Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > BIRD OF PREY TALK > Shortwings - Accipiter

Old 02-02-2016, 05:28 PM
Alex Brown
Haggard

Default Ivan the Gos (p/r 2014 bred)

After putting Bob away to moult I was pretty much marking time till the end of the summer but then a plea from a mate who just didnt have the time to fly his male Gos I caved in and collected him. He's a very nice sized male bred by Don Mosely, and manners second to none.

Been hunting him more off than on due to the weather, thankfully there was decent weather today but very windy but off we went.

Ended up with a couple of decent flight the second on a buck rabbit sat well out in a field when Bomber went on point I finally spotted it and thought it was a young hare sat in its seat but when it flushed was a pleasant surprise as a rabbit. It led the gos on a merry dance before he finally stopped it, the latter part of the flight it came straight at me and by the time I spun round he had it under contriol.

1lb 12 3/4oz.

On the way home I lost count of the amount of cock pheasants out feeding in the fields, how the hell do they know the date!

All these pics are from the rabbit he caught.

DSC_0515.jpg

DSC_0516.jpg

DSC_0517.jpg

DSC_0518.jpg

DSC_0519.jpg

DSC_0520.jpg

DSC_0522.jpg

DSC_0523.jpg
Old 02-02-2016, 05:30 PM
Banned
Passage

Default Re: Ivan the Gos (p/r 2014 bred)

Very nice mate.good size bird
Old 02-02-2016, 05:30 PM
Alex Brown
Haggard

DSC_0524.jpg

DSC_0525.jpg

DSC_0526.jpg

DSC_0527.jpg

DSC_0528.jpg

DSC_0532.jpg

DSC_0533.jpg

DSC_0534.jpg

DSC_0535.jpg

DSC_0536.jpg

DSC_0537.jpg

DSC_0540.jpg
Old 02-02-2016, 05:33 PM
Passage

Very nice hope you have some good luck with him.
Old 02-02-2016, 05:33 PM
Alex Brown
Haggard

DSC_0548.jpg

ATB

Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyMc View Post
Very nice mate.good size bird
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Love My Dog View Post
Very nice hope you have some good luck with him.
TY, so far so good with him. Now that the Gamebirds are done will be looking at Crows as well for the last 4 or 5 weeks I will fly him before heading home to moult.
Old 08-02-2016, 12:13 PM
Alex Brown
Haggard

Still plodding along with Ivan though the winds have been playing havoc. Taking a kill a day (when we can get out) with him and he has been really unlucky on a few crows as well so only rabbits thus far.

Now got his weight up around 1lb 12 1/2oz and flying really strongly and still an excellent recall.

Roll on some lighter winds and hopefully some corvids to add to the rabbits.
Old 09-02-2016, 04:48 PM
Alex Brown
Haggard

Finally a break in the weather, not a breath of wind,dry and bright. I decided to go to a small bit if land 5 minutes from the house and it took longer to drive there and walk the 2 minutes from the car to catch his rabbit. A nice chase across and down the slope then back up the slope taking it nicely just before it made safety. Sadly with grass being as wet as it was his tail and wing tips got soaked so let him pluck a bit did a few calls from trees to give him a decent workout then fed him up. Fingers crossed the weather stays like this.

He was a bit heavier than expected at 1lb 12 3/4oz but everything spot on.

12654420_10204805396527930_139407355501043405_n.jpg

12729198_10204805396767936_6127732056977872343_n.jpg

Alex
Old 09-02-2016, 05:00 PM
Bradley Church
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexB View Post
Finally a break in the weather, not a breath of wind,dry and bright. I decided to go to a small bit if land 5 minutes from the house and it took longer to drive there and walk the 2 minutes from the car to catch his rabbit. A nice chase across and down the slope then back up the slope taking it nicely just before it made safety. Sadly with grass being as wet as it was his tail and wing tips got soaked so let him pluck a bit did a few calls from trees to give him a decent workout then fed him up. Fingers crossed the weather stays like this.

He was a bit heavier than expected at 1lb 12 3/4oz but everything spot on.

Alex
Great to hear that Ivan did well, I hope this weather eases off now so we can enjoy the rest of the season. At least you have productive land close to home so you can get out quick in between the weather.

The flight sounded decent, powering back up that hill would've given good exercise. Are you getting hit at all by the decrease in Rabbit numbers?

Regards

Bradley
Old 09-02-2016, 05:23 PM
Alex Brown
Haggard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradazTheFalconer View Post
Great to hear that Ivan did well, I hope this weather eases off now so we can enjoy the rest of the season. At least you have productive land close to home so you can get out quick in between the weather.

The flight sounded decent, powering back up that hill would've given good exercise. Are you getting hit at all by the decrease in Rabbit numbers?

Regards

Bradley
Not really a big problem with rabbit numbers were still finding plenty, the weather has been a much bigger issue due to the constant high winds over the last few weeks and of course the rain has meant that many of the more open areas have hardly been touched, also I very rarely now go looming to catch anymore than a couple each day at the most and more commonly sticking to singles online there than when I have guests out.

I will keep Ivan going till mid March, and also helping Martin out with Judge as we now have an untouched male Harris now that will be flown in a cast with her once he's up and going.the was collected Saturday and was eating on the glove yesterday, lots to do with him but coming along nicely.
Old 09-02-2016, 06:13 PM
Bradley Church
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexB View Post
Not really a big problem with rabbit numbers were still finding plenty, the weather has been a much bigger issue due to the constant high winds over the last few weeks and of course the rain has meant that many of the more open areas have hardly been touched, also I very rarely now go looming to catch anymore than a couple each day at the most and more commonly sticking to singles online there than when I have guests out.

I will keep Ivan going till mid March, and also helping Martin out with Judge as we now have an untouched male Harris now that will be flown in a cast with her once he's up and going.the was collected Saturday and was eating on the glove yesterday, lots to do with him but coming along nicely.
Nice to hear that Judge is going to have a hunting partner in crime, be sure to post photos once they get going which I presume won't be until next season?

Bradley