Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > BIRD OF PREY TALK > Shortwings - Accipiter

Old 11-08-2017, 03:12 PM
Bradley Church
Passage

Default Re: 2017 Goshawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshyA View Post
Well after the very unfortunate escape, the gutting death & after months of strong mixed emotions & feelings in regards to the Tiercel I acquired a few months back (I'm sure some will vouch!). I decided, with the help of close friends & my misses lol, I have made the choice to man the f**k up & not be beaten! I am collecting a 2017 a Pr Tierel on the 19th of August. He is a 3/4 Fin/alb bred by Paul Cannadine. & Ian Trotter. My aim is to simply to enjoy him & do my upmost best to make a decent bird of him! I have changed my job purely so I can fly him to our maximum capability! My hours are now 3:30pm-8:30pm, ideal for an Austringer lol. I will fly him 6 days per week no matter what. My plan is to make him to a hood & I intend on doing this by using small eyes holes, as is practiced in Pakistan. I hope to make a good all around bird of him although I hope & will try to push him on the Corvid front. I will be honest & not lie, I am slightly nervous after 3yrs out the game & never doing a a Pr Goshawk before I naturally expect the worse lol! I'm sure I'll be fine & cannot wait to be honest. After years or poxy luck I will not be beaten & let it get to me.
It's good to be back & I'm so excited on his collection & arrival.

Atb Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Alex,

I'm not going to lie, I was wondering if you had given it up after such a shaky re-introduction. I'm really pleased to hear that you haven't. He looks great, I can imagine it's a mix of excitement and nerves considering previous events? I take it this is your first PR Goss? It may end up working out better for you having a PR rather than an imprint. It's clear to see that you've given the bird the best chance to succeed, I hope this rewards you looking forward. I hope you'll update this thread as I'm sure everyone will be interested, me included. I'm really pleased for you, best of luck with him!

Happy Hawking,

Bradley
Old 11-08-2017, 08:46 PM
Shane
Brancher

All the best with your new charge

Looking forward to reading your challenges and successes

Good luck!
Old 11-08-2017, 09:35 PM
Andy Aitchison
Passage

Atb Alex look forward to your updates
Old 11-08-2017, 10:05 PM
Terry
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradazTheFalconer View Post
Alex,

I'm not going to lie, I was wondering if you had given it up after such a shaky re-introduction. I'm really pleased to hear that you haven't. He looks great, I can imagine it's a mix of excitement and nerves considering previous events? I take it this is your first PR Goss? It may end up working out better for you having a PR rather than an imprint. It's clear to see that you've given the bird the best chance to succeed, I hope this rewards you looking forward. I hope you'll update this thread as I'm sure everyone will be interested, me included. I'm really pleased for you, best of luck with him!

Happy Hawking,

Bradley
Hello Ashley

If you try to make him to the hood it can cause lots of problems and its unlikely to be successful. He'll resent it terribly even if you think its working.

Good luck though.

But it would be a shame to mess him up.

A box is much easier.

I've never seen a Goshawk that will take the hood properly. I've seen two males and one female that half accepted it. The female hated it after her first moult and couldn't be hooded thereafter.
Old 12-08-2017, 03:49 AM
Egg

Alex, I have always hooded my goshawks, most importantly you must have a proper fitting hood. I will say from my limited experience with parent reared they are much easier to train to the hood than imprints. I have never tried the Pakistan method of cutting small holes in the hood, but last season I used the help of a strobe light when training my parent reared tiercel Albidus and was very happy with the results. I think it is important to keep the bird hooded much of the time in the early stages of training for total acceptance. I have continued to slip in the mews after dark through the moult, take up my bird and hood him just to keep him from becoming resistant during the off season like goshawks often do. All goshawks get jacked up at times and it is so nice to slip the hood on and see the transformation to a bird setting quietly preening without a care in the world. With your intention to spend a lot of time in the field with your bird I would say you are on the right path for success.

Good luck,
Mitch
Old 12-08-2017, 11:12 AM
Haggard

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryS View Post
Hello Ashley

If you try to make him to the hood it can cause lots of problems and its unlikely to be successful. He'll resent it terribly even if you think its working.

Good luck though.

But it would be a shame to mess him up.

A box is much easier.

I've never seen a Goshawk that will take the hood properly. I've seen two males and one female that half accepted it. The female hated it after her first moult and couldn't be hooded thereafter.
Good advice.
Keith
Old 12-08-2017, 02:02 PM
Banned
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navek1987 View Post
I looked in to the palm nest (Pakistani hood taming) I don't think it is a way of making the bird to the hood , just a tool for manning it , the bird has the hood put in strait away and then every 3rd day the a hole is cut in the hood allowing the bird more vision , the bird is fed on the fist with the hood still on , step ups, jumps, small flights , all with the hood on , the hood only comes off 7 times in the total off 3 weeks ,,, I'm not sure if this would be enough to make the bird to the hood,,, I'm not sure tho so maybe if there is someone on here who as tried it they could let us no ,,, atb navek
Kev I was going to suggest this. Explain what your aim is and Keith might be able to offer you a solution.

Atb
Tom
Old 12-08-2017, 10:58 PM
Terry
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Barker View Post
Good advice.
Keith
Cheers. I was mad about try them for twenty years, and the brown field sites around the new town were fantastic hunting grounds. We didn't realise what we had back then. Lots of rabbits and a very stable wild Grey Partridge population. Sadly all gone now though.

Regards

Terry
Old 14-08-2017, 01:19 PM
Alex Ashton
Passage

Well I went up to Ian's yesterday evening & collected my Male. Have decided to name him "Chaos". Very pleased to say the least, he is feather perfect & looks a nice size! We didn't weigh him as it was late by them time I left & to be totally honest it makes no odds to me. Tapatalk will not allow me to log in today, soon as it does I'll upload some pictures of him. Ian kindly helped to fit his furniture, tail mount & tell. Ian is a top bloke with a great set up, would highly recommend to anyone else for a goshawk. "chaos" has been hooded since I collected him, but I will try him with some food later on this evening. Updates & pictures (fingers crossed) to follow. Alex
Old 15-08-2017, 11:22 AM
Alex Ashton
Passage

Well now that tapatalk has decided to work a few pictures of "Chaos"...

Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk