Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > BIRD OF PREY TALK > Broadwings - Buteo > Harris Hawks

Old 30-04-2008, 11:23 AM
Graham Smith
Brancher

Default Harris Body Language

Can you all tell me a bit about the boby language of
A Harris and the sounds thay make it would be good
To compear
Old 30-04-2008, 12:29 PM
Johnny Abbott
Passage

Default Re: Harris Body Language

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestBook View Post
A Harris and the sounds thay make it would be good
to compear
Well they have the nick name called the mexican crow so the sound they make isnt hard to work out
Old 30-04-2008, 12:33 PM
Brancher

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestBook View Post
a Harris and the sounds thay make it would be good
to compear

Yeh

When a FHH puts her head down, wings out and runs accross her perch doing a crow impression! It means get out of my Mew's or you are going to have it Bless Her
Old 30-04-2008, 12:52 PM
Keith
Brancher

The Crow sound already mentioned is typical of Harris when not happy, although they make lots of others. They can chitter/squeek when being submissive or asking for food, one of my girls is a full imprint and she will make a low grrr under her breath as a greeting when i enter her mews.
Old 30-04-2008, 01:30 PM
Suzie Hill
Brancher

My FHH makes the crow sound - the louder it gets the more feisty she's feeling - also lots of little growls - the length seems to signify how she's feeling. If it is a short quiet growl, almost a grunt, she's feeling happy, but if it's long and loud - she's not!

She also makes chirrups and squeeks. If she wants me to beat in a particular place she'll call me with a crow like sound.

Body language - yup as soon as the head goes down and she holds a stare - she's about to give me a mouthful. She's good at turning her back on you as well!

My favourite one is when she's in a tree and getting frustrated and I can't get there quick enough for a flush (in her opinion, my excuse is me wellies) - she literally jumps up and down.
Atb Baywing
Old 30-04-2008, 01:41 PM
Nigel
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylie View Post
well they have the nick name called the mexican crow so the sound they make isnt hard to work out
Castonets?
Old 30-04-2008, 01:53 PM
Passage

I mention this before. My last two males used to call with exciting , high pitch call when rabbit was under in a brush pile. Threatening females show their size broadside.
Old 30-04-2008, 02:44 PM
Passage

They also, at least the males anyway, make a call quite similar to an irrate goshawk...a rapidly repeating 'huc,huc,huc,huc,huc.....'. In "Harrisese" this is the 'come here' call that they sometimes use (if an imprinted male) to call you to the mew because they are lusting, or, if in the field the male will use it when he has quarry pinned in a bush and wants to rally the troops to his position so that he can flush it out for the group to catch when it is unlikely he would be able to score it himself due to the cover that it is in. It is often used when he has seen a quail sneak into bush that others of the group probably haven't noticed. He will fly down, point at the bush by 'freezing' with his head low and if the other members haven't noticed his posture then he will use the call which brings the others quickly. It may be handy to imitate this call when you know a flush is eminent but your bird is looking or being someplace else. Sort of like 'shush'ing an accipiter to alert them to an impeding flush.
Old 30-04-2008, 02:57 PM
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete J. View Post
They also, at least the males anyway, make a call quite similar to an irrate goshawk...a rapidly repeating 'huc,huc,huc,huc,huc.....'. In "Harrisese" this is the 'come here' call that they sometimes use (if an imprinted male) to call you to the mew because they are lusting, or, if in the field the male will use it when he has quarry pinned in a bush and wants to rally the troops to his position so that he can flush it out for the group to catch when it is unlikely he would be able to score it himself due to the cover that it is in. It is often used when he has seen a quail sneak into bush that others of the group probably haven't noticed. He will fly down, point at the bush by 'freezing' with his head low and if the other members haven't noticed his posture then he will use the call which brings the others quickly. It may be handy to imitate this call when you know a flush is eminent but your bird is looking or being someplace else. Sort of like 'shush'ing an accipiter to alert them to an impeding flush.
That's interesting. Mines a PR bird so apart from the odd chirrup is fairly quiet. However if she spots something in cover she will 'mark' it until it flushes or I come to flush it. And i've noticed that if she fails to come to the lure because she thinks she has spotted something. If I wait until she loses interest in what she has been looking at she will invariably rouse, and following this will come straight to the lure.

Jan
Old 30-04-2008, 05:30 PM
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yatesy View Post
Yeh

When a FHH puts her head down, wings out and runs accross her perch doing a crow impression! It means get out of my Mew's or you are going to have it Bless Her
pmsl your excactly right especialy when in moult

allso when at flying weight she,ll grunt when approached grunt back and she,ll do it even more my mrs thinks ive lost it.

6.30am yesterday morning she was sat at the front of the mews on one foot with her head going side to side and allover the place i went up to her face to face and did the same back she carried on doing so did i this carried on for 30 secs or so, then she let rip an almighty scream straight in my face i ****in shat myself lol.