Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > BIRD OF PREY TALK > Shortwings - Accipiter

Old 28-08-2015, 03:36 PM
Kevin Shone
Passage

Default Re: "Maia" 2015 Sparrow-Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyMc View Post
this time next week? He hasnt even got her yet
But he will have today this bird has already been held back by import work so no point waiting any longer. How's your mates spar doing?
Old 28-08-2015, 03:42 PM
Banned
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoney View Post
But he will have today this bird has already been held back by import work so no point waiting any longer. How's your mates spar doing?
Not to bad mate .she off the same breeder. Shes had 12 magpie if im correct
Old 28-08-2015, 03:46 PM
Kevin Shone
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyMc View Post
Not to bad mate .she off the same breeder. Shes had 12 magpie if im correct
That's good news. Somebody said on here she was for sale on bird trader. So how long after penning till she was hunting? Days?
Afew days on the line for Alex then off hunting and adjust weight as needed. If you friend done 2 weeks of manning after hard penning then his bird would probably not be entered now.
Old 28-08-2015, 03:49 PM
Banned
Passage

Quote:
That's good news. Somebody said on here she was for sale on bird trader. So how long after penning till she was hunting? Days?
Afew days on the line for Alex then off hunting and adjust weight as needed. If you friend done 2 weeks of manning after hard penning then his bird would probably not be entered now.
Couldnt tell you mate.i spoke to him on saturday and then on the phone last night.he never mentioned selling her.would seem silly if she was just entered.ill have to ask him.she wasnt for sale on saturday.unless she went on this week.

Quote:
Just txt him.he said no.
Old 28-08-2015, 04:33 PM
Alex Ashton
Passage

Quote:
Alex you will need to enter her on the biggest quarry you want her to take and then build on confidence not letting her take anything smaller until she is well into double figure kills. Once she is taking large quarry switching to smaller stuff is easy but enter on small stuff and your just asking for disappointment later on.

Why do you plan on 2 weeks manning before weight reduction? You can't man a fat bird in my opinion. Constant feeding on the fist and no hunting will result in aggression. You have had to wait long enough with importing her why wait any longer? get her killing and into a routine and everything else will fall into place. A p/r spar can be free and killing within 2 weeks your imprint could be killing by this time next week and would be all the better for it. The longer you wait the harder it will get. Also be very carefull of sunstroke mate.

Good luck mate. Kevin

Kev she will be weathered under a roof mate so not in direct sun light & no concern of the bath water becoming to hot! She has a loop perch for as night quartets in a nice cool room, with a fan if need be. I do leave 3 buckets out all day fella, makes for a perfect bath once work is finished lol, well during the winter any how!! In regards to the manning yes your right I totally forgot the fact she has been "manned" in general by someone so I'm sure once that weight comes down she'll click nicely. Do you think it may reduce noise mucker?? Not that I'm fussed anyway. In regards to entering I do agree, I think my biggest quarry (size-wise) will be a Francolin. I don't want to risk injury or death to her when I have a Goshawk that can do the bigger stuff! I intend to fly her at 5-6pm 6 days a week, I'm very lucky that weather & day light hours allow me to. Only just over an hour now lads!....Getting EXCITED!! 😝😝😝😝

Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 28-08-2015, 04:37 PM
Passage

I bet your like a kid on Christmas eve that's been fed blue smarties all day. Think you have got us all as excited as you. Not long to go make sure you let us know she arrives safe and well.
Old 28-08-2015, 04:42 PM
Alex Ashton
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Love My Dog View Post
I bet your like a kid on Christmas eve that's been fed blue smarties all day. Think you have got us all as excited as you. Not long to go make sure you let us know she arrives safe and well.

Yeah that gets washed down with Haribo & Coke! 😜. I've got more energy than my 2 & half year old son today haha!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 28-08-2015, 04:50 PM
Kevin Shone
Passage

Davey it was while you where banned mate somebody just said there was one on bird trader and somebody else said it was possible your friends but obviously not.

Alex if francolin are like partridge they shouldn't be a problem. Spars always love a fast wing beating gamebird. It's the larger quarry's that fight back that you want to enter on. I'd go for the magpie type thing haha

Atb kevin
Old 28-08-2015, 04:51 PM
Passage

Haha bet it's great fun in your house
Old 28-08-2015, 04:53 PM
Banned
Passage

Quote:
Davey it was while you where banned mate somebody just said there was one on bird trader and somebody else said it was possible your friends but obviously not.

Alex if francolin are like partridge they shouldn't be a problem. Spars always love a fast wing beating gamebird. It's the larger quarry's that fight back that you want to enter on. I'd go for the magpie type thing haha

Atb kevin
ah right ok mate.that was weeks ago.she doin well anyhow as far as i know