Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > BIRD OF PREY TALK > Broadwings - Buteo > Harris Hawks

Old 27-10-2010, 02:59 PM
Dave
Haggard

Default Understanding Harris Hawk language.

I am flying a second season imprint male Harris at Pheasants. He is totally silent. He is doing very well and catching on average one a day. I have noticed this season, when he has a bird located in thick cover, and if the dog and I am any distance away he calls, a deep growling call unlike any other call a Harris makes. He stops it when I or the dog arrive to flush for him. He is calling us to help him and telling us he has a Pheasant pinned down, i am 100% sure of it. When i hear the sound, i know there is a pheasant under him in the thick cover.

Has anyone else known of this? is it just because he is an imprint i wonder. I have had many winters hunting with many Harris's but never had this before. Atb
Old 27-10-2010, 03:18 PM
Passage

Default Re: Understanding Harris Hawk language.

My old parent reared female did the same thing on rabbits in thick bramble. She would also bounce up and down on the top ,to try to flush them.

Last edited by Whistler6752; 27-10-2010 at 03:20 PM. Reason: addition.
Old 27-10-2010, 03:23 PM
Andy
Haggard

My male even tho not a a imprint grunts bit like a snowy at quarry, i thought i was imagining it.
Old 27-10-2010, 03:23 PM
Eddie Thorn
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Rampling View Post
when he has a bird located in thick cover, and if the dog and I am any distance away he calls, a deep growling call unlike any other call a Harris makes. He stops it when I or the dog arrive to flush for him. He is calling us to help him and telling us he has a Pheasant pinned down, i am 100% sure of it. When i hear the sound, i know there is a pheasant under him in the thick cover.

Has anyone else known of this? is it just because he is an imprint i wonder. I have had many winters hunting with many Harris's but never had this before. Atb
I know exactly the sound that you are talking about having experienced it with a parent reared harris that was taken at 26 weeks, so no imprinting there at all, but a close hunting partnership.

Good to hear about someone trying an imprint harris that is silent, shows what can be done by someone that knows what they are doing.
Old 27-10-2010, 04:40 PM
Chris Gardner
Passage

My cast of male HH did the same they certainly had a call for quarry in cover they wanted flushed, but theirs was a much higher pitched call, but it may be language related, and a call they would learn from parents etc in the wild, so will vary in birds not taught to hunt by their parents, with ine they both had he same quarry call, different form any other call.
Chris
Old 27-10-2010, 04:44 PM
Dave
Haggard

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabbitHawker View Post
My cast of male HH did the same they certainly had a call for quarry in cover they wanted flushed, but theirs was a much higher pitched call, but it may be language related, and a call they would learn from parents etc in the wild, so will vary in birds not taught to hunt by their parents, with ine they both had he same quarry call, different form any other call.
Chris
Fascinating, its not just mine then. Appears many do it. He was imprinted from ten days and of course had no parents to learn it from.

Last edited by Eagle Owl; 27-10-2010 at 06:14 PM. Reason: Removed deleted quote and response
Old 27-10-2010, 04:50 PM
David Goodwin
Haggard

Funny you should say this David but my mhh does this only with pheasants in cover or a moorhen in reeds lol totaly silent if a rabbit sits in cover ?? but always calls if a pheasant is under a bramble patch lol i dont mind this as its like ohhh a pheasants in there
Old 27-10-2010, 05:26 PM
Kurt Dolphin
Passage

Hi m8 mine be doing that for years calling me over to help her and there is all ways somethink there for her. and when u get there dose its wiggle its tail at u mine dose and then bingo a kill
Old 27-10-2010, 05:39 PM
Brancher

A few years ago i was out with my mate his bird flew down through a small wood, looking like she was hunting something we carried on working the dogs walking towards were she went, thinking she had not caught anything and she would come back into the trees abough us. then all of asudden there was aloud chatering and sqwacking noise so we rushed down through the wood where she was, and she was sat in a tree looking down so we sent the dogs into the cover and out came a rabbit.ps the bird was outof sight at the time she made this noise.
Old 27-10-2010, 05:47 PM
Marc
Passage

I find its more due to frustration than actual communication of sorts to other members of the team,
But other HH's will learn what it means just the same as they will follow the sounds of bells on the off chance someone else has spotted something