Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > BIRD OF PREY TALK > Longwings - Falco > Pursuit Hawking

Old 21-01-2014, 04:55 PM
Guy Simmonds
Brancher

Default Re: RC Planes and Falconry.

Thanks for that - going to do some de-sense to the plane tomorrow with the bird. Taxi out the plane with the lure trailing, pretty confident that the falcon will have no issues with the plane - he's pretty bomb proof and takes most in his stride. A little more practice of flying before I try it with the falcon

Guy
Old 21-01-2014, 08:54 PM
Andy
Passage

Hi Guy,

Are you doing this at the Zoo or outside?

Thanks
Andy (Luton!)
Old 21-01-2014, 09:17 PM
Guy Simmonds
Brancher

Hi Andy,

At the moment one of my pursuit falcons is being kept at the zoo - being used for bird deterrent work. Everything has to be thought through a lot more when flying there - to be honest the plane is going to be limited when flown there due to space and where the lure can land. But will come in useful for fitness training.

Guy

Old 13-02-2016, 12:52 AM
Brancher

Guys, anyone knows what types and models of RC planes are used on these races?
Old 13-10-2017, 05:51 AM
Egg

I'm very excited to hear that other people are using rc planes to train falcons. My question is speed. What speed has everyone had success with? I'm at a crossroads in my buying decision and would like everyone's opinion. I have the option of buying a slowing park flyer that flies around 30mpg or a "wing" that flies up to 70mpg. I'm conditioning a peregrine. I know that the slower of the two will be easier to fly but i'm afraid that it will be too slow. I know that I can attach a gps unit to both planes and have them "auto-fly" but i want what's better for the bird. Let me know what you think. Thanks!
Old 13-10-2017, 06:43 AM
Brancher

I have been messing about with a DJI Phantom drone/quadcopter to train my gyr/saker this season.
Seems to be going ok so far..
Not really sure about speed but I have been also getting the Harris to chase it across fields just for a laugh and she has become noticeably faster and more explosive off the fist !

ATB
John155
Old 13-10-2017, 07:21 AM
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by John155 View Post
I have been messing about with a DJI Phantom drone/quadcopter to train my gyr/saker this season.
Seems to be going ok so far..
Not really sure about speed but I have been also getting the Harris to chase it across fields just for a laugh and she has become noticeably faster and more explosive off the fist !

ATB
John155
That sounds awesome! I have a mhh that could use some speed as well. I have been contemplating getting a DJI phantom but have the dream of using an rc plane. I will probably do the sensible thing and get the drone
Old 13-10-2017, 08:07 AM
Brancher

I quite like the Phantom in that when bird takes the lure ect you can just turn off the controller and go to the bird whilst the drone returns to base and lands itself.....so long as you have set up the GPS to start with !

Having not used the technique before..... This season I have done abit of rope training also with my Harris using it to burn off the last bit of weight whilst training and have done at least 1 session a week to maintain since flying free.

The result a faster Harris than I have ever flown her before !

ATB
John155