take the Mick😂 So the reason being if you pull teflon through your fingers it won't generate heat and burn you? If that's the case then yes that's good reason if it was to be pulled at speed enough distance to generate heat. Once it's on the bird it is very unlikely that it will pull against anything long enough to cause a burn. Also I'm thinking along the lines of material ribbon stitched in clothing not nylon string. That has never burnt anybody. If you're going down that route you could say that when a bird lands on a perch then that could burn. Astro turf burns if you slide on that long enough.

The link Keith added takes you to a site that sells a product which is a copy of the Marshall back pack at £5 or thereabouts cheaper, is it them you refer to as Mick takers?
I may have overlooked something but the difference between the ribbon kit and the full back pack is £12.55 and the only thing I believe is different is the plastic back mount. Do you honestly believe the price is reasonable for a bit of plastic?
You can get a four Pinter of milk for £1.50 and the bottle top contains more plastic and you throw it away 😜

Regards
Tom
Hi Tom,

read Gull Whacker's comment on this thread, and ask yourself how much value there is in saving a few pounds?

Best wishes,

Tony.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 20-08-2017, 10:40 PM
T0M T0M is offline
Banned
Passage
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: North west
Posts: 1,025
Default Re: Marshall Back Pack Copy On Ebay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony James View Post
Hi Tom,

read Gull Whacker's comment on this thread, and ask yourself how much value there is in saving a few pounds?

Best wishes,

Tony.
Hi Tony
I get what you are saying and if there is a difference between the two then yes a few pounds is fair enough. £30 for the Marshall one is going to take some convincing. I actually bought the cheaper ones off Ian Garland and had no problem. The plastic has been chewed but is still in tact and I don't think the Marshall one would be in any better condition if had used them and they'd had the same treatment. Yes I agree there could be a big difference with the ribbon and that's why I asked as I don't know the reasoning behind it. That being said for them to charge an extra £12.55 for the plastic piece then I'm not convinced.

Atb
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gull Whacker View Post
You can buy re use kits from Marshalls, you don't need to buy the full kit. The eBay stuff, particularly the plates, are rubbish. I've replaced several that have failed in use for other Falconers. There's a reason they are £8. Hope this helps
Hi Brian
Can you tell me how the plates failed, I've got some that I'm planning on using again as they seem fine. What is it I should be looking out for?

Thanks
To
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 20-08-2017, 11:23 PM
Gull Whacker Gull Whacker is online now
Brancher
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: South Coast
Posts: 113
Default Re: Marshall Back Pack Copy On Ebay

The material used in the copies is not Delrin, they're made out of a much softer plastic similar to polythene. The loops break and the receptacle can deform.

If you can easily bend the bargain backpack you've bought off eBay, you've been had. I suppose it's all about the definition of a "bargain" really. As for the teflon, even if you buy it in bulk, it's expensive.

Regards
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 21-08-2017, 01:58 AM
T0M T0M is offline
Banned
Passage
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: North west
Posts: 1,025
Default Re: Marshall Back Pack Copy On Ebay

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugezWolf View Post
Hi Tom - you clearly have no experience of using backpacks on hawks. Falcons in particular will pull and fiddle with the ribbon and if you used anything other than teflon (laid flat with no kinks or creases) then your hawk would soon require an expensive visit to the vet. Hope this helps in your decision-making process!

Gerry x
Hi Gerry
Admittedly I have little experience with them but I have used two on hawks and one on a falcon and not had any problems. That's why I'm asking the questions. If you don't ask you don't get to know 😜

Atb
Tom

Ps have you had any problems with back packs?
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 21-08-2017, 11:47 PM
SugezWolf's Avatar
SugezWolf SugezWolf is offline
Gerry Plant
Passage
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Staffordshire
Posts: 4,899
Default Re: Marshall Back Pack Copy On Ebay

Quote:
Originally Posted by T0M View Post
Hi Gerry
Admittedly I have little experience with them but I have used two on hawks and one on a falcon and not had any problems. That's why I'm asking the questions. If you don't ask you don't get to know ��

Atb
Tom

Ps have you had any problems with back packs?
Very true Tom. I was using backpacks before Marshall became involved when Darren Chilton introduced me to them and fitted them to two of my hawks. My old tiercel (16 years now) wore one of Darren's design for 7 straight seasons including 3 seasons breeding successfully. All of my tiercels wore them without touching them apart from preening in the ribbon when first fitted but all of the falcons liked to pull at the ribbon which would cause chafing were it not for the almost frictionless teflon. I no longer use backpacks due to an incident involving my tiercel 'Aero' in the 2010/11 season.

Gerry x
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 15.12.10 - Aero on Drake Showing Injuries.jpg (103.1 KB, 66 views)
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 22-08-2017, 04:58 AM
PaulUsHilarius PaulUsHilarius is offline
Paul MacDermot
Passage
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: wiltshire
Posts: 698
Default Re: Marshall Back Pack Copy On Ebay

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugezWolf View Post
I no longer use backpacks due to an incident involving my tiercel 'Aero' in the 2010/11 season.

Gerry x
Hi Gerry,

What happened?
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 22-08-2017, 09:58 AM
T0M T0M is offline
Banned
Passage
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: North west
Posts: 1,025
Default Re: Marshall Back Pack Copy On Ebay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gull Whacker View Post
The material used in the copies is not Delrin, they're made out of a much softer plastic similar to polythene. The loops break and the receptacle can deform.

