Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > BIRD OF PREY TALK > Shortwings - Accipiter

Old 29-11-2013, 05:25 PM
Reza Parastar Namini
Brancher

Default Sparrowhawk trapping in IRAN

Hello all my dear Friends.
It was a long time that I was interested in trapping any kind of hawks or falcons. as some of you may taste its sweet anxious, it is a kind of sense completely defrent from the others and words can not tell your real feeling.
At first I went to a mysterious part of my country located near the border of Torkmanestan in north-east and it is a real heaven for Falcon Trappers specially sakers( white phasse such as AHMAR KASHEF & ABYAZ: arabic words).
The trappers mainly use pigeon noose (shebche or shanatah) and it was so starnge for me because they put it on the pigeon and then release it when then see the BALABAAN(Farsi word)=Saker=Hurr( arabic). and they seal one eye of pigeon with stick band and then chase the falcon with motor cross.
It was awsome. I saw kestrels any where very much even four of them in one wooden electerical pole.
I saw Sparrowhaks and Goshawks. I can remember that one day I could see a very beautiful pregrine (Bahri) and a very large Goshawk near one of Radar sites.
After 4 days I came back to Tehran and make some nooses same as what they use and try it for some birds. moreover I could build a trapping cage for trapping a hawk which was incredible and useful. I went to north of Iran near Rasht city where one of my friends informed me about sparrs and goses and after some days i could trap my first sparrowhawk. she is very very brave and keen and we could train it less than 6 days(thank you my dear friend ARASH). and the below you can see the photoes
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1537.jpg (89.3 KB, 1387 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1561.jpg (88.9 KB, 1372 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1919.jpg (96.1 KB, 1373 views)
File Type: png IMG_2093.png (85.0 KB, 1367 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2107.jpg (83.9 KB, 1365 views)
Old 29-11-2013, 07:13 PM
Gregor
Passage

Default Re: Sparrowhawk trapping in IRAN

Excellent, thank you for such a rare insight.
Have you had any success with your new Sparrowhawk?

All the best
Old 29-11-2013, 07:18 PM
Ian
Passage

Great little write up, thanks for sharing.
What will you hunt with your Spar?
Old 30-11-2013, 11:25 AM
Chick

Very nice! Please keep up the thread if you are able. Best of luck with the new bird.

Rob
Old 30-11-2013, 01:34 PM
Reza Parastar Namini
Brancher

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoaringHawk View Post
Excellent, thank you for such a rare insight.
Have you had any success with your new Sparrowhawk?

All the best
Dear soaring hawk,
many thanks.
we do our best to train the sparr to catch her desired hunt.
as you know the favorite bird for sparrs is lark and i want to concentrate on this bird for my hawk. she definitely can catch the pigeons but i think pigeons are suitable for sparrs with length of 34 cm (from shoulder to end of the tail) but mine is 32 cm.
i will share more news from my sparr.
regards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevarth View Post
Great little write up, thanks for sharing.
What will you hunt with your Spar?
Dear Ian,
i want my hawk to catch her favorite that are larks
actually i think if you can hunt with your hawk small quarry, it is highly better than big one which you fly for hawk as a quarry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by London Rob View Post
Very nice! Please keep up the thread if you are able. Best of luck with the new bird.

Rob
Many thanks Rob,
i hope and i will do it.
Old 30-11-2013, 02:55 PM
Brancher

This thread is what the International falconry forum is all about......or should be!, sharing experiences and methods across different nations and cultures
Fantastic please keep up the posts and all the best with your spar

Simon.
Old 30-11-2013, 03:02 PM
Ian
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unforgiven II View Post
Dear Ian,
i want my hawk to catch her favorite that are larks
actually i think if you can hunt with your hawk small quarry, it is highly better than big one which you fly for hawk as a quarry.
That is interesting. In our tradition we would not think the lark a natural favorite for a spar. We use Merlins for them. And for the spar we think blackbirds the natural quarry.
Good luck and keep us posted
Old 30-11-2013, 04:11 PM
Midge
Passage

Hi there nice hawk you have,and I agree some of the bigger quarry make it look easy for a spar,wish all the best in hunting more of the natural quarry (small birds) even if you dnt catch many you have a lot of fun trying,my hawk has caught a lot of different small birds some not intended,as stated the natural quarry for are sparrowhawks, are blackbirds and oh boy can they fly,you will get some really exciting flights on this quarry most with them evading the hawks,setup for flight is key for sucess,if you have blackbirds over were you are I would recommend if not any thrush sized bird will all make very good sport for you il leave you with a pic of my hawk with her natural quarry happy hunting.

Atb
Old 30-11-2013, 05:14 PM
Reza Parastar Namini
Brancher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Gypsy View Post
This thread is what the International falconry forum is all about......or should be!, sharing experiences and methods across different nations and cultures
Fantastic please keep up the posts and all the best with your spar

Simon.
Hi my dear friend Simon,
when i red your comment, i smiled. actually i am 100% agree with you.
i red a beautiful sentence in great Falconry magazine, IAF, in page 44: "if the goal of our activity is not hunting, then we are not talking about falconry".
many thank simon for your kind attention

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevarth View Post
That is interesting. In our tradition we would not think the lark a natural favorite for a spar. We use Merlins for them. And for the spar we think blackbirds the natural quarry.
Good luck and keep us posted
Dear Ian,
I dare say for hunting the sppars, the best bait for them is sparrows. specially the males because they make loud noise and they are more agile and have more mobility. according to my experiences if you put at least two sparrows in your cage, they move faster and make more noise.
I put two cages one sparrow and one with white pigeon. they were about 10 meters appart from each others. the sparrowhawk did not even look at pigeon but like F14 destroy the cage with sparrows.
it was really strange for me to see a good sparrowhak chasing the starling for more than 30 second about 10 inches above ground but the starling win the dogfight!!!!
Old 30-11-2013, 05:43 PM
Reza Parastar Namini
Brancher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macavelli View Post
Hi there nice hawk you have,and I agree some of the bigger quarry make it look easy for a spar,wish all the best in hunting more of the natural quarry (small birds) even if you dnt catch many you have a lot of fun trying,my hawk has caught a lot of different small birds some not intended,as stated the natural quarry for are sparrowhawks, are blackbirds and oh boy can they fly,you will get some really exciting flights on this quarry most with them evading the hawks,setup for flight is key for sucess,if you have blackbirds over were you are I would recommend if not any thrush sized bird will all make very good sport for you il leave you with a pic of my hawk with her natural quarry happy hunting.

Atb
Dear Macavelli,
many thanks for your comments.
i search in internet for black bird. it is not here in tehran. but in the north of iran i saw it many times but they are very coward and inteligent they never let you get close. please tell me how you can get close of them. moreover is your sparr male or female. i asked my qouestion due to its color. and please tell me what is your strategy when your sparr catch the quarry and move it up to the trees. what is your policy for small quarry which your sparr can carry them.
regards