Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > INTRODUCTIONS & FORUM GUIDANCE > Mentors, Courses & Apprenticeships > Cheshire

Old 15-07-2015, 07:27 PM
Gary Parker
Brancher

Default Re: Help offered for gamehawkers for mentorship

Hi Pete don't want to put my number up , there must be some way of getting in touch.Gary.
Old 22-07-2015, 05:16 PM
Brancher

Gary do you go to the CHC meetings?
Old 22-07-2015, 08:11 PM
Gary Parker
Brancher

Hi Pete, not in the Chesire mate in the BFC , but tend to go out with a few friends or bye myself . Hard to find good hawking ground on the Wirral all taken up by shooters, where are you on the Wirral maybe meet up for a pint and chat. Gary.
Old 22-07-2015, 11:49 PM
Michael Calvin
Haggard

As Gerry says...Cheshire hawking club would be a great thing to get involved with. Good Luck.
Old 23-07-2015, 09:14 PM
Brancher

Hi Michael really good to hear from you and appreciate the recommendation. Peter & I have already emailed eachother privately and he is going to visit the CHC.
The Cheshire Hawking Club has fieldmeets most weeks of the Season - if ever you are over from Aus you really must come and see us on a meeting. It must be quite a few years since we have seen you over here. How long is it now since you have been down under and and how is the WA Association going.
Old 23-07-2015, 10:29 PM
Michael Calvin
Haggard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Newton View Post
Hi Michael really good to hear from you and appreciate the recommendation. Peter & I have already emailed eachother privately and he is going to visit the CHC.
The Cheshire Hawking Club has fieldmeets most weeks of the Season - if ever you are over from Aus you really must come and see us on a meeting. It must be quite a few years since we have seen you over here. How long is it now since you have been down under and and how is the WA Association going.
Hi Richard,

It's going well here, our membership is small as expected but growing slowly, also as expected. In the past, whenever interested people have made enquiries about getting into flying hawks, they were drawn to the most publicly known 'falconers' (if you know what I mean) but in one or two cases in particular, they had no desire whatsoever to share with or encourage newcomers...a sort of 'It's mine, go away!!!' attitude followed up by 'falconry is illegal, I'm the only person allowed and licenced to do this'...bulldust!.

Now, we have a small but significant profile and people are finding their way to us and being advised as to exactly what they can and can't do and how to go about it.

Very recently we've had two young ex-pat Brits (who come with a fair bit of experience) get in touch and one of them is already working with a male Goshawk and doing a good job from what I can see. That's great. We also have members in 5 of the 7 Australian States and Territories which bodes well for our national umbrella group when we launch it in the coming months.

It's been a long haul and it won't be easy any time soon but we will continue to push forward with doing what we believe in, educating the public and welcoming and schooling newcomers. I should have started this much earlier, I first came here in the early nineties then moved out here in 99 for a couple of years then permanently in early 2007. Nothing changed from the first time I came her until very recently, such was the ingrained belief that falconry was a bad thing...when we know it's exactly the opposite when done well.

Anyway, thanks for providing me with the opportunity to sound off (I always take them!) and for sure I'll try to catch up with you guys when I visit with my son during Nov 2016.

I hope you all have a great and safe season, take care of each other, you have a great thing going there!

Best Regards, Michael.

PS. Please pass our details onto all your members and ask them to facebook it or whatever, the more comments on the site we get the better, they are all going on record and may really help us down the track as we push on. http://www.rrawa.com