If you can easily bend the bargain backpack you've bought off eBay, you've been had. I suppose it's all about the definition of a "bargain" really. As for the teflon, even if you buy it in bulk, it's expensive.

Regards
Sorry I had overlooked this post. Thanks for the info.

I thought Ian Garland was a reputable name in falconry. His are less than half the price of the Marshall. Are they not fit for purpose? So the Marshall one is made from a stiff plastic? Usually a characteristic of stiff plastic is that they are brittle. Is there a reason it needs to be stiff? What is the problem if it will bend? I can understand the importance of the loops not breaking and of course that is a major factor. Was it in any particular situation when yours broke? I've only used three for the one season but they were fine apart from where nibbled and I only removed them to give the birds a break through the moult. I was planning on getting new ribbon and using again😬
Atb
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugezWolf View Post
Very true Tom. I was using backpacks before Marshall became involved when Darren Chilton introduced me to them and fitted them to two of my hawks. My old tiercel (16 years now) wore one of Darren's design for 7 straight seasons including 3 seasons breeding successfully. All of my tiercels wore them without touching them apart from preening in the ribbon when first fitted but all of the falcons liked to pull at the ribbon which would cause chafing were it not for the almost frictionless teflon. I no longer use backpacks due to an incident involving my tiercel 'Aero' in the 2010/11 season.

Gerry x
Hi Gerry
Yes looks bad what happened? The thing is when we attach things to our birds we run the risk of all kinds of accidents but things happen. Would be interesting to know if anyone else has had accidents with back packs and how common is it.
Atb
Tom
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 22-08-2017, 12:51 PM
Keith Barker's Avatar
Keith Barker Keith Barker is offline
Haggard
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: 10 Rillington place
Posts: 5,284
Default Re: Marshall Back Pack Copy On Ebay

Last season on the 9th of december i was hawking with my Female goshawk "Clodagh" she was about as fit as she was going to get high in condition and confidence was high being in her third season, i slipped her at a wild cock pheasant flushed from bird cover in the parish of Knockanore Co.Waterford, as usual she took the slip with great determination flying low and direct tracking the pheasant from below as he rocketed high to make cover three fields away.
She was backpacked with a marshall trackpack and powermax and had been since she was post penned, she also had a marshall scout on one of her deck feathers with the brass crimp and a tail bell on the opposing deck feather.
On the trackdown i got a strong signal on a fence line quite a distance from the cover, here i found the powermax smashed into two pieces in the grass, no problem i thought ill switch to the scout that i use for backup, this was also in the immediate vacinity still attached to the brass crimp that had slid down the feather shaft on impact without pulling the feather, also the opposing deck feather complete with tail bell had been taken clean out.
No telemetry, no bell and no hawk to be found for quite a while it was a scary scene to find myself in.
When i did eventually pick her up she was not injured like Gerry hawk but the plastic plate was broken in two in the centre of the plate.
No matter what you put on your hawk be it bell telemetry or any other type of furniture accidents will happen, weather you get it all in one slip like me would be very difficult.
My new female a daughter to the above has one fitted already, i think they are a great piece of equipment.
Keith
__________________
State registered Goshawker
barkerskid@eircom.net
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 22-08-2017, 02:31 PM
Gull Whacker Gull Whacker is online now
Brancher
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: South Coast
Posts: 113
Default Re: Marshall Back Pack Copy On Ebay

Just to be clear, I have no idea who makes or sells the poor quality copies I have removed and replaced for friends and club members. Fake versions of just about anything seem to originate from Asia and China. When I have enquired of the user where they got these items, I was told "I got it of the internet".
Given that I have had the same backpack fitted to several of my birds for 7 years now, cost per annum is running at about £3.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 22-08-2017, 03:15 PM
T0M T0M is offline
Banned
Passage
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: North west
Posts: 1,025
Default Re: Marshall Back Pack Copy On Ebay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Barker View Post
Last season on the 9th of december i was hawking with my Female goshawk "Clodagh" she was about as fit as she was going to get high in condition and confidence was high being in her third season, i slipped her at a wild cock pheasant flushed from bird cover in the parish of Knockanore Co.Waterford, as usual she took the slip with great determination flying low and direct tracking the pheasant from below as he rocketed high to make cover three fields away.
She was backpacked with a marshall trackpack and powermax and had been since she was post penned, she also had a marshall scout on one of her deck feathers with the brass crimp and a tail bell on the opposing deck feather.
On the trackdown i got a strong signal on a fence line quite a distance from the cover, here i found the powermax smashed into two pieces in the grass, no problem i thought ill switch to the scout that i use for backup, this was also in the immediate vacinity still attached to the brass crimp that had slid down the feather shaft on impact without pulling the feather, also the opposing deck feather complete with tail bell had been taken clean out.
No telemetry, no bell and no hawk to be found for quite a while it was a scary scene to find myself in.
When i did eventually pick her up she was not injured like Gerry hawk but the plastic plate was broken in two in the centre of the plate.
No matter what you put on your hawk be it bell telemetry or any other type of furniture accidents will happen, weather you get it all in one slip like me would be very difficult.
My new female a daughter to the above has one fitted already, i think they are a great piece of equipment.
Keith
Keith you really painted a picture there. I could even feel the sun on my back😂
Do you think if it had of been an Ian Garland track pack the result would have been any different?
Apart from the possibility of them getting snagged have you experienced any ill affects from using a track pack?
Atb
Tom
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
back, copy, ebay, marshall, pack

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.